Any thoughts on deli meats?

Options
AdahPotatah2024
AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,001 Member
I eat A LOT of sandwiches and wraps, especially in the summer. I've read that eating deli meat every day is unhealthy. So, I'll switch it up with tuna, eggs, or tofu, etc. Do you think it is unhealthy to eat deli meat/cheese almost every day even if it is with lots of salad greens and other healthy raw vegetables???

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    I think the issue with deli meats is mostly the amount of salt and/or nitrites/nitrates and/or saturated fats: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-can-i-choose-a-healthier-lunch-meat

I focus on low fat deli meats (chicken for example) and preferably organic/without preservatives, to limit the risks. I don't think adding vegetables does much to counter the negatives effects of the nitrates etc.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited March 8
    Options
    If it was once and a while, I wouldn't worry about it, but since you said A LOT...It's the nitrates that you probably don't want to consume every day.

If you have the time to do some pre-prep, roast an entire turkey breast and slice it up for sandwiches and wraps. You can freeze portions for later. Same with chicken breasts or beef/pork roasts. It would probably end up being tastier and cheaper than meats from the deli counter.

If you don't want to/can't do that...sure, you can mix it up with eggs or tuna (get light tuna in water to limit the mercury, not albacore). You can also buy sliced meat that is minimally processed and sliced directly from roasts, but this tends to be pretty expensive.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    edited March 8
    Options
    If it was once and a while, I wouldn't worry about it, but since you said A LOT...It's the nitrates that you probably don't want to consume every day.

If you have the time to do some pre-prep, roast an entire turkey breast and slice it up for sandwiches and wraps. You can freeze portions for later. Same with chicken breasts or beef/pork roasts. It would probably end up being tastier and cheaper than meats from the deli counter.

If you don't want to/can't do that...sure, you can mix it up with eggs or tuna (get light tuna in water to limit the mercury, not albacore). You can also buy sliced meat that is minimally processed and sliced directly from roasts, but this tends to be pretty expensive.

Regarding the bolded: I haven't done this for sandwiches specifically, but poaching chicken/turkey fillets is also a hassle-free way to prepare meat and it keeps the meat moist.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. I haven't thought about poaching meats. I was planning on maybe throwing a turkey in the crockpot on Sunday, and buying some brisket from a local place instead of sliced deli meat. It would be a bit more expensive. I usually buy Boars Head or the nitrate free Oscar Meyer turkey.