LESS Alcohol ~ FEBRUARY 2024 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• 2timesacharmmfp
    2timesacharmmfp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @I_am_motivated to answer your question re: N/A drinks - In my opinion, just as you said, it is entirely up to personal preference and what your specific goals are. I personally do not consider them as drinks on my AF days whether it is a few drops of bitters in my sparkling water or an N/A beer but will still track the NA beer in my food diary as they do have calories.
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    @i.am.motivated The main premise behind this group is to choose Less Alcohol and in my opinion, a Stella NA 0.0 beer is a non-alcoholic beverage and I might have one on an AF day as there is no alcohol in the product. But I don't drink them too often and prefer sparkling flavored waters. Hope that helps!
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I believe I already know the answer to this question, but I'm putting it out here to " The Group" for comments anyway. Has anyone been successful in convincing a loved one, friend or spouse, to look at their [the loved one's] drinking habits and modify them ?? Looking at myself, I'd say it's only possible to change one's own habits, and only if you yourself want to.
    Little background...drunk ex-SIL has been a daily overdrinker since a teen, going on 40 years now. After 20 years DD gave up, got a divorce and is now happily remarried for 7 years. His current gal friend of 5 years is a super sweet person who is now expressing extreme annoyance at the alcohol abuse, threatening to quit him. Ex-SIL drunk-called DD last week [they share a son] all mopey about life in general, and DD asked him if he had ever considered going to AA ?? His response was "WOW !!"...as in, that's a ridiculous idea, doesn't apply to ME, I have no problem. I think
    that's the first time anyone has dared suggest to him that his behavior is problematic.
    Should we continue to just tip-toe around this issue, or is there a way to wake him up ?? 40 years is a long time to be in denial.

Me ?? One glass on the 1st of the month to go with a lovely steak dinner...then the bottle of Chianti was mysteriously empty. 🍷🍷🍷🍷 NA from then on, with no desire. Always easier to abstain rather than moderate, for me.

Thank you @MissMay for another month !! Keep up the good fight, peeps.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the time and effort that was put into collecting all the info for this group. Lots of great info. It is definitely more doable to succeed quitting alcohol when you have help from others. So thankful to have found this group. Everybody is so kind and not ashamed to share moments of weakness.
    Do y'all feel that drinking N/A beverages defeats the purpose of quitting or shouldn't count as an AF day? I know it's personal preference, but I feel so much better after 5 days of no alcohol. I did drink n/a beverages on those 5 days.
    I am in a destination that thrives on drinking. Fine time to quit drinking. LOL. I'm at an RV resort where they have two Tiki Huts with full bar. My husband and I are part-time RVers and parked it for 2 months (Jan-Feb) to get away from the cold. I'll be glad to get away from the temptation as I have a bad case of FOMO.
    I hope everybody has a successful day!!!

NA substitutes do not defeat the purpose of quitting drinking! Go ahead and enjoy them. You still get the social aspect of a special drink in the right glass , so no need for FOMO. It’s a great substitute for alcohol. I hear there are a lot of great NA beers and even some NA spirits that are good. Alas and alack for us wine drinkers, NA wine is Gawd-awful.
  • I_am_motivated
    I_am_motivated Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As of Feb. 4
    Goal-no alcohol the rest of the month

A-0
    AF-6