Who else is on the carnivore diet?

Options

Replies

• foldinthecheese
    foldinthecheese Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good point on the last stop. In this case I was more alluding to the last stop on a train line for instance, since the previous poster said most people on the carnivore diet will have exhausted all other diets.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited February 12
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Why did you decide to go carnivore?

I did a lot of research on it. First of all I have arthritis in my hands pretty bad and acid reflux. All the YouTube videos of people that have done this diet pretty much lose arthritis pain and acid reflux. I’m overweight as well and it’s been harder to lose weight and stay on a diet. Seen a 60yr old YouTuber that is on this diet and he lost 40 pounds in two months. Soo many people are going to comment on this saying carnivore diet is bad and you need vegetables. But not everyone is the same. Whenever I eat vegetables, I bloat bad and have gas. Love broccoli and green beans but after I eat them it’s rough. I honestly feel great right now. It works for me. After I hit my goal weight, I will probably slowly and with moderation bring back some carbs and vegetables. But at this rate I should hit my goal weight in a few months or sooner. I think part of why I feel soo good is because I’ve completely took out sugar. Everything nowadays has sugar.

I'm glad this is working for you.

I've heard the same health claims about eating vegan or vegetarian, and WFPB, and possibly more. (I'm not recommending this for YOU, just saying.) I wonder if it's more what the people who receive health benefits are NOT eating, rather than what they are eating.

That's exactly what a carnivore diet is, an elimination diet. The healthier outcomes are from what they're not eating.

Also any diet when compared to the SAD diet, like a vegan or MED for example, those studies will show improvement in most health markers and it's basically just the simple fact that replacing highly processed foods with more whole foods delivers some health benefit, not to mention the healthy user bias. Peoples susceptibility and tolerances to different food sensitivities lives here and an individual journey of discovery is the only way to find out and until they do it themselves, otherwise it can be all noise, distraction and confusion.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    sounds like a recipe for kidney stones
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    elfin168 wrote: »

Most kidney stone, albeit not all, are calcium oxalate stones. There is no oxalates in meat, so the most common kidney stones can't form. Nice try though.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Most kidney stone, albeit not all, are calcium oxalate stones. There is no oxalates in meat, so the most common kidney stones can't form. Nice try though.

Yeah, it's a popular misconception that meat is the cause of kidney stones through the increase in uric acid, which happens but it represents about 10% of stones. Too much calcium accounts for about another 10% which leaves oxalates for the 80% left which are found in plants.

Can't really blame people for not knowing when they've only been fed information that is intended to form opinions to influence future behaviors, which is to put meat in a bad light, more specifically red meat.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Yeah, it's a popular misconception that meat is the cause of kidney stones through the increase in uric acid, which happens but it represents about 10% of stones. Too much calcium accounts for about another 10% which leaves oxalates for the 80% left which are found in plants.

Can't really blame people for not knowing when they've only been fed information that is intended to form opinions to influence future behaviors, which is to put meat in a bad light, more specifically red meat.

For sure. Big bad brocolli, out to destroy the futures of American children everywhere. But yes, you're right in that oxalates do form a decent percentage of kidney stones. But they are caused usually by multiple problems coming together. You're unlikely to get kidney stones from eating the recommended amount of vegetables unless other causes also come into play (severe chronic dehydration being the biggest one).

Kidney stones are probably the least of a persons worries when it comes to oxalates. They're mainly known to interfere with the absorption of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc. They can muck with thyroid hormones, which helps regulate metabolic rate and energy production. Oxalates can effect neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine which can and do effect our mood and cognition and they also can damage nerve endings and brain cells which can effect our memory, and simple things like coordination, especially as we age. Oxalates can also accumulate in our joints and result in symptoms like arthritic stiffness and swelling, so yeah other things come into play with oxalates.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,922 Member
    Options
    Oh no! First they tell me my celery juice doesn't cure anything and now you tell me my broccoli 's making me sick!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Haha, yeah, no broccoli doesn't have much in the way of oxalates, and celery is only good with cheese wiz lol.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    The oxalates come mostly from spinach, berries and milk chocolate :open_mouth: (at least in the American diet)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,631 Member
    Options
    Uh oh. What you talking about Bob? 🤯 I may have to reconsider my life choices and the percentage of my daily vegetables consisting of cocoa!!!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Uh oh. What you talking about Bob? 🤯 I may have to reconsider my life choices and the percentage of my daily vegetables consisting of cocoa!!!

Guess that means my chocolate spinach smoothie is out of the question then.
  • lytleart2016
    lytleart2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just weighed this morning at 225. Sorry I haven’t been on. 12 pounds down in three weeks! Pretty happy with it so far. Goal is 200
  • lytleart2016
    lytleart2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    211 today!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite carnivore but, I'm close. I ate 6 hamburger patties one day and lost weight for that week. I try to keep my carbs and sugars low, very low. I think around 50 carbs per day. For the first time in my life I feel I'm on a sustainable meal plan. I don't call it dieting, it's meal planning. Several carnivore diet doctors don't even count calories and some others that I have seen interviewed.

I love this thread!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Where is the fiber that helps you poop like a regular (no pun intended) person?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,631 Member
    edited April 8
    Options
    Fat lubricates the 💩 tubes🤷‍♂️
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Where is the fiber that helps you poop like a regular (no pun intended) person?

As long as fat levels are reasonable things will move along without issues. I have done carnivore in the past and my bathroom schedules were exactly the same as before going carnivore.