Please help - I need snack ideas!

Options
My dr. is disappointed with the amount of sugary snacks I choose (I'm a junk food addict, duh!). But I really get stuck and bored with the thought of eating raw veggies and nuts every time I want a snack. Please help! I need all the ideas I can get. My snacking habits will become my daughter's snacking habits and I want to be a good role model. Thank you!

Replies

• tryingeveryday
    tryingeveryday Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I really like fruit as a snack, also I will in the afternoon toast a piece of bread and put some peanut butter on it and that is so great. If you are eating well all other meals the fruit is really sweet and sometimes I will put a banana on the peanut butter toast and that is my favorite snack depending on my calorie intake for the day!
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i am a junk food junky as well! haha. i have really been trying to stay away from snacks with high sugars-bc i have noticed i always go over on the sugar intake, but fiber one 90 calorie bars are really good and have a lower suger than most bars. sometimes i will have sugar free jam with all nat. peanut butter on whole wheat toast-this really satisfies my sweet tooth-but all depending on calorie intake for the day
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    There are healthier snacks than junk food - trust me. I like almonds, wasa crackers with Laughing Cow cheese, hummus, Wasa crackers and peanut butter, greek yogurt or any yogurt (you can find ones that are 100 calories), 100 calorie packs - both sweet and salty, bananas, apples with peanut butter is good too. I am a junk food junky too; I have just learned to substitute.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I usually snack on nuts or fruit.

Think about what are some of your favourite junk food snacks and try to find a way to make your own healthier version or a similar alternative.

If you like potato chips or crunchy things try making your own pita chips and bake them in the oven with some olive oil and basil. A few of those with some salsa would be a great snack.

If you like sweet I use dark chocolate with some nuts or dried fruit.

K
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you don't need a snack..

That said, try nuts, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit, etc.

If you REALLY crave "junky sugar" then try a few chocolate chips mixed with 1/2 tbsp all natural pb on a banana...yummy and still healthy.

You can also try making your own "Trail mix" - dried cranberries, a bit of dark chocolate, walnuts, almonds, cashews....careful on calories, since this will get high fast, but it is mostly healthy and still really sweet.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Almonds
    Hard boiled egg
    Cheese (either alone or on a couple fofrice cakes)
    Peanut butter on celery sticks
    Carrots and humous
    Wasabi peas or beans
    Roast soy beans (I used to be a bit crisp eater, but I've switched to those last 2)

If I get a sweet craving I'll have a dark choclate soy dessert - takes ages to eat with a small spoon.
  • sgiacherio
    Options
    These are all great ideas (except I've hated cheese my whole life). I do love snacking on fruit and Chobani yogurt, but I live in Vermont. When the temp drops to 20 below zero and its snowing outside, and all the produce at the grocery store is horribly out of season and wretched, those just don't satisfy. I love all the different ideas with natural PB. I should try honey too. I'm at a desk all day so I also have to consider non "snack" foods. I LOVE black beans so I should eat more of those with salsa and baked pita chips etc. I need to learn to think outside of the box. I'm just not creative with food so its way easier to turn to prepackaged yummy goods.

I appreciate the help everyone! Keep the ideas coming!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you like black beans, I really enjoy this quick mix:

1 can chopped tomatoes (get the low salt, no added sugar type)
    1 can corn (again, no added salt)
    1 can black beans (again, no added salt)

mix together with garlic powder, onion powder (or chop a fresh onion if you like them a lot), cumin powder, etc on spices

this is really good on chips (look for low fat, low cal chips, they do exist, or make your own from corn tortillas), but also good eaten with a dab of sour cream and a fork

Another quick "desk snack" is just frozen fruit or veggies - those are year round and quite good still frozen (plus take longer to eat).

For the freaking cold days, try some warm butternut squash soup (tons of recipes, really easy to make and low cal/high nutrients). If you have access to a toaster oven or microwave, make some sweet potato fries at home (oven baked, really easy, no added sugar) and then reheat those at work.

For drinks, warm tea always helps me and if you get the fruity variety and add a tiny bit of honey it's a perfect sweet treat for under 20 cal (for the honey).
  • klsnell1981
    klsnell1981 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i am like you, loving the junk food snacks! I have an advantage due to my food allergy (I am allergic to nuts- all types) I try to only buy snacks for the kids that have nut or nut products in them, so I am not tempted. But i do indulge in the 100cal packs of cookies, snack crackers, etc. I tell myself that I can have it, but just a few bites. Lay's baked chips are also really good and you get a decent amt of chips for under 150cal. I had to get used to reading labels and making compromises with my food. If I eat junk now, I better make up for it later (either with food or extra exercise) Good luck!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Try wasa crispbread or Kavli whole grain crisps (I swear the garlic ones taste like chips or flavored crackers) and 3 long rectangles are 50 cals. I usually eat one with sliced veggies, but if you are bored of those peel up a weight watchers string cheese on top, or spread 1 tbsp of hummus on.

**Removed ice cream sandwich suggestion and non-desk food suggestion.

I slice half a sweet potato into thin rounds and nuke that to eat at my desk. Microwave popcorn (95% fat free butter) is also really calorie free, kind of warm and yummy.

Good luck!
  • KayJayKing
    KayJayKing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    20 mini Nilla Wafers is 140 calories. With 1 tbsp of Nutella at 100 calories.
  • sgiacherio
    Options
    If you like black beans, I really enjoy this quick mix:

1 can chopped tomatoes (get the low salt, no added sugar type)
    1 can corn (again, no added salt)
    1 can black beans (again, no added salt)

mix together with garlic powder, onion powder (or chop a fresh onion if you like them a lot), cumin powder, etc on spices

this is really good on chips (look for low fat, low cal chips, they do exist, or make your own from corn tortillas), but also good eaten with a dab of sour cream and a fork

Another quick "desk snack" is just frozen fruit or veggies - those are year round and quite good still frozen (plus take longer to eat).

For the freaking cold days, try some warm butternut squash soup (tons of recipes, really easy to make and low cal/high nutrients). If you have access to a toaster oven or microwave, make some sweet potato fries at home (oven baked, really easy, no added sugar) and then reheat those at work.

For drinks, warm tea always helps me and if you get the fruity variety and add a tiny bit of honey it's a perfect sweet treat for under 20 cal (for the honey).

I love black beans! I will definitly try that. I love squash soup too. So warm and cozy! The sweet potato snack is a great idea and I drink tea all winter. Sometimes that's all I need. Thanks so much!
  • sgiacherio
    Options
    Try wasa crispbread or Kavli whole grain crisps (I swear the garlic ones taste like chips or flavored crackers) and 3 long rectangles are 50 cals. I usually eat one with sliced veggies, but if you are bored of those peel up a weight watchers string cheese on top, or spread 1 tbsp of hummus on.

**Removed ice cream sandwich suggestion and non-desk food suggestion.

I slice half a sweet potato into thin rounds and nuke that to eat at my desk. Microwave popcorn (95% fat free butter) is also really calorie free, kind of warm and yummy.

Good luck!

Sweet potatoes are such a great idea. Yum! Popcorn is good too, I used to do that but haven't thought about buying more. I'll add it to my list. Thank you!
  • sgiacherio
    Options
    Thank you everyone. There are some great ideas I plan to try this winter. Sweet potato snacks would be great for my daughter too. I love MFP! :)
  • BSWC
    BSWC Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are healthier snacks than junk food - trust me. I like almonds, wasa crackers with Laughing Cow cheese, hummus, Wasa crackers and peanut butter, greek yogurt or any yogurt (you can find ones that are 100 calories), 100 calorie packs - both sweet and salty, bananas, apples with peanut butter is good too. I am a junk food junky too; I have just learned to substitute.

Those are some great Wasa recipes. I work with Wasa so I tend to indulge in the product a lot. It's not particularly great for my goal to gain more weight, but it's definitely a healthy snack to munch on. Have you liked the Wasa Facebook page and signed up for the $1 off coupon? I hope this helps.

B