McDonald's...give me some compelling reasons to resist!

Options

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    It smells gross.

It tastes gross.

What other reasons do you need?

Chicken McNuggets...taste and smell DELICOUS
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Check out the movie...Super Size Me.

YES! THIS is the movie for you!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Go watch "Super Size Me" and you'll have all the reasons you need.

Their food is plain terrible for your body. (Think of your body like a car. Would you but the equivalent of sludge into your gas tank just because there's room in the tank for it? I surely hope not.) Their food has so many preservatives, it takes MONTHS to deterioriate. Their fries are made with beef stock, gross! Ridiculous amountso f sodium as you said. NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE. You feel depressed and sluggish after eating them because of all the afore mentioned reasons.

Can you tell us WHY you would want to eat them? Legit reasons like you asked us for, not just, "they taste good lol".

That is a great documentary. I didn't need to watch it to not eat there---their food is soooo bad. But watching that guy's body start to shut down before a month of eating McDo cinched it! Anything that will kill you in less than 30 days is reason enough to stay away.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    You might gain it in water weight
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    One of the main reasons I hardly ever eat McD's anymore (and if I do it's just yogurt) is that if you look at some of the ingredients in them... Yuck. Not to mention the sodium count. To me it's simply not worth it; even if I do have the calories available for it. and just let me say, I miss my mini Big Mac's on occasion.

ooh ingredients could be interesting *pulls up google
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    One of the guys at work brought McDonalds for lunch. I have room in my calories for the day to eat at McDonald's for dinner and be fine but i'm interested to see why YOU think I should resist. I know "oh there's so much sodium." blah blah blah blah but give me some serious compelling reasons (or just fun interesting ones.)

I'm not saying that eating fast food from time to time is evil, i'm just interested to see what you all have to say.

Knowing what I have eaten for the last week, i would tell myself, "Emily you hardly eat fast food so if you ocassionaly have it no biggy BUT while you were in CA you ate more than enough junk for the month so wait it out!" Not super interesting but definitely compelling.

I had a similar problem today, I'll tell you what I did and why.

A coworker gave me a coupon for a free bagel with cream cheese from Brueggers. I love those. And I worked out so I could even have it if I wanted to.

I threw the coupon away. To prove to myself that I could. That the food didn't have control over me. That I could make healthy decisions even in the face of temptation.

That feeling was better than the feeling of eating a bagel loaded with fatty cream cheese.

^^ LIKE
  • wendibartel
    Options
    Before I began using MFP and became serious about loosing weight and getting healthy I would eat at McDonalds atleast 3 times a week usually more. It has been close to three months now and I have eaten there a total of two times since and both have felt really bad afterwards. I have a coworker that eats it ever day. While yes some days the smell makes me want it BAD I have been really good at resisting. I feel better about it and I look better. Not to mention I am saving a huge amount of money.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Ok I have to say something in the name of science and truth. The reason McDonald's hamburgers don't get moldy is the same reason most any burger doesn't get moldy. They lack moisture. Yes burgers CAN and sometimes do grow mold. But if the little amount of moisture in them evaporates before any bacteria can take hold they essentially become beef jerky. They will never grow mold. Same with the buns.

You can make a homemade burger with the most healthy ingredients. And if you let if set out for a few days there's a very good chance it won't ever get moldy.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It smells gross.

It tastes gross.

Maybe you should try eating elsewhere for a while. If you think those are delicious, your culinary experiences need to be broadened and your palate educated.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    I would eat it anyway.

But maybe this will help you: http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/cheeseburger-take-2-day-11/

I love your honesty! haha And that home cooked one looks gross! who wants to eat a moldy burger hahaha
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you leave the paper bag in your car for too long, it starts to smell like humid rain. Ew.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Go watch "Super Size Me" and you'll have all the reasons you need.

Their food is plain terrible for your body. (Think of your body like a car. Would you but the equivalent of sludge into your gas tank just because there's room in the tank for it? I surely hope not.) Their food has so many preservatives, it takes MONTHS to deterioriate. Their fries are made with beef stock, gross! Ridiculous amountso f sodium as you said. NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE. You feel depressed and sluggish after eating them because of all the afore mentioned reasons.

Can you tell us WHY you would want to eat them? Legit reasons like you asked us for, not just, "they taste good lol".

As a former McDonald's manager I can tell you that everything you said in this post is absolutely false. Stop believing everything you read on the internet.
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    They put sugar in everything to make it more addictive. Seriously the report came out a month ago. Salad, fries and EVERYTHING!!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    It smells gross.

It tastes gross.

Maybe you should try eating elsewhere for a while. If you think those are delicious, your culinary experiences need to be broadened and your palate educated.

LOL oh, don't get me wrong, i'd eat Sushi, Thai, Indian, or just about any other well prepared ethnic food way before McDonalds but those foods are not availible down here in the Dirty Jerz. Trust me, my palate is educated.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Other than it's horribly nasty food. They kill the bacteria in their burgers (and by bacteria I also mean animal waste) with ammonia. That's right. Your burger had an ammonia bath before you ate it. Eating the chicken? The chicken was sitting in a cage where it can't move sitting paralyzed in it's own waste. Does that help? LOL!

This is disgusting, where are you getting you information? I must see the facts!
  • laurielou04
    laurielou04 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well... for me... most things from McDonald's make me ridiculously ill. I get a horrible stomach ache.

me too...i never eat there anymore! yuck!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Supporting McDonalds is supporting a food system that promotes food that is of a lower quality in the interest of driving down prices to sell dollar hamburgers.

McDonalds is such a big purchaser of food products that the overall quality of foods has decreased and shown up at the grocery store because the same meat that McDonalds wants can be packaged and placed in the meat section at your store.

your rational about it promoting lower quality food I disagree with, HOWEVER I do hate supporting corporate America which McD's is the epitome of!
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Jeezus, stop with the Super Size Me reference. She's talkin about having a 10-piece mcnugget, not eating it every day for a ridiculous amount of time.

And just for the record, that documentray was just straight up dumb. We all knew before it was made that if you eat like that, you're gonna get fat.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's filled with genetically modified and transgenic products--in addition to irradiated produce. Nutritional values are horrible. I do love the fries, but they're pre-soaked in sugar water. Not good.