Whatcha reading?

Options

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    just finished Bitten by Sean Michael. just started on Game of Thrones.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    " The First Rule" by Robert Crais. Also "The New Rules Of Lifting For Women" and " The New Rules Of Lifting For Abs" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Crosgrove.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Reading the final book of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series.
    Fascinating - he's an awesome writer!

I'd love to hear what you think of the ending when you're done. When I first read it, it actually pissed me off. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked it.
    I'm reading the Night Huntress books by Jeaniene Frost and the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning (alternating books as I get them from the library ordering system). Both are good light reading involving vampires and other mythical stuff.

Both of those were good. You might also like Jenna Black's Morgan Kingsley series.

As for what I'm reading, I'm currently reading Sugar Nation, which is really interesting, and some romance novel that I can't remember the name of right now.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Reading the final book of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series.
    Fascinating - he's an awesome writer!

My favorite book in my favorite series. The transformation Steven King went through from Book 1 to Book 7 is as fascinating (and reflected by) the transformations of the characters. It also helps that I grew up reading the books, so my tastes and style changed along with the series.

I can't recommend that series strongly enough. Some people have to struggle through book 1, as it's really not as good. But by the end everyone loves it.

I have read much of King's library...........he is my all-time favorite writer!
    I have struggled at times with this Series - some of the language barriers and such have been difficult for me - he comes up with such interesting names for people/places/things!

I loved his book "On Writing", which described his accident. Although King's never professed to be a spiritual man, his books surely bring out some interesting aspects of faith and religion.

If I had to pick a fave, so far, it would be The Stand. Have read it a few times - read the unabridged addition last year. Fabulous read!!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The Stand is my favorite book. Not just my favorite Stephen King book, it's my favorite book ever. When the unabridged edition came out in hardcover, I wanted it so bad, but it was like $45. I couldn't justify spending that on a book when I already had a copy of it (although my paperback was starting to fall apart). My husband got me the book for Valentine's Day and it was way more awesome than roses or candy.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    just read "the prince of mist" by carlos ruiz zaffon, its actually his first novel and a young adults book (i've read his adult ones) i only started it about 3 hours ago at work and i've just finished it (its a quiet shift) would have been intersting if it had developed as a more sinister adult book but i thoroughly enjoyed it, may try his other young adult books
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just finished Brother Odd and going to start Odd Hours by Dean Koontz. Brother Odd is the 3rd book in the Odd Thomas series. I read the first 2 years ago and then didn't get around to reading the last two so I started the series over last week to refresh my memory. I have quite enjoyed them as easy reads about a guy who can see ghosts.

I have to agree with the recomendation for False Memory... very creepy read, but very well done.

I am trying to figure out what is going to be next in my cue... either the Diana Gabaladon series (I have read the first 5 or 6, but want to re-read them in order it has been 6 or so years) or Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey the second in a trilogy (finished the first one a couple weeks ago, and I don't want to leave it too long).
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Currently rereading another book by my all time fave author Terry Pratchett, Maskerade. His books are my go-to's anytime there's anything stressful or challenging going on in my life because he makes me laugh out loud!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the Night Huntress books by Jeaniene Frost and the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning (alternating books as I get them from the library ordering system). Both are good light reading involving vampires and other mythical stuff.

Also listening to the Hunger Games series in the car. I've got a 45 minute commute so this is a great way to pass the time... Anyway, would definitely recommend this series - I'm more than halfway through the 2nd book right now and am so eager to see what happens next!

We can be friends!!!! Fever series is my favorite series ever. I'm in love with barons. I just finished Night Huntress series (another fave) and all the novellas and I'm currently reading the Night Huntress World series. I've also read Hunger Games. I loved the first one, the second and third were ok. By any chance, are you a member of Goodreads? That's where I keep track of all the book I've read or plan to read at some point.

I almost forgot. I'm also reading Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Every couple of books I need a break so I pick up something else. I'm also reading the Strange Angels Series by Lilith St. Crow. I'm on the last one that came out but I can't get into it. I'm sick of the main character. After I'm finished with Night Huntress World I'm either going to start the Hollows Series by Kim Harrison or Mercedes Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs
  • slavaheroyam
    Options
    I'm piling through a bunch of case studies for my Chinese Anthropological Study class. My favorite (and the one I have to write a paper for) is "Only Hope: Coming of Age Under China's One-Child Policy". When I get some time I want to pick up "The Sea Eagle" by James Aldridge and "The Names" by Don DeLillo among some other things.
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Influencer: The Power to Change Anything.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The China Studay by T.Colin Campbell,PhD and Thomas M Campbell II after watching " Forks Over Knives" I just had to read the book.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear what you think of the ending when you're done. When I first read it, it actually pissed me off. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked it.

I thought the ending was fantastic. And I love how Steven King breaks in to describe to talk to the reader before the ending. What he says in that section is an important to me as what follows. Truly as good an ending as one could have come up with.

I'm not a huge Steven King fan, overall I find much of his writing to be boring and predictable. But he's got a few great books, including The Stand (as mentioned previously), and Dark Tower. series. And I really enjoyed The Long Walk (written as Richard Bachman). I'm sure there are other good ones, but so many of them blend together as just... "whatever."

Anyway, just my thoughts.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I just finished Brother Odd and going to start Odd Hours by Dean Koontz. Brother Odd is the 3rd book int he Odd Thomas series. I read the first 2 years ago and then didn't get around to reading the last to so I started the series over last week to refresh my memory. I have quite enjoyed them as easy reads about a guy who can see ghosts.

I will second your recommendation for the Odd Thomas books. They are pretty light reads, and the characters are incredibly engaging. I really enjoy them.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    The Hallows books and the Mercedes Thompson books are both great! I'm also a fan of the Greywalker series as well as the Dresden books. I'm a member of Goodreads too, so any one that would like to stalk me there, send me a PM. :wink:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    The Stand is my favorite book. Not just my favorite Stephen King book, it's my favorite book ever. When the unabridged edition came out in hardcover, I wanted it so bad, but it was like $45. I couldn't justify spending that on a book when I already had a copy of it (although my paperback was starting to fall apart). My husband got me the book for Valentine's Day and it was way more awesome than roses or candy.

Awwwwwwwww, what a nice man!

I love that story, too - and could agree that it might be my fave book of all time! Did you see the Mini-series based on it? I thought they did a pretty good job with such an EPIC story!
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The Hallows books and the Mercedes Thompson books are both great! I'm also a fan of the Greywalker series as well as the Dresden books. I'm a member of Goodreads too, so any one that would like to stalk me there, send me a PM. :wink:

I'm going to have to check those books out. I just sent you a PM. I'm always looking for Goodreads friends to stalk.....lol!!!! For books, no I'm not creepy. :laugh:
  • PZlady
    PZlady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    He also put Little Women in the freezer when he got to the part where "Beth is real sick." LOL, loved that show.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    A Feast for Crows by Georgia R. R. Martin