60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    @KerryITD I guess it depends what you're logging! I've gone through periods where I was diligent about logging but still gained weight. CICO (calories in calories out) is science. We just have to expend more calories than we take in and we will lose weight. But unfortunately the act of logging isn't science, because we are human. Sometimes we over estimate our portions. Sometimes we under estimate. Sometimes we choose the wrong entry, (usually the one that is most beneficial to our tally 🙁). But if you are confident that you are logging your food correctly, then maybe you just need to consume less calories in order to see a loss? Or throw in an extra walk or some other type of exercise?

@SbetaK I'm here, but yeh, it has been quiet lately! We just finished a big 4-day winter sporting event in town so lots of volunteer hours the last couple of weeks. My husband's volunteer role with the event required him to start right after Christmas. It was fun, and very rewarding, but it's kind of nice to get back into a regular routine this week and just catch our breath.

The best news is that after the strangest of all winters, there is finally enough snow to go skiing at my local x-country ski facility. Usually by now I've been out 20-30 times but due to the lack of snow, today will be my first time this season. I've been going to the gym instead, but it's a very poor substitution for being outside, with my border collie and golden retriever running beside me 🙂

• KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @ridiculous59 , I hear you about CICO. I've never been completely certain of what my calorie goal should be...I'm 64, have always had insulin resistance (even when at a healthier weight) with PCOS and other hormonal imbalances that make me think I just need to eat less than what MFP says. That said, I'm also 5'8" and not wispy lol so net 1200 cals has never been sustainable for me. I do have a new rescue 6 month old pup though, so I'm walking a ton more. Yay for dogs!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi @KerryITD! I check in here every day, it's just been so quiet I wondered how everyone was doing! I'm consistently logging my food too, and especially keeping my worst habit of too much salt in check. I've been hovering around the same weight for about 3 weeks, despite following my macros/goals, and I am just now finally seeing the scale drop. Guess I had to stabilize for awhile. I'm an active person, and as I lose weight I feel more energetic, have a lighter "step" when i walk, I guess I could describe it as feeling more "youthful" than when I was heavier. I felt like a slug then, hahahaha. Thanks for coming back to me, I hope others on here are doing well, feeling well, need a hug, and chime in on their thoughts!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    edited February 29
    Options
    Hi @AnnPT77 Sure hope you find a source that is minor for your health issues. Gets scary when we get older. I'm jealous of your weather! It warmed up into the 40's (F) where I live, all the snow and ice disappeared except for on the mountain tops. Then a couple days ago, a big windstorm hit us, 50-60 knot winds, and now its in the teens, colder with the wind chill. And my water pipes have frozen. And just to trick us, the skies are clear and the sun is shining. At least my kitties have a nice sunny spot to laze about in with the sun rays streaming through the windows. Love your flower pics. There is one stubborn little violet in a pot on my deck, that has bloomed all winter! Hope you feel more up to par soon!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I second that wish for you to find out what's going on. Sometimes the not knowing is worse than the actual diagnosis.
  • noirparis
    noirparis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please add me to the list/group. I need to loose 30 pounds also. I am good at the walking. My eating my goal of at least 5-7 greens and/or vegetables per day sucks and my weight training is non-existent.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,312 Member
    edited March 5
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    It's lonely here! Anyone home?

Hey hey, you didn't extinguish us yet! 😘
    There is one stubborn little violet in a pot on my deck, that has bloomed all winter!
    Can you post a picture? Would love to see this! And maybe plant some! I find snapdragons to be really hardy on my deck.

Weird weather here too - lovely and warming, then blast of icy cold for a day or 2 - my plants don't know what to make of it!

I was in Mexico for 10 days or so early in Feb, travelling around with friends that live back east, so that was lots of fun.

My weight was up a couple of pounds on return, and was slowly disappearing when the bursitis in my hip flared up again (not nearly as painful as first flare up last Summer) and that seemed to stall me out, and weight drifted up a bit.
    Now I'm on the mend again but having trouble maintaining a deficit plus activity dwindled to almost nothing. Ah well, I do know what to do, and certainly not giving up! Just need to implement lol.

Good to hear from you, anyone else want to chime in??

Sending you my best wishes Ann for some concrete answers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good wishes, all. I appreciate it!

FWIW: In case anyone is interested, and is in the US, the current AARP magazine has some suggested fitness self-assessments for aerobic fitness, flexibility, muscular strength, and balance, with some target values (averages or similar, by age group and sex) plus suggested ways to improve.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the "grades", but the individual tests could be a way to self-assess/appreciate one's progress on things we're working to improve. (It's a multi-page piece; I'm not going to lay out all their IP here.)

This would be the February/March 2024 issue, which has a dual cover (on front/back). One cover has a photo of Robert DeNiro, and the other has a photo of some (former) pro athletes in their 50s. There's also some other fitness info and some recommended warm-ups for pickleball.
  • Neon_B
    Neon_B Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and getting older is not for the weak, lol. Feel free to add me, the more the merrier as far as getting healthier!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hello and welcome to @noirparis and @Neon_B, @riderkh5801 and any other new folks (with apologies) whose first message here I missed. Stick around, post, chip away at your goals - all good stuff. :flowerforyou:
  • Damian45
    Damian45 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I can join in three years. Good luck to ya'll. :)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,392 Member
    Options
    rsdu2ilzkuxb.jpeg
    Keep on keeping on!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Damian45 wrote: »
    I can join in three years. Good luck to ya'll. :)

@Damian45, I think you can join now if you want to. I don't think anyone's checking IDs at the door. ;)
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    rsdu2ilzkuxb.jpeg
    Keep on keeping on!

This is my fear! I love swings lol, but don't really fit...
  • ksquacker
    ksquacker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Again, I originally signed up last year but didn't post anything after that. since then I have lost 78 lbs, not in a wheelchair anymore, still on Oxygen for COPD (keeps me kickin'), I use a 4 wheeled walker on long walks but not around the house. I took up Macramé' in October 2023 and am getting pretty good, or so I've been told. It's fun. I have a timer on my computer that get's me up for a walk every hour and to drink water every 2 hours. The Dr has me on a 1500 ml water restriction and I am also taking a Super-Duper diuretic twice a day which has me getting up and going to the restroom pretty frequently too. Anyhow, I'll start making weekly updates to keep you informed. I am a 66 yr old single dude who lives in the Midwest.
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 7
    Options
    ksquacker wrote: »
    Hello Again, I originally signed up last year but didn't post anything after that. since then I have lost 78 lbs, not in a wheelchair anymore, still on Oxygen for COPD (keeps me kickin'), I use a 4 wheeled walker on long walks but not around the house. I took up Macramé' in October 2023 and am getting pretty good, or so I've been told. It's fun. I have a timer on my computer that get's me up for a walk every hour and to drink water every 2 hours. The Dr has me on a 1500 ml water restriction and I am also taking a Super-Duper diuretic twice a day which has me getting up and going to the restroom pretty frequently too. Anyhow, I'll start making weekly updates to keep you informed. I am a 66 yr old single dude who lives in the Midwest.

@ksquacker, that sounds like amazing progress: Congratulations! Keep up the good work, and I'll look forward to seeing your weekly updates.