Is peanut butter bad for you?

Options
I love to eat peanut butter and jelly on toast usually once a day or 4 - 5 times per week. But its alot of calories and fat. I've been told that peanut butter has good fat though. Is that true?

Replies

• jodielharth
    Options
    I love to eat peanut butter and jelly on toast usually once a day or 4 - 5 times per week. But its alot of calories and fat. I've been told that peanut butter has good fat though. Is that true?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yep, it's true. Go for natural peanut butters though, better than the sugary Jif type peanut butters.
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It also makes a really good snack-I love peanut butter with my apple slices for some good protein...
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was just gonna say that. We always get natural peanut butter. It's a pain to stir the 1st time, and no good for quick fixes if you are just opening the jar, but after that you're good to go and it's so much healthier. The fats are easier for the body to break down. Regular peanut butter also has partially hydrogenated oils...trans fats...even if it's 0 grams per serving, there still not good.
  • jodielharth
    Options
    Where can i find natural peanut butter? I havent seen it before, but then again i havent ever looked for it.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    OK so those of you that eat natural peanut butter, what are the ones that have some sweet taste but are good for you? I've tasted natural almond butter and it's horrible!
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Where can i find natural peanut butter? I havent seen it before, but then again i havent ever looked for it.

any grocery store that carries organic brands should have it. If not a specialty grocery store will have it. I barely eat PB but when I do I get it at a health food grocery store.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    OK so those of you that eat natural peanut butter, what are the ones that have some sweet taste but are good for you? I've tasted natural almond butter and it's horrible!
    natural PBs aren't sweet. They have a really nutty flavour. They taste like actual peanuts. It's different but you will get used to it really quickly.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I usually get Adam's 100% Natural Peanut Butter, Creamy. I also usually shop at the Commissary...military wife. I know that other people get it cause it's in the database. Wal-Mart should have it. And I get the salted kind. I tried the unsalted 1st and it was a little...weird, like eating peanuts that someone had rinsed off.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jodielharth
    Options
    Thankyou all so much for your help!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I like Skippy's All Natural-

But I try not to eat too much peanut butter because the calories add up quick -- I like PB & J - and celery with peanut butter-
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Most major brands have "good" PB. Just look at the ingredients. If it has more than two listed, don't get it.
  • happyhubbard
    Options

I JUST saw a commercial by Jif- supposedly they make a new All Natural Peanut Butter! Go to their website to see where you can buy it. Let me know how it tastes if you get it!:happy:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Naturally More PB is my fav.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I get peanut butter that is made at a local health food store. Its not sweetened. If I want it to taste sweetened I add some honey ( yummy pb and honey :tongue: ) or I add stevia if I don't want the added cals.

There was a brand at Walmart that I found with pretty good ingredients.It was inexpensive but I can't remember what the name is.
  • laird20k
    laird20k Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I buy Kraft Natural Peanut Butter.. If I have it on toast, I like to add honey for sweetness..

Fun Fact: If you continually eat 3 or more Tablespoons of Peanut Butter a day you could eventually develop a peanut allergy.. Well at least my Biology Textbook said so.. :huh:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options

I eat Smart Balance Omega Natural Peanut Butter. It is sweetened with molasses. It has four ingredients - Peanuts, natural oil blend (flaxseed and palm fruit oils), salt and molasses.

It's sweet enough for me, but not nearly as sweet as commercially popular brands that have high fructose corn syrup.

I got mine at Fry's, a regular grocery store.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Naturally More PB is my fav.

Me too!!! Totally addicted to it, less fat than regular PB and made w/ flaxseed oil and wheat germ. I get it at Super Wal*mart.

For my family, I buy the Meijer brand Natural chunky PB. You have to stir it, then I flip it upside down to store. (I don't put mine in the fridge, we go through it too fast!)

Just watch your portion size. I keep a tablespoon on top of the PB jar, and only measure one T. at a time when I use it. :wink:
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was just gonna say that. We always get natural peanut butter. It's a pain to stir the 1st time, and no good for quick fixes if you are just opening the jar, but after that you're good to go and it's so much healthier. The fats are easier for the body to break down. Regular peanut butter also has partially hydrogenated oils...trans fats...even if it's 0 grams per serving, there still not good.

You are SO right about how diffcult it is to open a jar...I thought it was just me!
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I eat Smart Balance Omega Natural Peanut Butter. It is sweetened with molasses. It has four ingredients - Peanuts, natural oil blend (flaxseed and palm fruit oils), salt and molasses.

[/quote]

love it, no need to stir, purchase at Kroger's.