What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    @mjbnj0001
    I would recommend getting a standalone thermometer to pop into your freezer. Our lowest freezer setting is -21C but the thermometer says -26C if it hasn't been opened overnight and maybe -25C during the day when I have been opening the door. I cross checked accuracy with my meat thermometer which says my freezer is between -24C and -25C when the thermostat is set at at -21C. The FDA guidelines say to freeze fish for raw consumption at -20C or lower for 7 days or -35C for 15 hours. Most domestic freezers reach -18C apparently.

@mtaratoot
    I read that salmon and tuna are typically flash frozen at very low temperature at sea. What about sea bream and sea bass? In my recent post of our Friday night Nikkei dinner out we had hamachi tiradito as well as hamachi in one of the maki rolls. It is indeed delicious.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Tapas dinner. A Spanish tortilla, some leftover taktouka from last weekend with toast, a salad with roast grapes and feta. I took out a small portion of salt beef from the freezer but forgot to serve it.
    ly7t0b4dnbmh.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    Last chance to experiment with kakiage before next weekend's dinner party. I liked the batter version with 2 parts potato starch to 1 part wheat flour. Hubby preferred rice flour. We had the kakiage experiment with some dashi broth. Starter of albacore tuna tataki salad and tuna salad (=tinned tuna + mayo) and cucumber maki roles.
    cq51efl5hdpf.jpeg
    ouqxf9xoeaj7.jpeg
    hy83bgckc8bj.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    @mjbnj0001
    A couple of tips about checking if your freezer is cold enough to kill parasites in order to serve fish raw:
    1. I found it useful to use a thermometer with a dial reading so that you can see the temperature continuously as opposed to an instant read digital where you need to wait a few seconds after pressing a button by which time the thermometer warms up outside of the freezer. The thermometer we use in the freezer was originally bought for the oven, where I did not trust the accuracy of the thermostat.
    2. My freezer is colder around the perimeter than in the centre. Even if the centre does not reach the -20C recommended by the FDA, you might find spots around the perimeter near the cooling elements that do.
  • SamAlmeida7222
    SamAlmeida7222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I had...
    One cup oats
    Three eggs
    Two pieces of toast with peanut butter
    Banana
    Protein shake
  • acpgee
    Options
    Celeriac soup with chorizo oil as a starter. Main of cheese souffle and salad with roasted grapes and corned beef, which I forgot to serve yesterday. The cheese souffle was a cosmetic fail because I didn't beat the egg whites enough, so the volume of the batter didn't fill the ramekins. It was still a nice airy texture.
    822r2jopqb9x.jpeg
    tzjd357gv9vt.jpeg
    ktlzm6x3q339.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Spaghetti carbonara and crudites to dip into leftover taktouka.
    1eaeityb4elu.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    The hubby took me out in return for setting up the printer on his new laptop. Good deal! We went to a fine dining place offering a 40% discount on weeknights.
    pttdp0t7zl3q.jpeg
    mynxaiu0o6xn.jpeg
    8rvu9c1fmyud.jpeg
    rcc4h4ota7db.jpeg
    go4pv8x6vipq.jpeg
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,805 Member
    edited March 7
    Options
    badnoodle wrote: »
    I keep forgetting to come back to this thread, and also I've been eating a lot of straight trash the last few weeks. :(:#
    That's a shame, because that is some seriously good-looking food you posted there! Thanks for sharing! In case you didn't know, you can subscribe to a conversation thread by clicking that little white flag thingie just to the right of the thread title. The flag will turn blue to tell you you're subscribed, and then you get notifications whenever someone comments on the thread (which will make it much harder to forget in the future, haha). You can unsubscribe anytime by turning the flag white again.
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    @acpgee Your tech support reward looks delicious :)
  • swan57
    swan57 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    not too computer savvy - how do you open and view these recipes
  • acpgee
    Options
    Labour intensive breakfast.
    2ep9j8zwrelg.jpeg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    swan57 wrote: »
    not too computer savvy - how do you open and view these recipes
    This is not a recipe collection, it’s mostly just people showing what they ate. Although if you browse the thread you will see that some of the comments do have basic info on how the dish was made, or even a link to a recipe.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 350 Member
    edited March 7
    Options
    Lunch- baby mixed lettuce, smoked turkey, apple, dried cranberry, smoked almonds, onion, light honey mustard dressing. <400 cal

9hznqaus7p3p.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    A starter of toast and a dip of roasted feta and grapes. Main of miso marinated sea bream and stir fried choi sum.
    uwrofprc2ijp.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Whoops. Here is the main.
    zo862ko9cfnb.jpeg

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:

Almond wraps with smoked salmon and avocado. (Some onion and cilantro) and a side of shitake-caulisotto.

z4sgzcptd1k1.jpeg