Counting calories so insane !

Options
124»

Replies

• serpilchiba336
    serpilchiba336 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @osmith1999 Thanks so much! I don’t like strength training and not liking so much being at the gym but I do it anyways.I like outdoor sports more. I love salad I eat all kinds of salad.I am ready to make changes because I really want to minimize my sweet cravings.I will add more fish and veggies instead of eating meat everyday.I love eggs and yogurt eating them less will make me so unhappy but I will try. Is 5 minutes oats okay? I want to have a healthy relationship with food.If I can get my bulimia under control with the therapy I will be so glad.I am afraid of eating food and gain weight so I feel guilty even if I eat healthy..I am working on my insecurities and confident .
  • serpilchiba336
    serpilchiba336 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @PAV8888 Hello yes my doctors and therapist s know about my calorie counting.They advice me to try and see how I feel.They don’t want to say that it’s bad or good.They want me to make healthy choices and feel my feelings and see how I react to it.I eat less or some days a lot but keeping food inside me is the challenge. I am trying hard to heal ad learn to
    Live with my ED .Thanks for your comment.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    edited March 5
    Options
    I am glad to hear you're discussing these things with them and that you are moving with caution and, possibly and hopefully by the sounds of it, starting to improve.

My (by the looks of it inaccurate) impression, was that direct calorie counting and large sized deficits were not normally encouraged when dealing with someone predisposed to ED(s).

In any case: be kind to yourself! As often as you can! :wink:
  • osmith1999
    osmith1999 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @serpilchiba336 yes! Just adding in more veggies is huge. Veggies are very beneficial "weight loss" foods and most are very low calories. And I think I mentioned raw veggies are actually negative calories. I understand being sad about having less of something you love, but hopefully that will pass. I learned to love new foods and new experiences. And I also started to view some foods as holiday foods that I would have occasionally or have less of. You are doing well! Keep progressing. :smile:
  • osmith1999
    osmith1999 Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 6
    Options
    @serpilchiba336 also if counting calories don't work for you try a different approach like meal patterning. For example you could just design the tweaks you want to your current diet and stick to that pattern instead of calorie counting
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    @PAV8888 Hello yes my doctors and therapist s know about my calorie counting.They advice me to try and see how I feel.They don’t want to say that it’s bad or good.They want me to make healthy choices and feel my feelings and see how I react to it.I eat less or some days a lot but keeping food inside me is the challenge. I am trying hard to heal ad learn to
    Live with my ED .Thanks for your comment.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I am glad to hear you're discussing these things with them and that you are moving with caution and, possibly and hopefully by the sounds of it, starting to improve.

My (by the looks of it inaccurate) impression, was that direct calorie counting and large sized deficits were not normally encouraged when dealing with someone predisposed to ED(s).

In any case: be kind to yourself! As often as you can! :wink:

You are correct that large deficits are discouraged during ED treatment. We've also had many posters in treatment say they are not supposed to count calories, but I don't know how universal this is.

@serpilchiba336 now that I know you're in treatment I'm not going to offer any more advice to you, other than to show this thread to your treatment team.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I’m only speaking for myself, but I’ve found that when I’m under severe pressure my go-to is comfort food. It’s my therapy. So taking that off the table while I’m going through a stressful situation was not possible for me. I needed that food for my sanity. Once that burden was lifted off it became much easier for me to lose.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    Thank you @frhaberl for articulating so very well both that the goal should not be the weight change directly but to develop lasting processes that lead to the weight change and are compatible with maintenance. And implicitly explaining why it is more than ok and even necessary to both take the time and enjoy the journey.

It is also necessary to be in, at the very least, a sufficiently objectively self managed state such that neurotransmitter and hormonal changes that come with the process of weight loss do not tip us out of the state of objectively sufficient self management.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for years. This year I stopped. I now do meal planning. I do count calories but only as an index of sorts. Being exact is impossible.

My only little morsel of advice is to cut carbs and sugars. Those are the monsters hiding under your bed.