Starting over alcohol free

Options

Replies

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Well, looks like I haven't posted in a week, shame on me :#
    Still haven't been able to put together more than 4 days straight with no wine, but I'm happy that my overall intake week after week has been way less than it used to be.
    @khahn72856 hope you're on day 3 of no alcohol; but if not, just start at day one again, and working at it.
    @Darlene_Oregon You seem to have a really good plan in place for yourself, but I hope you're not relying on a My Fitness Pal (MFP) chat forum alone to give you all of your support. I've found that, while MFP has given me a lot of helpful information and support through my weight loss journey, the support of family, friends and professionals has helped my most in my quest for sobriety. I'm still a work in progress, but aren't we all.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 I guess I have been using MFP chat forum as my support system. Besides my husband, I have no family where I live or any friends to speak of either (just acquittances) .
    Neither my husband or I are originally from this area. We were somewhat transplanted here. When I met my husband, I was living in Medford Oregon. Which is close to the California border (I know not everyone on MFP is from the US. But I think most people know where CA is located). He had been homeless and went to a VA facility near my home for help. He had been involved with drugs. But I had never seen it. I think he mainly went there to get a roof over his head.
    At the same time, I was having problems with alcohol and was also basically homeless (living in a motel). I worked temporary at a well-know plywood mill. But it was through a temp agency, so the work wasn't consistent.
    Anyways, we met at an AA meeting. Eventually, the VA found him transitional housing in Roseburg OR (110 miles north). We weren't married at the time. So I stayed behind. Paying the rent at the motel was getting more difficult. So, he came down on a Greyhound bus and we came up here in my truck. And here we are. Neither of us are originally from Oregon. I was born and raised in Southern California and he in Northern California.
    Well, I guess I didn't need to give out so much personal information. But I really don't care. I have no reason to hide behind a keyboard.
    Good luck to you and thank you for your input when you can!

• littleabnd
    littleabnd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I, I’m 17 days post last drink. It sucks, yet, it is also wonderful. I am probably trying to replace a bad habit with a good one as my trainer says, “ This one won’t kill you”. I wish you all the best my friend.
  • lilith40
    lilith40 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon - I think you are very brave. It sounds like you and your husband have survived and overcome a lot. Shows a lot of strength and courage.

One day at a time.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @lilith40 Thank you so much. Yes, one day at a time!
  • MeechK1095
    MeechK1095 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I'll start to stay dry for a week first... Then reduce to no more than drinking twice a week... I'm turning 60 in a couple of month and want to stay fit ! I'm currently drinking nearly every day...
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @MeechK1095 Hey Kid! Well I'm 66 so I think I should be able to call you kid.
    I hope you can be successful with your plan. But in my experience (for me), planning to just drink two days a week doesn't really work.
    About 35 years ago, I moved back in with my Mom. She didn't appreciate me hanging out in the garage drinking beer and smoking. I did quit smoking in 2007. I wasn't just drinking and smoking. At the time, I enjoyed cleaning and doing maintenance on my truck.
    Well, since she didn't approve, I started hanging out at a neighborhood bar (a lot). Anyways, there was a women that went there that was close friends with the bartender. One day, we were talking and had a really nice time. I told her "See you tomorrow". She said she wouldn't be there because she doesn't drink two days in a row. So, I decided to do the same thing. That was 35 years ago and I still drink daily.
    We moved into our current home 13 years ago. I liked drinking during the day when I was mowing, gardening, etc. I decided I would only drink on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. That didn't work. Then I said "No drinking" on Sundays or Mondays. Still didn't work.
    I still have not gotten to one day without drinking. I really hope I will soon. I have some appointments coming up. And I've gained quite a bit of weight. Springtime is coming and I have a lot of projects I hope to complete.
    Good luck to you and keep posting!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @MeechK1095 PS...You mentioned that you wanted to stay fit. As a man you probably won't have as much trouble as I did.
    Just a couple of months ago, I started exercising. Pretty simple stuff, but I feel very effective. I was feeling really good.
    Then I started drinking daily again. I'm not sure what happened. But I can barely walk up and down steps without a handrail. I will get it back. It doesn't take long to lose it. But with some work, we can get it back just as quickly.
    Good luck to you!

• SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon you and your husband sure have been through a lot, definitely two courageous people. I get the think about "just acquaintances", I moved to SC about two years ago and have acquaintances at the gym and in the neighborhood, but no real friends here. My DH and two sisters are really my closest friends.
    @MeechK1095 I've tried going just some days on and some off also, but on the days I do drink, I don't tend to stop once I start, so I'm trying to just quit altogether. It's definitely better for your health to avoid alcohol. Good luck with your plan though, I hope it works out for you.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 Good to hear from you. I agree we should just quit altogether. I went four months without drinking. And I felt great. I was very energetic and motivated.
    I have been through quite a bit in my adult life. But I had a wonderful childhood. I guess that's why I became "The Problem Child". I never hurt anyone though (except myself).
    The problem child is still in me, but I've learned how to control it.
    Take care!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 Good to hear from you. I agree we should just quit altogether. I went four months without drinking. And I felt great. I was very energetic and motivated.
    I have been through quite a bit in my adult life. But I had a wonderful childhood. I guess that's why I became "The Problem Child". I never hurt anyone though (except myself).
    The problem child is still in me, but I've learned how to control it.
    Take care!

Ha, that's funny because I was always the "good girl" between me and my two sisters, but I'm the one that ended up with the worst drinking habit :# .
    Back between Aug and Dec 2022 I quit. But a couple drinks at Christmas, then two at valentines day, then two on my birthday in March, and by the end of last year I was drinking almost every day again for most of 2023. So this year, I'm quitting. I've cut back a lot, but cold turkey, altogether done with it, seems to be the only thing that will work for me.
    I hope your plan is working for you, take care of yourself and be strong.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    edited March 3
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 Well you may have been the "good girl", but it sounds like you ended up being "the problem child" too. *LOL*
    So it seems that you went four or five months without drinking also.
    I've been cutting back. I haven't had the shakes or major anxiety (pacing, etc). So, I do plan on quitting cold turkey in just a few days. I have a couple of appointments next week. If I can't quit I will have to reschedule my appointments. I think I just have to do it! I'll keep you posted.
    Take care!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    Hi All,
    I was in the ICU in November 2021. After that I started keeping my old calendars. I just went back and looked at those old calendars.
    In 2022, I had 124 alcohol-free days and in 2023, I had 106 AF days. Not great. But not bad for someone who had been drinking daily for most of their adult life.
    This year (2024), I still do not have even one AF day. So, I've got to get moving. I would like to break my record this year.
    Take care and Good Luck to everyone!
  • meyersm2000
    meyersm2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking 12 days ago because my blood work came back very bad. I started walking on the treadmill again and weight training. My goal is to always be mindful of what I am putting in my body.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    I'd like to make most of the rest of this year AF also.
    @meyersm2000 sorry to hear about your blood work results. At least it was something that made you more aware of what you should and shouldn't put into your body.
    @AmberlyMarlene how have you been making out?
  • Darlene_Oregon
    edited March 3
    Options
    @meyersm2000 If you continue on your quest to quit drinking your blood work should come back to normal soon. I don't have my numbers available as I'm typing this. But in November 2021, my liver enzymes were extremely elevated. I completely stopped drinking at that time.
    I had to have hernia surgery a couple of months later. I had to get blood work done before surgery. My numbers were perfect (liver enzymes, cholesterol, everything). My surgeon came in while I was in Pre-Op. He smiled and said "see what happens when you quit drinking?".
    Anyways, keep it up. For me, it will be difficult. But I plan on quitting completely on Tuesday (less than two days from now).
    @AmberlyMarlene I hope you are OK. Check in when you get a chance.
    Take care everyone!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @sagosto2 In my experience, drinking does put on the weight. I regularly record my weight on MFP. And on my calendar, I mark the days I don't drink. When I quit drinking my weight goes down daily (usually about 1/2 pound a day). And when I'm drinking, it's just the opposite. When I go to "Reports" in MFP and look at my weight graph, it's obvious. It goes down when I'm not drinking and then steadily back up when I am drinking.
    I would also like to lose about 40 lbs (to start). I was afraid to weigh myself for a while. But, finally I did. I hate to even admit what the scale read...200 lbs. Yikes! My personal worst. I'm only 5'3". According to the BMI, I should weigh less than 140. But I feel good in the 160's. Then I can work on losing more from there. I don't necessarily believe in BMI. But, it's a good start.
    I know what you mean about the vicious circle. I can't exercise at all right now.
    By the way, how can I listen to podcasts? Can I listen on a desktop computer?
    Good luck and take care!
  • sagosto2
    sagosto2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon Yes. you can listen on your computer or smartphone. You can either download iTunes or listen straight from a web browser. It's good entertainment while working out. I'm under 5 foot tall and sitting around your comfortable weight. It's incredibly tough to work out without joint pain, but I'm taking it slow, one step at a time. I know from experience that shedding pounds alleviates the pain and I can amp up the workout slowly from there. So, trying to be kind to myself. Some movement is better than none. Even if it's just getting to the gym or out for a short walk, it's beneficial.
  • Neon_B
    Neon_B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hope you're doing well!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!