Starting over alcohol free

Options

Replies

• mrsmeteor
    mrsmeteor Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    For those of you that have quit, did you experience alcohol withdrawal symptoms? I want to quit really bad, but I am afraid of withdrawal symptoms. Any advice?

An acquaintance of mine was an addictions counsellor and told me that for alcohol withdrawal, it should be done with the help of a doctor. Apparently it can be extremely dangerous, more so than quitting other types of substances, so don't try to go it alone.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @mrsmeteor
    I'm unable to get medical help where I live. A provider I once had (once it was realized that I had no medical options) advised me to taper off gradually. And if my BP was elevated or I had weird headaches to go to urgent care or the hospital. Thank you for your help and I'll see what I can do.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    Hey all!

I have been cutting way back on alcohol just drinking wine Fri & Sat. Except for during the stupid bowl had a glass of wine! :)

I am now finding after I drink I feel nauseous. I don't know why but I think it will definitely help me abstain and that's a good thing.

Cheers and stay strong!
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to be sober. Alcohol is deadly, and it can sneak up on you. I think it effects our bodies in ways we don't even imagine. Good for you to be able to choose sobriety. I am cheering you on, I'm sober also, just celebrated 10 years and it's the very very best thing I ever did for myself - full stop. Thanks for sharing.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 700 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon Here's a link that outlines some of the withdrawal symptoms that people may get when quitting. I don't want you to get scared out of quitting by reading this, I'm just posting it since it will give you an idea of what to look for while your backing off/quitting.
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/alcohol-withdrawal
    If you can't access medical help for financial reasons, your state/county/town may have some free resources available. You can try an internet search for it.
    If the lack of access is because you're in a very rural area where there's just nothing close by, maybe you can get a doctor to work with you through tele-health if your insurance has that (basically a virtual appt. instead of in-person). Also, if you have insurance, maybe you can call them and ask what's available for you.
    Just a few suggestions I hope might help. Best wishes to you, please keep us posted.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Thank you for your suggestions.
    The reason for the lack of access is because we live in a rural area. Plus I wouldn't want to go in to one those 28/30 day treatment programs. I had a friend that went that route in another (larger) town. I went to visit once and I didn't see anyone hooked up to an IV or wearing a BP cuff. It didn't seem that it was a medically supervised detox.
    When I had to go to the ICU in 2021, I was hooked up to an IV and constantly wearing a BP cuff. And, I'm not sure what types of meds they were giving me. Probably benzos, anti-nausea meds, possibly antibiotics (due to the esophageal varices). Anyways, unless I was in a hospital or other medical setting, I would rather do it on my own.
    I have cut back a little and am feeling a bit better. I actually left the house the other day to go to our local grocery store.
    Thanks for your help and I will keep you posted.
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    Options

@Darlene_Oregon I agree that tapering is best. I personally went through pretty bad alcohol withdrawals back in 2021. I did not have medical assistance but was advised call 911 at the slightest sign of misgivings. I probably should have but I was stubborn. I was awake for 40 hours, sweating profusely, shakey, and a bit delusional. Just shy of hallucinations. Considering you get the shakes and rely on your husband to keep you going I do believe tapering off is the way to go.

I would like to add that when I was in rehab they checked our blood pressure twice a day from day 6 to 30 and about ever 2 hours for the first 5 days, and some people required IV treatment. Some did not. Everyone's varied from one day to 3. One person went into a coma on day 10 without alcohol as his liver failed. Once he was back from intensive care he nicknamed himself Homer because he looked like a Simpson he was so yellow. It's not always what you think it'll look like from overly dramatized tv shows.

Lastly, the 30 day program isn't for everyone, but it most certainly is effective. It's essentially a kick in the *kitten* in the right direction. It doesn't feel good, but you'll feel good after you're good and free.

That's just me sharing my non professional opinion and experience! Seems I might have the most personal experience of the bunch with programs like that. I did a month in a facility and a month of intensive outpatient therapy (and yet here I am again lol). After about 6 months I fell completely off the wagon and drank nearly everyday for the last 2 years until the 17th of January. There is hope yet for us all haha

You just have to REALLY want it.
  • AmberlyMarlene
    Options
    Hello just checking back. I have now slipped up twice on drinking, but all in all am doing so much better than I ever thought I would. I have drank two days since Jan 17th and have only had 3 beers total. The most recent slip up was the day before yesterday however and this time -like many times before- it was incredibly difficult to not continue the trend back to a daily habit. I've had to fight being pouty like a toddler because I can't have my beloved rum, but I know rum and I have a toxic relationship and me and alcohol are on a break. Perhaps indefinitely. I also started seeing a substance abuse therapist who gave me a book to try to work through called "The Sober Curious Reset". It doesn't fit my circumstances perfectly but it is helping me reevaluate my relationship with alcohol. I'm looking forward to learning how to better avoid giving into a beer. I have discussed with my husband I would like to keep NA beer stocked in the fridge so I can grab that to resist temptation next time we have a game night.

I hope everyone is doing well and I cheering you on! Much love
  • cccannady
    cccannady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its good to read all of these courageous accounts. I am on Day 3 of no drinking wine. Feeling fine. I am doing it for lent and perhaps afterwards.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon I'm glad to hear you have a specific plan for tapering off, and that you were able to get out of the house the other day. I hope you're able to make your March 1st goal!
    @AmberlyMarlene I've never heard the term "sober curious" before. I was reading about it today after reading your post, I'm going to see if my library has the book. I'm glad to hear you've only had two very small lapses, keep up the good work.
    I've been pretty much bouncing between a couple of days on and couple of days off. I haven't been able to go more than 4 days in a row without though, so my goal is to get some longer strings of no drinking going.
    Keep going strong everyone!! :)
  • AmberlyMarlene
    edited February 21
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 I had heard there was a movement of younger peoples gravitating towards it without ever bothering to look further. It's an interesting read that is relatable, but doesn't try to fill your head too much. It's worth looking into even if you don't plan on doing all of the exercises in my opinion.

Some encouragement for ya is I couldn't go more than 4 days in a row either not two months ago, and now I have 35 days with two of them containing minimal drinking. I believe in you! Way to keep being mindful and pushing yourself :smile:
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited February 21
    Options
    @cccannady congrats on the three days straight.
    @AmberlyMarlene thanks so much for the words of encouragement. About a year and a half ago I went for about 4 months without (before then I drank vodka as well as wine/beer). Since then, I haven't wanted vodka at all which is a good thing, but I still seem to crave the wine. If I did 4 months then, I know I can do at least that again now.
    Keep up the good work all!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    edited February 24
    Options
    I've been tapering off of whiskey for the past week. I've been doing pretty well. Yesterday I started drinking at 11am and drank 500ml. For the last couple of months (until now), I had been drinking 750-1000ml daily. What really messed me up was that I would have booze in the house when I went to bed. Thinking I didn't want to suffer in the morning. But, sometimes I would wake up at 3am and have a few drinks. So, I no longer keep the booze overnight. I've just been measuring out the amount I want to drink for the day and pouring the rest out.
    I planned on waiting until 11:30 this morning to drink. But I just don't feel like waiting that long today. So I guess I'm going to blow it and start drinking around 10am today. It would be nice if I could stop drinking before dinner and still pour some out. We'll see!
    @AmberlyMarlene We seem to have a lot in common. We both had bad withdrawals and detoxed in November of 2021. I actually was hallucinating in the hospital. When I came home, I told my husband, maybe I wasn't hallucinating. But just dreaming. He shook his head "No". He witnessed it.
    I also have some liver damage. But I haven't had a scan in almost a year. At that time, the report said I had micronodules. But my liver was normal in size and I had no ascites. I was supposed to have another scan six months later, but I cancelled. Then just recently I had a falling out with my gastroenterologist's office. So I no longer have a GI doctor. I have an appointment to see my PCP next month.
    You also mentioned that a man in your rehab went into a coma with liver failure and went to the ICU. But returned and nicknamed himself Homer because he was so yellow. What I didn't understand was you said "It's not always what you think it'll look like from overly dramatized tv shows." I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone with jaundice on TV. How does it look compared to TV shows? So did the man recover?
    Anyways, I'm really afraid that my liver may be even more damaged than before. That's why I want to quit so badly. I did read a new study though that said cirrhosis can sometimes be reversable if you completely quit drinking or using whatever is causing the damage.
    Sorry this post is so long. Good luck to everyone!
  • khahn72856
    khahn72856 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My next very important step in my life is to stop drinking alcohol. It is key to my future happiness. Day 1.
  • DietColaLola
    DietColaLola Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 26
    Options
    Hi All,
    I keep coming back to this discussion because everyone gives me inspiration and it's nice to hear other people's stories.
    I don't usually use social media at all. So, I don't know how to reply specifically to a particular person or add someone as a friend (I'm a young 66 years old) :)
    Anyways, I still don't have one day. But, I'm working on it.
    Thanks for all the inspiration. I will be back!

It looks like you figured out how to answer people. ;-) I am 68 and I did Dry January this year. It was a total game-changer for me! I drink much less than I did before Dry January and now make it a habit to not drink during the week. I will definitely do Sober October this year too. Good luck with your ongoing battle! You can do this!
  • DietColaLola
    DietColaLola Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 @AmberlyMarlene There are a ton of sober curious websites out there. Just google "sober curious websites"

Good luck to everyone here. I drank wine every single day for decades. I mentioned in a comment above that I did Dry January and it really changed things for me. I found out that my trigger drink was champagne and if I avoid champagne I do very well. I only drink currently on the weekends and on vacation but I will definitely do Sober October and Dry January again and hope to quit altogether in 2024.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @khahn72856 Are you just starting Day 1? For me, Day 1 is the hardest. But once I make it past Day 1 it's a piece of cake. Good luck!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @DietColaLola Yes I did figure out how to answer people *LOL*
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    Well, I guess those that I thought were part of my support team aren't coming back to this discussion. So, I guess I'm back on my own. Take care everyone!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!