PCOS/INSULIN RESISTANCE

Options
I thought for the past 2 years that I have just eaten my way 60 pounds heavier and have been a complete failure at any attempts at weight loss, until Monday when I visited my GYN doctor. She had ordered labs a few days prior because I had explained symptoms of weight gain, hot flashes, insomnia, anxiety, sluggishness, and malaise. One of these tests was an insulin level (NOT GLUCOSE). My insulin level was 46 and the normal range is 3-19, thus being diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). She explained to me that any attempt at losing weight would have been in complete failure due to my high insulin level, and that women with PCOS have a really difficult time losing weight.

I have been a member of My fitness pal since September 12, and had already changed my eating habits extremely. I had also started walking at least 3 days a week. Knowing now that there is a cause to my not being able to lose weight like I had before is a relief. She has now placed me on Metformin (which is a diabetic drug even though I am not diabetic). This is supposed to help lower my insulin levels and also control the symptoms of PCOS (read below)

PCOS symptoms that may develop gradually include:

Weight gain or upper body obesity (more around the abdomen than the hips). This is linked to high androgen levels.4
Male-pattern baldness or thinning hair (alopecia). This is linked to high androgen levels.
Repeat miscarriages. The cause for this is not known. These miscarriages may be linked to high insulin levels, delayed ovulation, or other problems such as the quality of the egg or how the egg attaches to the uterus.
Inability to become pregnant (infertility). This is because the ovaries are not releasing an egg (not ovulating).
Symptoms of too much insulin (hyperinsulinemia) and insulin resistance, which can include upper body weight gain and skin changes, such as skin tags or dark, velvety skin patches under the arm, on the neck, or in the groin and genital area.
Breathing problems while sleeping (obstructive sleep apnea). This is linked to both obesity and insulin resistance.2
High blood pressure may be more common in women who have PCOS, especially if they are very overweight. Your doctor will check your blood pressure.

The most common reasons that first bring women with PCOS to a doctor include:

Menstrual problems.
Male-type hair growth (hirsutism) on the face and body.
Infertility.
Weight gain or upper body obesity.

To sum this up, If you are a women who has tried and failed, had any of the symptoms above, get checked out. You could have the same problem.

Luck to all,
Amy Jo.

Replies

• robojet01
    robojet01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. I've been on the Metformin since the end of June and I have lost 11 lbs so far. Not much, but it's a start. It's also encouraging to know that I do indeed have a problem, not just "laziness" as most folks were quick to mention.
  • Pickedlast4gym
    Options
    Amen to your doctor!!!! I am a nurse turned lawyer....3 years ago I diagnosed a young friemd, sent her for testing, and the stupid doctor did nothing....nothing....she ended up having an invasive cadiac procedure, etc. At 22 they said she had metabolic syndromw....exercise more. FINALLY she went to a good doctor and was diagnosed with pcos....and is getting the rignt treatment. You are so lucky!!!!!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of us here on MFP. Do a search and you'll find a myriad support groups etc. Welcome to the party :)
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow I am so happy to see that I am not the only one with this issue. My doctor put me on Metforim as well, advising that I am a 'borderline diabetic' and it this is a very big concern of mine because I feel if I can just drop this stubborn weight then maybe I will feel better and can come off of the medicine, as it makes me feel sick. I am just hoping that it does not somehow make things worst.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Great info!

This was my experience as well with insulin resistance. Isn't it such a relief to know that you're not crazy, or lazy, or undisciplined, that it was really a metabolic disorder? Right there with ya.

Did your doctor put you on a special diet? Because that is the #1 most effective thing for PCOS and insulin resistance: a low-carb, high-protein diet. If all your doctor did was put you on Metformin, that's only a temporary fix, it treats the symptoms but not the underlying problem. My doctor put me on Metformin as well, but he specified that "this is only to jump-start your metabolism, you don't want to have to be on drugs indefinitely, there can be long-term side effects. Once you lose enough weight we'll reevaluate & get you off the drugs."

Here's how my doc explained it: eating carbohydrates stimulates the production of insulin, so if you avoid carbs, you will naturally limit the insulin in your system. Of course, then you have to get energy from *somewhere*, but your body is equally capable of creating energy by burning a combination of fat & protein. If there are no carbs available, that's what it will start doing. You just have to make sure and eat a LOT of protein (so that your body doesn't start harvesting what it needs from your muscles). My doctor did a three-hour metabolism test and determined that my optimum ratio is 5% carbs, 30% fat, 65% protein. I would recommend that you have your doctor do a similar test for you.
    http://www.diabetesnewsstand.com/vissue/vernon/titlepage.html

Again, thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sure there are a lot of women out there with this same problem! Great info!
  • amyjo5879
    Options
    Yeah, I am supposed to watch my carbs like a hawk. I am just using common sense and not eating processed and packaged foods. They will kill you on carbs. Also, I am trying to eat whole grains. Pretty much what she called a "no white diet", white rice, potatoes, etc. I am more motivated now knowing that I am indeed NOT lazy and that I have a support group right here on MFP to help me through all of this. I see what I am eating and actually this week have lost 2.5 pounds. Not a massive amount like The Biggest Loser, but I am not working out 5 hours a day either. Slowly but surely, I will get to where I want to be. I wish ALL of you luck and hopefully we can help each other through this journey.
  • Caperfae
    Options
    PCOS with IR here as well.
    I'm glad you got answers and a plan of action.
    All the best to you!!
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh My!!! No my doc didn't do all that for me!! It makes me a quite upset, I was simply told take these pills for 6 wks, come back and we will re-test your blood analysis. Thanks for the information, I will now have to totally revamp what I'm eating in a different way, so happy I came across fitnesspal!!
  • TwinBloom
    Options
    PCOS and IR here.I am on low-carb...high-protien diet,but being a vegan its difficult to get enough protien and i cant kill cravings in the evening.
  • amyjo5879
    Options
    Good luck to you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • amyjo5879
    Options
    One trick I have learned when I am just wanting to munch on something, and I know that I don't need it, is to BRUSH MY TEETH. lol.
  • agillispie85
    agillispie85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PCOS here as well. Just started back with MFP. I have a friend who has joined me here as well and she has PCOS as well.

I was diagnosed at age 17 and they put me on 'the pill'. Almost immediately I gained weight after being on the pill. I try talking to my doctor about the PCOS but she doesn't really give me the info I feel I need.. she just tells me 'when you're ready to have children, just come see me'.. almost like 'suck it up, you have PCOS and I don't have any information for you'. So I'm a bit lost in this journey.

I know that I need to cut my carbs WAY down and I have been doing better than in the past for the last 2 weeks. Is there a limit to exercising as to what I can do if I'm not getting that many carbs in one day? Should I go to my doctor and try to get put on metformin, would that help me lose the weight? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17. Do I have more difficulty losing weight? Of course...do I let it be an excuse? NO. PCOS is not an excuse to be overweight. In fact, if you stay in shape, your symptoms will be lessened! SO eat healthy (eating less gluten helps BIG TIME) and workout..LOTS OF CARDIO.... and you will have great success!!!!
  • amyjo5879
    Options
    Yes, I definitely haven't made all Good choices in the past 2 years that's for sure. Hopefully changing my lifestyle will abate the PCOS and I can start to see some progress.