Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
raccdt468
raccdt468 Posts: 14 Member
edited February 16 in Getting Started
Tomorrow I start my journey with meal replacement shakes. Is there anyone on this path to weight loss? And how's it going? I'm shooting for 6 months to a year.
Tagged:

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Is this doctor suggested / monitored? Or is this by choice? A little bit more info would help. The only time I've ever used protein shakes as meal replacements were during and after a couple serious illnesses, so I'm curious as to your intention.
  • raccdt468
    Options
    These meal replacements shakes are by choice and for weight loss. I'm trying to cut back on calories and at the same time receive all the nutrients from the meal replacement that regular protein shakes do not have.
  • raccdt468
    Options
    Thank you so much. I love food and I would not tell anyone to steer off from that. I want to try something different and see if it works for me. With food it was very difficult for me to lose the weight. And this is true, when your emotions come in to play; you get all anxious and all other kinds of emotions. I tried a lot of diets with food and all failed. But just maybe combining both might just do the trick.
  • raccdt468
    Options
    Thank you springlering... big help.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    raccdt468 wrote: »
    Thank you so much. I love food and I would not tell anyone to steer off from that. I want to try something different and see if it works for me. With food it was very difficult for me to lose the weight. And this is true, when your emotions come in to play; you get all anxious and all other kinds of emotions. I tried a lot of diets with food and all failed. But just maybe combining both might just do the trick.

If you'd been considering only eating meal replacement shakes for months, I'd encourage you to consider eating nutrient-dense regular foods for at least one meal daily, on theoretical grounds.

The theoretical grounds: Nutrition is still a very active area for scientific research, with important new discoveries still happening. I'm old, 68. Over the course of my life, many "new" essential and beneficial nutrients have been "discovered" scientifically. Once those discoveries are confirmed, the nutrients may be included in good-brand meal replacement shakes. But they were in real foods all along, even before "discovery". I'm pretty sure science isn't through discovering good stuff.

I think eating real, nutrient-dense food is a bet hedge for getting closer to optimal nutrition. You may not agree, and that's your call, of course.

As an aside, I don't know what type/brand of meal replacements you're considering. I feel especially skeptical of those that claim they have 17 (or 33, or 45 or whatever) different herbs, veggies, fruits, adaptogens, supplements, etc., in a small scoop or two of green powder. There isn't much of any one useful thing in those, often not the quantities that may've been tested and found beneficial in relevant research on the individual components. It's gee-whiz marketing in those cases, more than a "complete nutrition" solution in reality. I'm not saying all brands do that, but it's not a super unusual strategy, either.

Wishing you success, whatever route you choose! The results are for sure worth the effort.

P.S. As context: Everyone who's commented on this thread has been successful here at weight loss, and most of the bunch successful at maintenance, too. You're hearing voice of experience with weight management, even where there may not be - as in my case - a track record of long-term meal replacement use.

• raccdt468
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. Yes, this is my first try at meal replacement shakes. I'm just trying out of curiosity and because I've the weight loss results in a friend's personal life. If it doesn't work out, then back to two full or three full whole meals a day and figure that out.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,931 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. Yes, this is my first try at meal replacement shakes. I'm just trying out of curiosity and because I've the weight loss results in a friend's personal life. If it doesn't work out, then back to two full or three full whole meals a day and figure that out.

I think it's great to be curious and open to new possibilities. If you do go back to regular meals, I would bet there will still be times those shakes will come in handy, if you stay open.

My personal experience--great for supper with lots of crushed ice on hot summer nights of mowing and yard work--just too hot and tired to cook or eat.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »

I think it's great to be curious and open to new possibilities. If you do go back to regular meals, I would bet there will still be times those shakes will come in handy, if you stay open.

My personal experience--great for supper with lots of crushed ice on hot summer nights of mowing and yard work--just too hot and tired to cook or eat.

Unfortunately my go-to meal in that situation would probably be a couple of cold ciders 🙄
  • Songbird_30
    Songbird_30 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I used 4 total meal replacement shakes daily for 3 months and no exercise, under a doctors monitoring, looking at losing between 5-15% of my body weight (I lost 8%).
    I then introduced healthy low fat balanced meals one a fortnight swapping out the shakes while walking 5-10,000 steps a day.
  • raccdt468
    Options
    Interesting sonbird. You actually went to the doctor and they gave you that prescription. I just started and am having a mild laxative effect, but will continue to see what happens.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you are having a mild laxative effect try different brands. I know that several do not agree with me so it was a learning curve. There are so many choices now.
  • raccdt468
    Options
    Thnx pony 4us
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited February 19
    Options
    It could be the artificial sweetener. I discovered I reacted really bad to the sweetener used in One bars. I was upset for a couple of days. Heated a few and tried again to be sure, same reaction.

I took all that were left and left them on the counter at the gym with “free” stuck to the boxes. You can bet they disappeared.

Try a different one and see if you have the same reaction.

I only eat Nugo bars now. Delicious, not artificial sweeteners. I just got some of their new protein powders in but haven’t tried them yet. They aren’t crazy high protein like some, but still useful for the few times I use powders.

Also if you’re drinking them for protein purposes, check out corelife. I make a smoothie with a bottle of core life, a serving of cottage cheese, a few grams cocoa powder and a lot of ice. About 270 calories, tasty, and about 40gr protein. Thats my go-to when I’m unusually low.

A couple drops of peppermint or coconut extract makes them….magical.
  • raccdt468
    Options
    Good advice sprinlering.. thank you
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 912 Member
    edited February 20
    Options
    I like doing shakes for breakfast or lunch. I get all my daily greens in with omega 3 mix ins and at least 20-25 grams of protein.

Good luck! 🍀