Should I stand and eat instead of sitting down?

Options
I feel that standing would be more beneficial but getting mixed opinions because sometimes I feel like I should sit to enjoy my meal

Google told me that standing will help the food go down better but said its bad if we walk and eat at the same time

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    Generally, it's not going to matter, except based on personal preferences.

Think about it: The path from mouth to stomach via esophagus is in the same orientation whether you sit and eat or stand and eat. Why would the food go down better standing? Right now, I need to take a drug that requires I must be upright for half an hour after I take it. The official instructions say sitting upright or standing - either one - are fine.

Many people find that if they sit and eat slowly and mindfully, the fullness registers better, so it's easier for them to stick within their calorie goal. That's not true for everyone, but it's a consideration.

If you look more carefully, different web sites say different things about the value (or risks) of eating standing vs. sitting. I'd say don't overthink it, and do what seems to work best for you.

Here is one more balanced article from a respected major medical center that discusses the pros and cons:

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2022/08/sitting-versus-standing-while-eating

P.S. If you're finding difficulty with eating while sitting, such as difficulty swallowing, heartburn or acid reflux, please see your doctor to rule out any serious health condition that may cause the symptom.

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Indi_Gold2 wrote: »
    I feel that standing would be more beneficial but getting mixed opinions because sometimes I feel like I should sit to enjoy my meal

Google told me that standing will help the food go down better but said its bad if we walk and eat at the same time

I mean, if it makes you feel better, then sure, do it, there's nothing "wrong" with it. But I sure wouldn't. I sit for every meal. Or I'd never eat.
  • Indi_Gold2
    Indi_Gold2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Generally, it's not going to matter, except based on personal preferences.

Think about it: The path from mouth to stomach via esophagus is in the same orientation whether you sit and eat or stand and eat. Why would the food go down better standing? Right now, I need to take a drug that requires I must be upright for half an hour after I take it. The official instructions say sitting upright or standing - either one - are fine.

Many people find that if they sit and eat slowly and mindfully, the fullness registers better, so it's easier for them to stick within their calorie goal. That's not true for everyone, but it's a consideration.

If you look more carefully, different web sites say different things about the value (or risks) of eating standing vs. sitting. I'd say don't overthink it, and do what seems to work best for you.

Here is one more balanced article from a respected major medical center that discusses the pros and cons:

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2022/08/sitting-versus-standing-while-eating

P.S. If you're finding difficulty with eating while sitting, such as difficulty swallowing, heartburn or acid reflux, please see your doctor to rule out any serious health condition that may cause the symptom.

Thank you so much! Very helpful information
  • Indi_Gold2
    Indi_Gold2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Indi_Gold2 wrote: »

I mean, if it makes you feel better, then sure, do it, there's nothing "wrong" with it. But I sure wouldn't. I sit for every meal. Or I'd never eat.

lol I had a bad habit of walking and eating (being from nyc) it's good that you made a rule for yourself to sit and enjoy your meal
  • caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    if you are wearing a fitness tracker, you'll get a few more steps :D

from your lips to the other end, you are basically a 23' long tube....with many twists and turns....i really don't think it amounts to a hill of beans as to whether you sit or stand

major on the majors and don't worry about this one
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,678 Member
    Options
    One thing to note has to do with posture while eating. Specifically, for years I ate in front of the TV, bending far forward to eat off a plate sitting on a low coffee table. As I've gotten older, however, when I eat this way I have become prone to stomach cramps and/or hiccups. But if I sit at the dining table which is much higher, my posture becomes more vertical and these eating issues disappear.