It's all my fault

Options
During my pregnancy I've gained 50 pounds. Every new mom around me lost their weight without lifting a finger and I gained 15 more pounds. I went to my doc telling her that I wasn't able to lose weight. The truth is, I never watched what I ate and I didn't exercised. Sure, I tried a workout dvd a couple of time but that was about it. My blood tests came back and nothing's wrong with me. It's not my thyroid. The only reason why I'm fat..is me. I'm not sure where to begin. I'm starting a diet on saturday. I wish I could at least lose 30 pounds by Feb. 1st because that's when my maternity leave ends and I'd be SO ashamed of going back there and being obese (yes, I'm over my BMI)

Replies

• DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom.. I had my son in January of this year. It takes lots of discipline, and you CAN do it!! I gained over 40 lbs during mine.. And I wasn't able to lose it just by sitting around like some other people you may know! I started running 6 weeks post partum, I counted calories like crazy, and I did it! You can too, I promise! Add me if you'd like.. I've been there!
  • Pinnagerjaggin
    Options
    You say you gained weight during pregnancy like its uncommon. I've never been pregnant so I can't say I walked in your shoes but every body is different. I think once you start taking tabs on what you put into your body and start exercising you'll find the weight comes off as well.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    30 pounds by February is absolutely possible. If you don't have a good baby sling, get one. Walk. Do lunges. Move. And you might consider lowering your calorie intake by, say, 50 calories a day for the first week, then 100, and so on. Also, are you nursing? If you are, be sure you include that somehow in your calorie goals. It actually takes more energy to nurse than it does to carry a baby.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Darlin - I gained MORE than 50 lbs during my pregnancy... I kept a lot of it on for 2 years. I was embarrassed to go out in public - always afraid I would see someone I knew from when I was younger b/c I knew their first thought would be "Holy Crap - she's put on weight". SO - I did something about it. There is no magic pill, or diet, or smoothie... there is just hard work. You CAN do this... just be honest with yourself. Log everything you put in your mouth - especially when you're just starting out. It's very eye openning. After a while though - when it comes to food - what starts as a really hard habit to change, will become the 'norm'. Over time it will get easier, and almost second nature.

Don't beat yourself up - you have a beautiful new baby who deserves a mom that loves herself as much as she loves her little miracle.

you CAN do this!
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Dont start a diet on Saturday. Start eating healthy today!! Diets don't last. Being healthy lasts forever. This is a great place to come for support and to get a head start. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Neggma
    Options
    Get a jogging stroller and hit the bricks! Walk at first. Work up to it! You are not the first.
  • nadiaez
    nadiaez Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's definitely doable.....I gained 70 pounds in pregnancy and now 20 weeks later I've lost almost all of it, but still got a little way to go....MFP is my saviour in getting the last 42 pounds off (I was overweight prior to pregnancy) and the whole watching what I eat (with the odd treat every now and again) and exercising more is working for me!
  • ReikiLady
    Options
    Greetings Cherry :smile:

Not to worry darlin' you didn't gain THAT much weight! You CAN and you WILL lose it. Don't lose it because you're ashamed to go back to work, just do it for your baby and for YOU! You will feel so much better when you do. I gained nearly 120 lbs with my first child (started at 120!!!) and have since struggled with losing and gaining like a yo-yo.

I have a cousin who was fat all her Life and in her 30's she was sick of being sick and just started walking every day no matter and eating healthier. She went from over 400 lbs and a size 36 to 140 and size 12 and feels so much better. She's kept it off now for 5 years and was featured in People Magazine a few years ago. If she can do it, anyone can!!!

I'm routing for you! You CAN do it! Keep in touch and stay focused! WE can all help each other!:drinker:
    Kathi
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm with AmyRC... I gained about 60 pounds during pregnancy (started out at 115 lbs) and kept it on for about 3 years. I have now got down to 138 lb and am aiming for 8 more pounds loss. You can do it! Just discipline, counting calories, portion control, and exercise.... and motivation.
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Hey im also a mum to a 3 year old.. and although i wanted to lose weight before my maternity leave ended I didnt do it and then ws soooo upset that I joined the company a skinny dollybird and came back from maternity leave, a big fat pig :-(
    I hated myself and got upset going to work too because nothing fitted and I felt horrible all the time.. I didnt actually start losing weight until i said enough is enough and this year sorted myself out.. I put on 5 stone during preg (70lbs) and now the whole lot has gone plus an extra 1 stone (14lbs) so im now skinnier then i was before I got pregnant and feel bloody amazing..
    It is really hard work trust me, but if you can stick to it.. have loads of will power then you will do it !! I wish i had just done it on my maternity leave and not waited this long.. !
    The good thing is you have already admitted that you ate a lot and dont do any exercise so regardless of it you were preg or not you prob would have put on weight.
    Good luck with your journey.. add me as a friend if you wnat some moral support along the way!
    xxxx
  • elizabethdear95
    Options
    I was at my counselors and she told me this wonderful tidbit of information on starting diets. Don't diet. Make it a lifestyle change forever so you don't go back to your old ways. She also told me not to pick a new day to start the lifestyle change. START RIGHT NOW. You can so so so do this!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My daughter is grown now but I remember very well the pregnancy and all of the weight gain. I was high risk and had to spend a lot of time in bed (doctors orders) so I gained 70 pounds. People can be so cruel about weight gain. There are folks that hurt my feelings so bad that I have not acknowledged that they exist for the last 30 years as I don't like mean people. Any way, I tried it all and I did lose the weight but not in a healthy way. So, take it from an old lady - do it the right way and MFP is the right way. Don't beat yourself up - you have brought a beautiful life into this world and gaining weight is just part of the price to pay. Be honest with yourself if you are getting the baby blues a little too often and if so, see your doctor. Finally, I still don't know the best way to handle the meanies out there. When people would ask my mother things that were none of their business she always went with the classic "and who wants to know" which flusters people. Maybe ingnoring ignorance is the best.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 lbs during my pregnancy. I only lost 10 right after giving birth (the weight of the baby and afterbirth) and never lost an ounce.

Why?

Because I ate like I was still pregnant. My stomach literally got used to consuming a certain volume of food and I was STARVING!

Because I got so busy with a new infant that I literally "forgot" to eat. Skipping meals did a doozy on me!

Because the meals that I picked weren't healthy. I just popped something in the microwave or did something fast so I could spend more time with the baby (I hated being a working mom, but couldn't afford to be a SAHM).

Because I didn't get enough sleep. Not because the baby wasn't a good sleeper (he was an AMAZING sleeper), but because I couldn't wind down after working til midnight and then have to be up with the baby at 6 a.m., which was his usual wake-up time in the morning.

Because I didn't breastfeed (or at least that's what other moms have said).

There were a lot of reasons, but it was me.

I got divorced when my son was 18 months old and immediately shed 20 lbs.
    I borrowed my friend's Weight Watchers books and started exercising and within a few months I was back down to my pre-baby weight.

Nobody's expecting you to come back looking like a Hollywood actress. You just had a BABY for cryin' out loud!

When you're released to start working out, start by taking the baby out on walks in their stroller. Get a sitter and work out at the gym. Carry the baby around instead of using a buggy if you can (GREAT arm workout!).
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    YES! that's exactly how I feel. I don't want to make him wait so I pop something in the microwave and shove it in my mouth. I'm not comfortable in my clothes. I'm still wearing my maternity pants because the elastic band feels much better than regular pants. And what can I say about the muffin top? I feel okay in my clothes when I'm standing but when I'm sitting everything just falls down and my clothes feel too tight.
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    I gained 43 lbs during my second pregnancy. I did breastfeed, but couldn't get all of it off. Now I am 47 lbs lighter than I was before I got pregnant the first time. If I can do it then so can you. Make sure you put your goals on paper or on here. It makes me feel more committed when I actually have put them out there.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm starting saturday cuz that's when we do the groceries :blushing: Until then I'm eating what's the most healthy that we already have.