LESS Alcohol ~ FEBRUARY 2024 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• OllyBooBoo
    OllyBooBoo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    In for February to keep the momentum going...

AF - 1
    A - 0
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend! It is great to see early posters checking in for the month. Very motivating!

@lmlmrn It’s SO great to hear from you and thank you for sharing your personal journey to LA! Your story is inspiring.

@lisalouc Glad you’re joining us!
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 511 Member
    edited February 3
    Options
    @globalhiker CONGRATULATIONS! Wow, wow you should be so proud of your accomplishments!

I listened to a neuropsychologist from NYU speak on Doctor’s radio a couple of days ago (reflections of a Dry January) and he explained something really interesting.

His opinion is there are many, many, many levels of alcohol consumption (from occasional, and mild to excessive and serious) and his research indicates that individuals fall into one of four buckets of what they get out of drinking. They are: high reward, low reward, high relief and low relief.

I know I am mostly high reward, meaning I include wine (associate with) fun and celebrations and the act of drinking escalates my reward of doing so. Doesn’t mean it’s necessarily a good thing.

Then I can fall into the high relief when I have used A to cope with stressful situations. I think a low relief person is drinking but not finding enjoyment or relief anymore.

I usually don’t like to quote things without citing the source so I’m going to see if I can find the research or article and share it.

Have a great weekend my LA friends.