Small weight loss sometimes...

Options
If I see I've dropped a small amount of weight after training hard, should I just keep going from that point instead of getting discouraged?

Best Answer

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Of course you should. Why wouldn't you? Getting discouraged will just make you quit, then you won't lose the weight. Slow weight loss is best.

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Can you give a bit more info? Are you trying to lose or gain weight? Without further info I can only tell you that if you weigh after working out then of course you're lighter as you sweated and lost fluid in your body. Drink some water, rehydrate and the weight will be back. For consistency I'd only weigh in the morning after getting up, naked, after going to the loo. That keeps weight of clothes, urine, differences from food and exercising out of the equation.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    @yirara
    The OP's profile "no longer exists." Or something to that effect - he's gone.
  • yirara
    Options
    @yirara

It's still there for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    edited February 27
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    @yirara

It's still there for me.

weird :flowerforyou:

wait. Go to their actual Profile, not just clicking through using their avatar/username from the forums...go to "Myfitnesspal Profile" from that page...

It says, "This account is no longer active"
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh, that might be it. Oh well...
  • standout00
    standout00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Can you give a bit more info? Are you trying to lose or gain weight? Without further info I can only tell you that if you weigh after working out then of course you're lighter as you sweated and lost fluid in your body. Drink some water, rehydrate and the weight will be back. For consistency I'd only weigh in the morning after getting up, naked, after going to the loo. That keeps weight of clothes, urine, differences from food and exercising out of the equation.

I'm trying to lose weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    standout00 wrote: »
    If I see I've dropped a small amount of weight after training hard, should I just keep going from that point instead of getting discouraged?

Are you trying to gain weight? That's how I'm interpreting this.

Yes, always keep going. Workouts are good for us. But they can be a reason to adjust other parts of our plan, if necessary.

How soon after the training are you talking? If you are talking about very soon after a workout, hours to a day or so, that can be about things like hydration level. Our bodies can be 60%+ water, so that fluctuates wildly, as does undigestible digestive contents (such as fiber) on its way to to the exit.

If you're talking about loss over a longer period, like a couple of weeks or more, that comes from a new workout program or increase in your program but sticks around more than briefly . . . that would be a reason to eat a bit more. When we move more, if we have a goal to gain, we need to eat more to fuel the extra movement, y'know?

If you gave more details about your goals and situation, we might be able to offer more appropriately targeted advice.

Best wishes!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    I am sure that you know that your overall caloric balance will determine whether you will gain or lose energy reserves in the form of stored fat.

Training hard will ensure that you better utilize your muscles and maintain or build them as needed to perform the stuff you make them do.

Scale weight may temporarily (or even long term) go up when you train hard as extra your muscles pull in (and retain) fluids.

However a long term caloric deficit will ensure you lose fat.

As to whether you keep going or not... you keep going but the "going" may require adjustment.

Losing weight is not a one time task like taking out the post-move garbage: bundle up all the garbage in doubled up bags as fast as you can, jump on them a few times so that you get enough slack to seal them, and then toss them off the balcony to the curb so that you can be done and be OUT A HERE as fast as possible.

Losing weight requires you to find and do things that you will be able to do long term.

If you're training sustainably HARD.
    That's good training*
    * it's *possibly* good training as I'm fairly sure that *ACTUAL* good training is NOT @100% all the time every time

But, if you're training as hard as possible to lose weight as fast as possible... that isn't good training for sure.

So yes, you continue to try. But try in a way that will maximize your chances for success.