What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited March 8
    Options
    Some of my recent meals:

🧄 Roast Chicken Legs with Lots of Garlic ready to go in the oven.
    vn9i5nhqs3ks.jpg
    I ate them first with spinach sautéed in garlic & olive oil...
    65si8pvaypso.jpg
    🧄 ... and then with Charred Aubergines with Pine Nuts and Tahini, from the book The Real Meal Revolution. One of my favorite ways to make eggplant... so yummy. I have a copy of the book and I wasn't able to find the recipe online, but if anyone's interested it looks like you can enroll in the recipe collection for free here. I replaced the butter with olive oil, and increased the amount of lemon juice to 1/4 cup.
    eimup89ev5ss.jpg
    🥕 A quick "salad" of romaine lettuce, carrots, and canned smoked trout.
    me3pnxpntpf7.jpg
    🍲 Golden Chicken Vegetable Soup with Chickpeas (leftovers that I had put in the freezer a few months ago). Just a simple, brothy soup that warms the belly and heart. I needed a bit more protein & fat, so I also had a snack of Red Dragon English Cheddar with Wholegrain Mustard & Ale which is pretty good, though not my favorite cheese ever.
    3n8ab3osv8ya.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Buttery Scallops with Lemon and Herbs by Melissa Clark -- go ahead and click, it's a gift link so you can see it even if you don't subscribe to the NYT. I love this even though the flavors are quite strong for scallops. I'm usually a big fan of fresh herbs (one reason why I love Melissa Clark's recipes) but I don't think the herbs did this dish any favors, so I will make it without next time.
    gojtaqjssnn8.jpg
    Cucumbers with Ajo Blanco Sauce -- I made this as a side for the scallops, but the two don't go well together, so I ate them separately. I was also NOT impressed with this dish. First of all, there was WAY too much sauce, which was a waste of almonds; secondly, well, it was wrong in all kinds of ways: far too salty; a little too watery / not creamy enough; and I realized once again that I just don't care for the taste of raw garlic. My bad for not reading the recipe more closely before getting started.
    af16orm44m9b.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    edited March 8
    Options
    Soup of Lentils and Mushrooms -- another dish I pulled from the freezer. I made this last fall and did NOT care for it at all. I ended up adding some bright crunchy romaine, roasted & salted pumpkin seeds, and olive oil to the hot soup... this made it ok because it covered up all that uniformly brown flavor, but I would not make this soup again. Fortunately it's all gone now :D
    1072pfx7j7ki.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    Friday night is when we normally eat out becaue the hubby thinks it makes the weekend feel longer.
    ry4wzjmd5taz.jpeg
    1ye6ej9skxtn.jpeg
    5m5a51zb4hly.jpeg
    z7corhep3o55.jpeg
    wbmu5m767mgq.jpeg
    jozxso3r0mm1.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    @takinitalloff
    Sorry you didn't like the ajo blanco sauce, but try making a real ajo blanco soup in the summer if you haven't had it before. I tried it first in Andalusia. The first time I made it was from a Claudia Roden cookbook that called for 500g of peeled grapes. My husband loved it and used to beg me to make it. I think he even peeled all the grapes once.

An example of a recipe below. It is actually very easy if you don't need to peel a ton of grapes. I now know that halving the grapes gives the same mouth feel as peeled grapes.
    https://spanishsabores.com/ajo-blanco-recipe-chilled-almond-soup/
  • takinitalloff
    edited March 9
    Options
    @acpgee Wow that is a delicious-looking soup and thank you for sharing the recipe, but I'm going to pass on that at least for the foreseeable future. I'm eating low-carb/high-fat, and all that bread + apple and grapes would probably put me over my limit for the entire day :D Maybe in the future, if my dietary habits change. I still have a lot of weight to lose so I'm sticking to what works :) By the way I always get a smile out of the things you share about your husband (like the peeling of 500g of grapes, and his conviction that eating out on Fridays makes the weekends feel longer). I love your enthusiasm for good food. Your Friday night meal looks scrumptious as always.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    edited March 10
    Options
    A simple, quick-assemble meal tonight, home from errands: veg salad w oil&vinegar dressing, whole wheat spaghetti with a homemade tomato-cannelleni sauce. "Homemade" for the sauce is a little overstating the case, LOL: can of beans, plus cans of tomato sauce, add some herbs and spices, heat, let simmer to bring flavors together, and mix onto cooked pasta. MFP estimates approx. 804 cals, 36g protein, 14g fat, 138g carb (w 37g fiber) in this meal. I stayed within my daily goals.

o4d6g8rlwado.jpg

svp8mc50yq2e.jpg

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    A simple, quick-assemble meal tonight, home from errands: veg salad w oil&vinegar dressing, whole wheat spaghetti with a homemade tomato-cannelleni sauce. "Homemade" for the sauce is a little overstating the case, LOL: can of beans, plus cans of tomato sauce, add some herbs and spices, heat, let simmer to bring flavors together, and mix onto cooked pasta. MFP estimates approx. 804 cals, 36g protein, 14g fat, 138g carb (w 37g fiber) in this meal. I stayed within my daily goals.

o4d6g8rlwado.jpg

svp8mc50yq2e.jpg

I’m loving that colorful crispy looking salad!!
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited March 10
    Options
    Coniglio alla cacciatora (Rabbit Caccitore.)

Interesting to note - Caccitore in Italian means hunter.

I thought the best place I’ve ever eaten Rabbit was a small town in Italy, but I bought these at a local butcher shop (NY) and slow simmered.. tasted great.

loxltb9j5w85.jpeg

Did ya know- 3oz rabbit meat has over 90% daily rda of vitamin b12. One of the highest levels in any meat.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Reworked leftovers from last night's dinner party.
    l4i82kezbgi9.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    Options

I’m loving that colorful crispy looking salad!!

Thanks!

• mjbnj0001
    Options
    Coniglio alla cacciatora (Rabbit Caccitore.)

Did ya know- 3oz rabbit meat has over 90% daily rda of vitamin b12. One of the highest levels in any meat.

Who knew? Maybe that's why they're such energtic hoppers, LOL ...
  • annstebbing
    annstebbing Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Soup of Lentils and Mushrooms -- another dish I pulled from the freezer. I made this last fall and did NOT care for it at all. I ended up adding some bright crunchy romaine, roasted & salted pumpkin seeds, and olive oil to the hot soup... this made it ok because it covered up all that uniformly brown flavor, but I would not make this soup again. Fortunately it's all gone now :D
    1072pfx7j7ki.jpg

I just can't do lentils. They are very popular here, France, but just the look of them yuk. One of those thing I keep buying, because they are good for me then giving to the hens when they go out of date 😂
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited March 11
    Options
    Breakfast -
    🍽️ Chicken tenderloin with portobello mushrooms, onions, riced cauliflower with a black truffle -pecorino sauce.

u6gkru1zqp3o.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Starter of salad with roast grapes, feta and avocado. Main of gai yang which is Isaan (=NE Thai) BBQ chicken accompanied by mash and frozen peas mixed with blanched snow peas. I will be making the gai yang marinade again. Chicken was cooked in the air fryer. I have been meaning to try out some of the Thai food we tasted on our vacation at Christmas but this was the first opportunity/attempt.
    tcjn0purj9yw.jpeg
    nzn3wpfgwkzd.jpeg

• SafariGalNYC
    edited March 12
    Options
    Breakfast shake: lots of red kale, spinach, mizuna, açaí and blueberries + collagen.

Lunch - made some herby 🌿 almond - flax- olive loaf. (Topped with avocado and smoked salmon, not shown)

Dinner- poached chicken on bed of steamed & shredded broccoli stalks and carrot.

6tahj25rvipz.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Went to a basic poke/ramen place and ordered a lot of starters.
    ltv88lely76m.jpeg
    pco3u74n03jm.jpeg
    o6l9m984imo2.jpeg

• takinitalloff
    Options
    I just can't do lentils. They are very popular here, France, but just the look of them yuk. One of those thing I keep buying, because they are good for me then giving to the hens when they go out of date 😂
    I mean, you could just give them to your chickens fresh from the store ;) In all seriousness, I do like lentils, but they need to be cooked in a way that is not gross. That mushroom-lentil soup I posted? That was gross.