Intro, oh, oh hi

Options
Hello. I'm new here. I aim to gain mass but I have had a lifelong struggle to maintain a weight above 150. I'm 6 ft 2. I can tone well, but I'm 42 now, building mass is even more challenging. Ugh. Tips, and greetings welcomed. Oh, oh wait. I forget the simple things, lol. My name is Clint. I go by Robert professionally. Las Vegas raised, and I operate forklift for department of justice. I know don't ask.

Replies

• CLINTBEASTWOOD1453
    Options
    This is too long. Youre terrible at this.
  • CLINTBEASTWOOD1453
    Options
    Lame
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Not lame, this section of the board just isn’t that well populated. There will be people along in a bit who are more experienced than me - I’m kind of a maintainer rather than a bulk / cut person - but I can give you the basic info.

You need to be in a calorie surplus to build significant muscle, so get your protein up (I shoot for nearly 2 grams per KG of bodyweight), and get your calories in. If you find it difficult to eat enough then drink your calories, make a dirty shake, eat high cal low volume foods like nuts, fattier fish like salmon, avocados, drizzle olive oil on salads etc.

Then you need to lift in a progressive overload. Lift heavy (for you), consistently, and get enough rest and recovery. Sounds like your job is active so you’ll need to prioritise the nutrition and rest to be able to maximise the benefits of your work outs.

It takes time, you might genetically just be lean and find it harder to bulk but it can be done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Not lame, this section of the board just isn’t that well populated. There will be people along in a bit who are more experienced than me - I’m kind of a maintainer rather than a bulk / cut person - but I can give you the basic info.

You need to be in a calorie surplus to build significant muscle, so get your protein up (I shoot for nearly 2 grams per KG of bodyweight), and get your calories in. If you find it difficult to eat enough then drink your calories, make a dirty shake, eat high cal low volume foods like nuts, fattier fish like salmon, avocados, drizzle olive oil on salads etc.

Then you need to lift in a progressive overload. Lift heavy (for you), consistently, and get enough rest and recovery. Sounds like your job is active so you’ll need to prioritise the nutrition and rest to be able to maximise the benefits of your work outs.

It takes time, you might genetically just be lean and find it harder to bulk but it can be done.
    This is great advice. On overload program, ALWAYS have at least one compound lift for everybody part. With clients I use high volume (usually 4+ sets for an exercise) and at least 2 exercises per bodypart.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png