Newbie Exercise Question

Options
Question...I have pain at the fronts of my legs from walking on the treadmill for the last 2 days (which are my very first 2 days). Shin splints? I see that I should mix it up so should I focus on weights today (I am supposed to get 30 of cardio a day) or get on the treadmill and push through it? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Shin splints and sometimes getting fitted properly for a pair of running shoes helps.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    you are just starting out. soreness is part of the game of working out. you are using muscles more intensly than normal. push through it. it's it's unbareable then just try another type of cardio or weights exersize.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    yeah get some good running shoes, asics or nike are good, both of which I like and rest when it hurts, it will get easier.
  • chocoholicandbaby
    Options
    I do suggest getting fitted for a good pair of walking shoes - when I first started walking a lot after being basically on bed rest at the end of my pregnancy (and put on lots of weight during that time) I used to get terrible pains in my shins, Since I was fitted properly for shoes though I haven't had any troubles.
  • Chef2B
    Options
    I got those too when I first started on a treadmill. I powered through, just didn't walk as hard. You can also try positioning your feet differently as you're walking. I'm flat footed so I tend to land on my whole foot, I started trying to focus on landing more on my heel then go to my toes. It actually helped.
    But FYI, you can also do lighter weights with more reps. That is considered cardio as well.

Good Luck to you!
  • mrsseasider
    Options
    can't say i've had pain when being on treadmill but if it was me i'd do weights and see you get on, see if the pain goes away. Good luck with your weight loss. :smile:
  • statia152
    Options
    Anytime you start a new exercise regime, you use new muscles. Always be sure to stretch before and after working out! I'm not a doctor, but I don't think it sounds like shin splints. Like mentioned before, good shoes are a must, not just for feet, but knees, hips and back too. Some massage, menthol rub, warm soak in the tub and time will most likely solve those aches. If you still have problems in 3 days, get it checked out. XOXO
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will be sure to look into a better pair of shoes. I am wearing walking shoes but I have had them for like over 5 years. I actually haven't used them much in those five years but maybe I should upgrade to something new. I have been very inactive for the last few years. The pain is at the very front of my legs under my knees down. I am going to decrease my speed a little bit and power through it. I think I may do the weights while walking on the treadmill today to focus on my arms as I need a lot of work there. Maybe that will make up for the decrease in treadmill speed? Thanks so much for the encouragement. I can't believe I am only 5 days into my new lifestyle and I have dropped seven pounds already. Giving up pop and drinking water was huge as my dietician said I was taking in over 3,000 calories a day while basically sitting still as I work as a writer and there is nothing aerobic about that! lol :) I am eating so healthy now that I can't eat all the food I am supposed to. Last night at dinner my plate was full of food and I had to force myself to eat all of it. When I was eating empty high calorie foods I really wasn't eating huge quantities but they were super high in fat, salt and calories. The actual physical amount of food I get to eat now is quite a lot and I have only had one instance of feeling hungry so it is going well. Thanks so much! :)