Does iced tea = water?

Options

Replies

• Jennilvmp
    Options
    I live on the flavor drops, but I only put a drop to barely flavor it. It feels like a treat to me and I drink more water that way!!!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda therefore I drink water. Diet soda is 95+% water, but I don't log it as such. I don't really care. If I am thirsty, I drink. As long as I get my 64 of water, I am fine. Which reminds me. "Nurse, I am ready for my proctoclysis now" Look it up and you will get the joke.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    The main ingredient in Coke is water...someone wise told me so

Funny!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I drink quite a bit of iced tea and want to know if I should be counting it towards my daily water total or is the water in addition to the tea? Also, what about diet soda? Can it be counted towards your water?

I do not count anything that has caffeine in it because caffeine is a diuretic (A diuretic provides a means of forced diuresis which elevates the rate of urination. There are several categories of diuretics. All diuretics increase the excretion of water from bodies, although each class does so in a distinct way) which causes the body to flush fluids instead of using it for hydration.

If your pee stinks and has real color (not just a tinge of yellow) you are not hydrated and need to rethink your definition of water. If it's fine, whatever you're doing is working or you.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    As long as there isn't much caffeine, you are fine counting it.

Drinks with high caffeine like Coke and black tea and coffee cause you to pee more than you gain in water... so don't count those.

But green tea or herbal teas have negligible amounts of caffeine usually, so I count them.

Oh, don't count booze for the same reason.

Very good answer, and I follow this too.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this keeps coming up and keeps being misrepresented. Several people continue to post actual research and it is routinely ignored for conventional wisdom and semantics ("If tea was water it would be called water...").

Do what you want for yourselves, People, but why continue to give advice to others that has been proven wrong?
  • missyouhoo
    missyouhoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have a uneducated no on this one its like diet soda it may make you fatter
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If it's calorie free, count it as water. I haven't seen a medical study on this but my source is Lindora (lindora.com).

Lindora has a medically-supervised weight loss plan that has helped hundreds of thousands of people lose weight over the past 40 years. My GF runs their largest clinic so I got lots of pointers when I was losing weight.

When I was losing weight I drank mostly coffee and iced tea. I'm just not that into water, even if it's been purified with scotch or bourbon. :-)

Many folks claim that you shouldn't count iced tea as water because caffeine is a diuretic. That's true. It's also true that water is poisonous. Yes, water will kill you…and not just from drowning.

What's missing from the statements "caffeine is a diuretic" is that they don't disclose the conditions under which caffeine is a diuretic nor have I ever seen anyone cite the impact on different individuals nor has the dosage been addressed. Other than that, the statements were completely valid!

I can't cite the source but, since I try to avoid drinking plain water, I looked into the diuretic effect. I found a few articles (not blog postings or posts here on MFP) that said that the diuretic effect was low and was minimal for anyone who used caffeine on a regular basis.

I realize that I've been vague so a few seconds on Google and…

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
    To me, Mayo is a trusted source but the page doesn't give any info on how much of a diuretic effect.

http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/page3.htm

Like the Mayo article, no mention of how much of a diuretic nor was it controlled - the participants were told to not use caffeine which does not mean that the subjects did not consume caffeine.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/537881-diuretic-effect-of-caffeine-in-soft-drinks/?utm_source=popslideshow&utm_medium=a1
    Again, minimal metrics.

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/caffeine.html
    Addresses the issue but no metrics. "There is no conclusive evidence that caffeine in beverage form is dehydrating. Its diuretic effects are usually compensated for by the beverage's fluid content. "

From the New York Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html
    They cite sources.

From the Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

And it has citations (which I haven't checked)
    The money shot - "Caffeine has diuretic properties when administered to people who are not used to it, but regular users develop a strong tolerance to this effect, and studies have generally failed to support the common notion that ordinary consumption of caffeinated beverages contributes significantly to dehydration."
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Water = Water
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital where tracking fluid intake and output is a daily requirement, so I'm going with the slightly personal but very observable answer that we use as a rough guideline - if your pee is light-yellow, you're fine. If it's dark, then you need to drink more fluid. Iced tea is probably fine if you're drinking enough of it... and a little diuresis never hurts if you're trying to lose (water) weight ;-)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I say, if you drink anything other than plain water, you track it in your diary.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I say, if you drink anything other than plain water, you track it in your diary.

We dont need WATER. we need FLUID!

Sigh....

128744475103385009.jpg
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I count my iced teas as water.

First off diet anything is gross. =]
    And pop has way too many chemicals to be counted as water... ew.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    If I only logged water as water I'd die of water toxicity.

And if tea dehydrated you, I'd be a desiccated corpse.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    As long as there isn't much caffeine, you are fine counting it.

Drinks with high caffeine like Coke and black tea and coffee cause you to pee more than you gain in water... so don't count those.

But green tea or herbal teas have negligible amounts of caffeine usually, so I count them.

Oh, don't count booze for the same reason.

Very good answer, and I follow this too.

Green tea has more caffeine than normal black tea.

And herbal tea has no caffeine at all, if it's a caffeine free herb.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you quoting the good Doctor.

Here's a link to another of his papers:

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full
  • marcibar
    Options
    For me personally only water is water, but it's really the only thing I drink. Once in a while I drink OJ and maybe once a month a beer. But I love water.
  • ninjapleaz
    Options
    It's an old wives tale that iced tea doesn't count as water. As a matter of fact, anything with water in it counts as water. Back in the old ages, NOBODY drank water, they drank mostly beer and wines and noone ever dehydrated after only drinking those. Why? Because there is water in them! Iced tea has a miniscule amount of cafeine in it to dehydrate you. How many people per day check into the emergency ward at a hospital because all they've been drinking is beer, Coke, coffee, and tea? Seriously, it's an ignorant myth that needs to end.
  • civilwartamarin
    Options
    Aside from the scientific evidence provided demonstrating that tea hydrates a person about the same as water, you can also think of it this way. If you drink 72oz of water, you can report that you've consumed 9 cups of said liquid, correct? Okay, we've consumed 9 cups of water. Now I want something to chew on for 3-5 minutes. I choose to chew on 6-8 tea bags. The tea bags do not own a Delorean, thus the 9 cups of water remain consumed and remain counted. I suggest reporting the tea bag itself as a snack, such as gum (j/k):) So you're in the clear to report the tea as water. Even if the order of events listed above is rearranged slightly. Plus, as has been touched upon elsewhere, the British exist.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of tracking water. Drink when you're thirsty.