Macros?

Options
Hi all. I am trying to follow a plant based diet while also doing intermittent fasting and hoping to lose weight. I'm doing ok but I'm always coming out with too many fats, but they are healthy fats...Here's todays menu, my macro goals and my stats. PLEASE HELP! Breakfast, overnight oats with Chia seeds, coffee with oat milk, protein shake, Dinner Salmon with rice, broccoli and avocado salsa...goals Carbs 40%, Protein 35% and Fat 25%. After logging...I'm over on Fat and under on Protein

Best Answers

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,655 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Honey, if I ate that much protein I'd be blowing out the toilet with nuclear level explosions. Honestly, your macros look pretty darn good, not sure why you would want to eat less fat or more protein?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,777 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi all. I am trying to follow a plant based diet while also doing intermittent fasting and hoping to lose weight. I'm doing ok but I'm always coming out with too many fats, but they are healthy fats...Here's todays menu, my macro goals and my stats. PLEASE HELP! Breakfast, overnight oats with Chia seeds, coffee with oat milk, protein shake, Dinner Salmon with rice, broccoli and avocado salsa...goals Carbs 40%, Protein 35% and Fat 25%. After logging...I'm over on Fat and under on Protein

You can get away from percentages and use grams for a target.

If you arent very overweight shoot for between .7 and 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight and about .3 to .45 of fat. Fill the remainder of your target calories with whatever you want.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    edited March 11 Answer ✓
    Options
    You can set by grab to top of normal BMI. Tom's numbers. Maybe 0.8 to 1g per lb at BMI 24.9 instead of 0.7 and we are picking nuts

Calories you have to approximately hit over the weeks to get results. Macros have even more leeway.

You don't waste away when aiming for double the rdi of protein because you're short 5g

Protein, healthy fats, and fibers I view as minimums, what comes above is what makes sense at the time

Trans (and saturated) fats are not always correctly reported in the entries and there does exist support that suggests to limit them in favor of healthier options. There is not much controversy about limiting trans fats.

If you are trying to go lower carb once you've got your protein it would be normal to be high on fats. Both salmon and avocado are high fat. Probably filling. Not sure how salmon is plant based

That said you should play with your food.

What would happen if you replaced avocado salsa with California or Italian veggie mix. How many grams of veggies for the same calories? What happens if you use cauliflower or riced veggies (cauli broccoli carrots) either instead or mixed 50-50 with your rice or mixed by using half the calories? Or baby boiled potatoes, browned/run quickly though your salmon pan?

What would be more filling for the calories?

Answers

• KimberlyMontecalvo
    KimberlyMontecalvo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sollyn and Tom...Sollyn you crack me up! Tom, I'm about 60 pounds overweight, I will try what you suggested. Thanks to both of you for trying to help me, I really appreciate it.
  • KimberlyMontecalvo
    Options
    Pav thank you! Yes Salmon is not plant based...we are newly plant based so we eat meat or fish on the weekend...my other goal is to get my Cholesterol and Triglycerides down...anyway, thank you for your input, I really appreciate it!
  • PAV8888
    edited March 11
    Options
    I'm amazed you could guys could read what I wrote!

Here's attempt #2 --

You could set your minimums by grams of macros corresponding to the top of normal BMI. Tom's numbers are a good start. Maybe 0.8 to 1g of protein per lb of weight you would be at BMI 24.9 instead of the 0.7 he suggests-- and really the 0.7 vs 0.8 is nitpicking.

Because while you do have to fairly consistently hit calories over the weeks to get results, macros have more leeway. You won't waste away because of lack of protein if you're short 5g of protein when you're actually aiming for double the RDI.

Protein, healthy fats, and fiber, set by grams, I view as minimums. The remainder macro mix to hit your calories can and should be filled with whatever would best makes sense for you at the time.

... (continuing as per my post above) :blush:

You could also talk with your doctor re: cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol is directly reflected in blood cholesterol only for a small subset of the population. i.e. eating or not eating eggs may have zero (or quite a bit of an) effect on you. But, in general, high lipids and cholesterol (and A1C) issues are often (not always, but quite often) resolved with significant weight loss and increase in daily activity/moderate exercise.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,777 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sollyn and Tom...Sollyn you crack me up! Tom, I'm about 60 pounds overweight, I will try what you suggested. Thanks to both of you for trying to help me, I really appreciate it.
    you may want to set your macro goals of protein and fat at your target weight instead of your current weight.

• KimberlyMontecalvo
    Options
    Pav and Tom, thank you so much!!!! You both have given me some great ideas to work with, I plan on readjusting my macro goals for sure! I feel so stupid for not knowing about the RDI! Thank you all so much!!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/ is a pretty darn good guide.

And yes the RDA/RDI is well below anything discussed