Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it new that people expect the forum to read their minds?

Options
124»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited February 19
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Language challenges, I believe, will become a diminishing issue with AI translation.

The other changes that are coming down the pike in terms of employment, research, and less benign uses of AI, these ones, I'm afraid, are sweeping us towards "interesting" times.

Yet another aside from moi.

I sat through a German real estate closing last March, as moral support and a loud mouth backup for someone who wouldn’t ask questions. I don’t speak a word of German, they are fluent, but have the attitude that it’s rude to ask questions or interrupt there. Me? No such qualms.

Laid my phone on the desk, activated Google translate. They were all staring at me until they realized I was getting a real-time translation to English. It was spectacularly accurate and efficient. Except for once or twice when it translated something about pickles.

I was beyond astonished that it was picking up fast spoken language, slang, jokey asides, and legal terminology.

Not AI, but my word, the technology is beyond our wildest comprehension. Mine, anyway.

BTW, kudos for German closings. Very efficient. Reading of contract from beginning to end mandatory. A shedload of documents, though. 😱
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    They would have to come back and respond. But very few respond
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    They would have to come back and respond. But very few respond

Some of them do appear to be bots. I just saw a guy who joined today and made just one post - asking how to cancel - within one hour.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,116 Member
    Options
    Joined the app? Or joined the boards? Because some people do join the boards to ask a specific question.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What the **kitten** is going on today?

Complete original post with the well formed personalized questions to be answered by your forum AI?🤷‍♂️😵‍💫🤯

--How to stay on a calorie deficit?

--How much (sic) calories do I need to eat in my day?

Seriously?

Speaking not to PAV personally here, but to the line of conversation this started.

I wasn't going to say it. I typed it into my PP, then took it out. I wasn't going to say it.

Preface: Humans aren't very good at conspiracies. Yes, they can be good at trolling. But Occam's razor is still a consideration. Or Hanlon's razor, more specifically. (And AI bots can express themselves semi-well, from what I've seen.)

So, the thing I took out: Unfortunately, some people - bless their hearts, and I mean that sincerely - are not highly functional intellectually. Lower reading comprehension. Arithmetic not doable or understandable. Not good at writing, spelling, grammar, syntax. And so forth.

I grew up in a rural poverty area with a sub-par school system (back in the waaay pre-internet era, 1960s-70s). I met some of these people, knew some well from school and church. They can be very wonderful people in various ways. But mental acuity is not their wheelhouse. Things are worse for people like that in the internet era than things were back then, because reading comprehension and writing clarity are increasingly important, not to mention needing some mild understanding of using the technology. Those approaching my age also grew up at a time when learning disabilities weren't recognized and remediated (at least not in my school system).

On top of that, this is an international site. Some people don't have English as their first language, maybe don't quite have English much at all.

Just my opinion: They still need help, still deserve help. It may not seem like giving someone the benefit of the doubt to suspect they're struggling intellectually in some way, but in contrast to routinely assuming that they're trolling, it maybe is.

Hanlon's razor. Or Occam's.

[CHN frantically goes to Google Hanlon’s razor as never heard of it 🤣]

It uses the "S" word. Personally, I wouldn't in this context, because it's not a polite term. Everyone has different skills and abilities, y'know?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Joined the app? Or joined the boards? Because some people do join the boards to ask a specific question.

I'm not sure. It just says the join date was 12:36 PM. You could be right. No one has responded to the post, so there's no telling if it's a real person or not.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options

I'm not sure. It just says the join date was 12:36 PM. You could be right. No one has responded to the post, so there's no telling if it's a real person or not.

If you're talking about who I think you are, the Community profile says that time today, but the MFP profile says the MFP join date was November 11, 2020.

I'm not sure why a bot would post something like that? I can imagine a human joining and immediately wanting to cancel, even though that's seemingly not the case here.

Generally, I'd expect that if someone launches a bot to do something, there would be a point to it, because there's effort involved. IMO, mysterious ultra-brief one-offs are more likely to be humans.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you're talking about who I think you are, the Community profile says that time today, but the MFP profile says the MFP join date was November 11, 2020.

I'm not sure why a bot would post something like that? I can imagine a human joining and immediately wanting to cancel, even though that's seemingly not the case here.

Generally, I'd expect that if someone launches a bot to do something, there would be a point to it, because there's effort involved. IMO, mysterious ultra-brief one-offs are more likely to be humans.

I think you are right about that one. I did click "profile," but it clearly did not take me there! I have seen a number of posts that do appear to be bots, though. They could be used just to test the system even if there is no immediately obvious payout.

I still think my theory has merit, though.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Page 4 of a thread before the OP mentions that they are in treatment for an eating disorder >.<
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Page 4 of a thread before the OP mentions that they are in treatment for an eating disorder >.<

There are many more that don't ever mention it at all, because they know their question about how to continue losing weight won't get answered if they admit it. You have to look for context clues in their posts.