Meal prepping

Options
silacey08
silacey08 Posts: 10 Member
Any body have tips on how to meal prep chicken for the week with out it getting dried out and hard?
Tagged:

Replies

• Summersigh2015
    Summersigh2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I poach skinless chicken breasts in chicken stock until they’re just cooked, then allow them to cool and keep them in the refrigerator in a container with the stock. Then I use them as needed and they retain their moisture and flavor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I'm going to poach chicken next.

First up are these 3 Ingredient Tacos (a deceptive name, as this does not include spices: Salt, Garlic Powder, Smoked Paprika, Red Crushed Pepper, Oregano)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuPwzhVSiDU&t=343s

I don't freeze them like he does - I make them as we eat them, and add lettuce and sour cream. We prefer wheat tortillas to corn.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You can brine your chicken breasts: mix 2 cups water, 1/8 cup each sugar and salt. Heat the water to dissolve the sugar/salt. Cool the liquid. Soak a pound of chicken in the liquid in the refrigerator for 12 hours before draining and cooking the meat (bake, saute, grill, etc). You can add any herbs you want to the brining water. And you'll likely find different ratios of water, sugar, salt in different online brining recipes.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    You can brine your chicken breasts: mix 2 cups water, 1/8 cup each sugar and salt. Heat the water to dissolve the sugar/salt. Cool the liquid. Soak a pound of chicken in the liquid in the refrigerator for 12 hours before draining and cooking the meat (bake, saute, grill, etc). You can add any herbs you want to the brining water. And you'll likely find different ratios of water, sugar, salt in different online brining recipes.

What about not draining and poaching in the brining water?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    You can buy pre cooked frozen chicken. This is assuming you're using a microwave to heat your food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    We have a household of two, so when we roast a chicken it lasts several days with the leftovers.

Day 1. Roast chicken. I spatchcock (cut along one side of the spine, then flatten the chicken skin side up by pressing firmly down on the breast bone). Cooking in this position means that legs and breasts are done at the same time because a coventional oven is hotter around the perimeter (where the legs are) than in the centre (where the breasts are). Concentrate on eating bony bits like wings, backbone and drumsticks as leftover thighs and breasts are easier to deal with.

For the leftovers to prevent the chicken going dry, I either make salads or soups. Here are some particularly easy ways to use up the leftover roast chicken.

Day 2. Vaguely Mexican chicken salad. Chop up an avocado and handful of fresh coriander. Toss chopped chicken meat with it and add jar of ready made salsa. Have this in a wrap or tortilla shell.

Day 3. Avgolemono. This is a tasty easy soup that does not require having chicken stock on hand. Boil a handful of rice in 2 or 3 cups of water. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon. Toss in some chopped chicken to warm through once the rice is cooked. Beat two eggs in a bowl, then temper by whisking in a half cup of hot soup. When the egg mixture is loose, turn down the heat and stir in the egg mixture to thicken the soup. Season with salt and plenty of pepper. Serve with a greek salad.

Day 4. Coronation chicken. This is a filling for sandwiches. Toss chopped chicken in a combination of mayo and yoghurt (yoghurt reduces the amount of mayo needed and thus calories), add a few raisins, a little mango chutney and a generous sprinkle of curry powder. Season to taste.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You can buy pre cooked frozen chicken. This is assuming you're using a microwave to heat your food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That’s pretty much the only chicken I “cook”. Always tender, never overcooked and you only use what you need at that moment instead of throwing half of it away.
  • laurenamundson
    laurenamundson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I buy the Tyson farm refrigerated chicken strips. I will eat them cold or, if I’m feeling fancy, I will sauté them. I’ll get the family size and it will usually last me the week.
  • ShayShayGrey
    ShayShayGrey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do chicken breast in the crockpot season with salt,pepper,onion and garlic powder. Pour salsa (I prefer the one kept in the refrigerator) over it and *kitten* in crockpot until tender; for a couple hours. I top this with varieties like avocado, cheese or maybe some sour cream.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Bump
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I know this is an old post that has been bumped but there is good information here. In regards to the precooked chicken that you can buy, I find that it tastes "off" to me. I like grilled chicken for salads but have yet to find a way for the leftovers to have the freshly grilled taste it has the first day.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,921 Member
    Options
    Roast chicken.
    Toss chicken legs or thighs (they don't dry out as bad) in oil. Season. Put on a parchment lined cookie sheet in a preheated 450 oven 40ish minutes, turning once after about 20 minutes.
    Store leftovers in a tightly covered dish or in ziploc bags to keep them from getting dry.
    You can bake potatoes or sweet potatoes, roast veggies at the same time.