Starting over alcohol free

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @Adventurista - It's going good. For a while, I was having difficulty just getting to Day 1 Alcohol Free. But I got past that. I'm no longer afraid of quitting (for fear of withdrawals). I no longer have to have it!
    Day 1 was April 7th. I went 6 days and then slipped up and drank just a few drinks the next day (after dinner). Now I'm back on Day 6 😊
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    dfym9veafb9j.png
    Wonderful! Sounds like you're up on your feet and going! Woot!
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in on here in AGES and I will make an effort to do so more often. For those who don't know me here's a summary of my alcohol experience:

I used to drink 750 ml a night (vodka). In 2021 I detoxed and went to rehab while I was in the military. They random tested me for a few months which kept me sober. I got out in 2022 and for more than the last 2 years I have drank 500 to 1000 ml almost every night (now rum). I was in substance abuse counseling February through the beginning of this month, but apparently an income of 30k is too much for government assistance in my state so even though I am not offered benefits at work I can no longer afford to go to therapy to help keep me sober.

I first gave up drinking Jan 17 (2024) and had a couple slip ups, the last time I drank was Feb 21st. I don't count days typically, but I've crunched the numbers for this post and am excited to see I'm at 98 days sober!

When I was in rehab I didn't make it to 2 months sober, so I suppose I'm on a new personal best. I want to keep it going for at least a year as I learned in January I had some bodily damage with cholesterol and liver damage. I have not had the opportunity to see how those are doing now, but I'm guessing pretty good. I'm now down 36 lbs since Jan 17.

I hope everyone is happy to and willing to do the work (whatever that looks like for you) to make themselves and their health a priority. I believe in you!

I also strongly agree with Darlene as in my experience day 1 is the most difficult, and the following 2 weeks following can be tough, however it's worth pushing through.

I'll be popping in at least once a week.

• Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @AmberlyMarlene You hinted in your post to check back here. Thanks for coming back. This discussion has really helped me. 98 days is great. After I almost died in November of 2021, I went one day short of four months. It really does feel good.
    I haven't had my liver checked in a while. I had a falling out with the only GI doctor in our town. I had an appointment in Eugene OR today. But I cancelled because I'm drinking. I rescheduled for August 1st. It seems a bit silly to drive 60 miles for a doctor appointment. But, I guess that's what I'll have to do.
    I've decided what to do about the alcohol in the house. I'm not going to dump it out. But, tomorrow I will not get anymore...Serious! It may be uncomfortable for a day or two. But delaying doesn't help.

• jeanpfourie
    jeanpfourie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be 180 days dry, and 130 lbs lighter . 100 to go. Easiest way to stay dry - was by making sure i don't have any money for booze. Spend every cent on good food, new shoes , tools, home improvements ect. Was a real shock seeing everything i bought with just 6 months of booze money . Now saving up for a decent treadmill , to keep active during the winter .
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @jeanpfourie Congratulations on your 180 days. That's six months! That's great! The most I've gone (since I've had a somewhat serious drinking problem) is four months. But it did feel good. And I also lost a lot of weight.

The not having any money thing probably wouldn't work for me. I'm not rich. But, we have a nice home and are regularly making improvements. And I probably have more shoes than Imelda Marcos 😁
    And, I always keep some cash in my wallet. For emergencies.

Oh, and BTW, who needs a treadmill when you have one of these *LOL*

a0zycg6n5am2.jpg

• Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    Well, I guess nobody really appreciates my humor. But I built that little step about 25 years ago. I built it to to step-ups in the morning before I went to work. It's 9 1/2 inches tall. The reason that the walker is there is because I was afraid it might not be wide enough and could possibly tip over if I stepped too close to the edge. I'm a little bit older today. And, you can never be too safe! Anyways, it looks silly but it works well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!