Fitness tracker/heart rate monitor discussion

Options
ElMeroKeeQue
ElMeroKeeQue Posts: 542 Member
Ok so I can’t always wear my Apple Watch during standup sparring and jiujitsu for safety reasons so I just got myself a Coros monitor for my upper arm. Seemed pretty discrete and will allow me to do some tracking during these intense combat workouts as well as when I do heavy bag work. I was finding the Apple Watch too painful to wear under my boxing gloves.

Does anyone else have any experience with these armband type of trackers? Which works for you and what type of sport are you doing?
I’ve also considered a Polar Verity Sense but I figured I’d try this one first and see how it goes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,019 Member
    edited February 23
    Options
    I fought for years and still roll jiu jitsu. Most times i wouldnt wear any tracker during sparring, but when i did i would just wrap over it when wrapping my hands. In sparring with boxing gloves the cloth wraps easily go over it with very little to no discomfort. And when rolling, i just put some gauze around the watch and then tape my wrist. The gauze doesnt allow the tape to stick to it. But honestly, when i was fighting i didnt really care much about a tracker. It was the non sparring workouts i cared a little about tracking.

Edit: also i never wore the bigger apple watch, i wore the slim fitbit tracker. So that may make a difference.
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    I fought for years and still roll jiu jitsu. Most times i wouldnt wear any tracker during sparring, but when i did i would just wrap over it when wrapping my hands. In sparring with boxing gloves the cloth wraps easily go over it with very little to no discomfort. And when rolling, i just put some gauze around the watch and then tape my wrist. The gauze doesnt allow the tape to stick to it. But honestly, when i was fighting i didnt really care much about a tracker. It was the non sparring workouts i cared a little about tracking.

Edit: also i never wore the bigger apple watch, i wore the slim fitbit tracker. So that may make a difference.

The ultra watch is too bulky and gets caught on gis and can scratch. When it’s pressed in my hayabusa boxing and hybrid gloves it starts to hurt the wrist bone. For HIIT cardio and running it’s fine but I don’t want to be “that guy” and scratch partners necks when going for RNC.

I normally take it off and I don’t get a very accurate calorie expended count. I’ve been trying to manage my energy input and output and I want to make sure I get these last 5 pounds off to get to my goal weight.
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    Options
    Update:
    Coros pulse worked amazing yesterday combined with Strava and mfp. 608 calories burned per mfp and here’s the readout for my hour long class. The strap didn’t bother me at all and I forgot it was on while I was rolling.
    v0k7yboxhro2.jpeg
  • HungryCatapillar24
    HungryCatapillar24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don’t do jiu jitsu but Kung fu Lou gar and wing chun or just plain street fighting.. my iwatch never caused me problems when fighting.. but good to know there’s other kinds out there though for future reference so just following this 👍
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    Options
    Damn! You’re a badass!
    It’s not a watch, though, it’s a heart rate tracker that goes on the upper arm/bicep/shoulder area. Using it with Strava has been good so far even without a subscription. Much cheaper than a Whoop. And when linked with mfp it tells calorie expended count.
    Here’s a link.
    https://coros.com/heart-rate-monitor