Coffee Problem

Options
2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    I’ve made super easy cold brew in my Aeropress.

That thing is sheer engineering genius.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    I’ve made super easy cold brew in my Aeropress.

That thing is sheer engineering genius.

Do you have the "regular" size model? How much coffee does it make at one time? I presume it's the same with hot or cold. It seems like it makes a small cup, but it also suggests on the website that it's pretty strong and more like espresso. They seem to suggest adding boiling water to make "American coffee," which I translate to "Americano (espresso and water). I find an Americano not at all the same as a pour-over.

I should see if anyone I know has one and is willing to make me a cup of coffee (and another cup of cold brew for later).

I went to a coffee shop today that doesn't actually make coffee. I met a friend on his last day of work. He retires tomorrow. He always wanted to take a coffee break and SIT DOWN TO ENJOY it instead of filling our refillable cups and taking it to go. Well... not only didn't they have coffee, they only had paper cups. I got a Jasmine green tea, and guess what it tasted like? Yep. The paper cup. Very sad. I won't be back. Neither will he. We only went because it is a very convenient location, and he said, "It's the one place that it's guaranteed not to see anyone else from work."

I came home and made a pour-over decaf.

I do not have a problem!
  • springlering62
    edited February 1
    Options
    I’ve got the regular aeropress model.

I’m the only coffee drinker in my family, and I’m new to it since after the pandemic. I don’t know the coffee drinking or making lingo.

I simply add two scoops to the bottom (my mug is a two cup mug) half, add boiling water to the mark, stir to the slow count of 10, pop the top half in, and after three minutes, press it down to force it through the filter.

The heat forms a vacuum seal and the coffee brews inside the sealed “tube”

It makes a concentrate (?) that the instructions refer to as an espresso shot, and I add water and hot frothed milk to it.

To make cold brew, same process only you use cold water instead of boiling, stir for a full minute, pop the lid on and let it sit for ten minutes. Press, add more ice water, pour all over ice. Delicious with a bit of fat free half and half and a little sugar free syrup.

I’ve seen videos of people doing a fancy move where they brew it upside down. It’s supposed to make a richer coffee. It comes with warnings not to try. The one time I did, I shot boiling water all over me and the counter. No desire to attempt again.

It’s just an ingenious, beautifully engineered peice of plastic.

It’s marked to brew up to four espresso shots.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Thanks @springlering62

That's kind of what the website seemed to say. There's a nice man who still works where I used to work who uses one. I've been trying to get him in a canoe for years. Maybe I should "schedule a meeting" with him and see if he'll make me a cup. He probably offered once or more when I worked there, but usually by the time he was making one, I was done with coffee for the day.

Can you find the paper filters for sale locally, or do you have to order them? I like the idea of a reusable filter, and they sell one. I also like the idea of the paper filter removing the cafestol.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't really make traditional cold brew. I have a widget I keep in my freezer I can plop pour over through for very nice ice coffee. (One of these:
    https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/coldwave)

Here is my espresso corner of my dining room:
    lg43oovh7o8q.jpg

This is mid-shot. (The Decent machine has an Android tablet on top of it, and loads of monitors, so temperature, flow rate and pressure at each point of the shot are user-defined.)

This shot was the third off a new bag, so not completely dialled in. It was a bit over-extracted; the next one was very nice.

• springlering62
    edited February 1
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Thanks @springlering62

Can you find the paper filters for sale locally, or do you have to order them? I like the idea of a reusable filter, and they sell one. I also like the idea of the paper filter removing the cafestol.

I ordered a supply from Amazon when I first bought it, and wound up with so many, I sent some home with a kid. I’m still using up the first order. Probably have a years supply left. They are so tiny, thin and unlike the large fluted filters that I don’t worry about them. I’d be far more worried about the grounds than the filter. We are inner city. No yard other than a few bushes, def nowhere to attempt to compost.

I’d suggest a community compost bin but these are the laziest old possums you’ve ever seen in your life. We are two blocks from the “square” and some of these jokers drive there. My neighbor drives to the courthouse, which is literally 300 yards from his front door. Defies logic because he walks further than that from the parking deck. My suggestion for a garden club to landscape our pocket park was a major bust lol.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    I don't really make traditional cold brew. I have a widget I keep in my freezer I can plop pour over through for very nice ice coffee. (One of these:

lg43oovh7o8q.jpg

This is mid-shot. (The Decent machine has an Android tablet on top of it, and loads of monitors, so temperature, flow rate and pressure at each point of the shot are user-defined.)

This shot was the third off a new bag, so not completely dialled in. It was a bit over-extracted; the next one was very nice.

I'm curious about the freezer thing; the link didn't work for me.

It sounds like you definitely enjoy coffee, and it is NOT A PROBLEM!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I’d suggest a community compost bin but these are the laziest old possums you’ve ever seen in your life. We are two blocks from the “square” and some of these jokers drive there. My neighbor drives to the courthouse, which is literally 300 yards from his front door. Defies logic because he walks further than that from the parking deck. My suggestion for a garden club to landscape our pocket park was a major bust lol.

I compost very little around my house anymore. We've got opossums - they aren't native, but are naturalized. We also have raccoons. Worse than the opossums. And... rats. My neighbor has chickens. And ducks. And rabbits. And dogs. And a cat. And... goats. Yeah. So all that food attracts "vectors." I do still spread most of my used coffee grounds around. It's really good for the soil. We are fortunate that the company that hauls waste has a composting facility. For as long as I can remember, we've been able to put yard debris in a special cart. They sell the compost. Maybe a decade ago they started letting us put in some kinds of food waste and eventually ALL food waste. We can put contaminated pizza boxes, onion skins, crab shells, and even bones and animal fat in the bin and it gets composted. A nearby city has a waste hauler that also has a composting facility, but for the longest time they didn't have the permit for food waste. I think they finally got it. It's a really really good idea to keep that stuff out of the landfill and instead turn it into a resource.

We don't call it a Yard Debris Cart anymore - it's a Green Waste Cart. Mine is full pretty quickly after it's dumped these days - all the fruit tree pruning stuff. At some point, and I don't remember when, they started doing weekly collection instead of every other week. Some weeks it's nearly empty, and I don't bother to put it out. Other times of year, like now, it's always full. Sometimes the neighbors share space if they aren't filling up theirs and another neighbor has more than will fit.

It's sad this service isn't universal.

I do still have a compost bin out back. I do put a few things out there. It goes so slow....

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    edited February 1
    Options

lg43oovh7o8q.jpg

@mtaratoot, Remove the parenthesis that's at the end of the URL.

https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/coldwave
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

lg43oovh7o8q.jpg

@mtaratoot, Remove the parenthesis that's at the end of the URL.

https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/coldwave

Ah thanks! Neat idea. Kind of like Whiskey Stones.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I happened upon my friend who roasts coffee today. I told him about my latest "not a problem" of weighing my beans. Of course he asked if I sprayed my beans with a spritz of water before grinding because a recent study shows that it improves the coffee. No I don't. See? I don't have a problem....

I mentioned that I was interested in trying an aeropress. He said, "Hey, I don't use mine - I can loan it to you." He's a dive volunteer with me, and we have a shift Monday. I'll just give him a jingle on Sunday and remind him, and then I can decide if I want to buy one for myself.

Yay.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I normally spray my coffee (always for espresso, less reliably for filter). It is known as the Ross Droplet Technique (RDT). It reduces static, so slightly improves consistency.

There was a recent academic article on it https://www.cell.com/matter/fulltext/S2590-2385(23)00568-4

Some coffee Youtubers did various summaries, for example: https://youtu.be/nLnB99VJ0HE?si=zuFHzjICKDmcSvWh

If you want another massive coffee rabbit hole, water for coffee is a big one. I was using Peak Water filters (which get to a near-optimal Total Dissolved Solids with no further intervention.) However, they've been out of stock of replacement filters for a while. So I am going to start using distilled water and manually adding hardness to the desired level.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I am fortunate that we have very good tap water where I live. It makes good coffee.

We talked about the recent study last night when one of the people at the table my friend was at chastised me for being a heathen.

I currently don't have an espresso maker, so the spritz is perhaps less of an issue for me. I may find another espresso machine in my future, but I don't want another "cheap" model that only lasts a couple years. I can't justify a very nice model. I think my next two coffee tools will be a burr grinder (I've been saying that for years) and maybe an aeropress if I like the coffee the one I'm going to borrow makes.

I skipped my normal grocery store visit this week. I might run low on coffee. THIS could be a problem.....