HOW do you view a recipe in this app?

Options
karmamido
karmamido Posts: 2 Member
I first became familiar with this app about 10 years ago. I typed in a few recipes, and, by golly, they are still there (or "here")! But I noticed many other "variations on a theme" when I did a search (type "Green Goddess Smoothie" and you'll see what I mean). However, I am unable to actually VIEW the recipe (ingredients and amounts/etc). Is that no longer possible? Thanks! karmamido

Best Answers

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,969 Member
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    From your home page, select "more"=bottom right. Then select "recipes, meals and more" then "recipes". From there, just scroll until you find your own recipe that you want.
    The three dots on the upper right of the recipe allow you to edit the recipe.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,325 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In case this is part of the question (I'm not sure): You can do the above for your recipes . . . but there's no way to look at the details of everyone else's recipes for things in the MFP food database like "meat lasagna" or "bean soup" or "farmers omelet" or whatever. AFAIK, it never was possible to see those. (I've been on MFP since mid-2015, continuously.)

It's a good idea not to use those database entries, since there's no way to know what's in them, and whether that's like the one we're eating. I only use them if I need to estimate something from restaurant/friend's house and I have no clue what's in it. Then, I'd probably pick a high-ish calorie typical entry from the database for a similar dish.

Answers

• sdavisrdh
    sdavisrdh Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 3
    Options
    I’ve been on MFP premium for a few years. I am a home cook and love developing healthy recipes. This has been a sore spot with me as I create “my recipe” in mfp; I can see the macros etc but to actually see the ingredients in the recipe you have to go back into “edit” each time you want to view the recipe. There is no other way to view your recipe. I WISH MFP would change that as it’s very frustrating and time consuming to view the recipe!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,316 Member
    Options
    The recipe function isn't there for you to cook from. It's there to make it easy to log things that you make frequently.

I have a recipe for the buttermilk cornbread I make several times a year. I've been making it so long I never have to look at a recipe. I did have to edit the recipe a while ago when I got a second cornbread "triangle" pan. I now have two corn stick pans and two cornbread triangle pans. That means one recipe makes 30 "servings" since there are seven sticks per pan and eight triangles. Then when I eat a piece of cornbread, I can just log one piece.

I also make bean soup frequently. The recipe isn't exactly the same each time, but it's close enough even if I use different kinds of beans. I have that recipe written so that "one serving" is one gram. I can weigh my soup and log it easily.

Also, if you are using MFP to store the ingredients for a recipe you make, is it really THAT MUCH TROUBLE to click one more time? It's more difficult in my experience to actually FIND the right recipe. It took me less than one second to click "edit" when I just looked up a recipe. I can afford that much time.

• Grace4132
    Grace4132 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The recipe ‘feature’ on this app completely sucks. It might say six servings, but what is the serving amount? And for your recipes, to see the recipe you have to edit. Totally frustrating.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,316 Member
    Options
    What "recipe feature" are you talking about?

If it's YOUR recipe, you get to say how many servings it is. If it's a recipe from the Blog, well, you can figure out how much the recipe makes and divide by the number of servings to figure out what a serving is. That seems really easy to me. If you think it sucks, then my best recommendation is don't use it. Find another recipe management tool that works for you and just use MFP to enter the food you eat. Of course you have to figure out how much a "serving" is no matter what recipe management tool you use or you can't log what you eat.

I have no problem using the recipe feature as intended. I put in common things I make and use 1 gram to mean one serving so when I make something I make often, I can just weigh out what I eat and that's how many servings. Maybe that would work for you.

Best wishes.