Motivation!

Options
Hi everyone, 60yr old guy here needing to lose a few lbs more for health/self confidence than anything else.
Ever since being a child I've always been overweight/obese and many times since reaching adulthood, I've tried to do something about it, but always failed. Back in the day I tried Atkins, I've tried every diet imaginable (most sensible ones) and I'm currently doing dirty Keto, and keeping my carbs low, fats high and protein moderate.
I started on 5th Feb using the basic MFP and I've lost 15lbs to date, but I feel I need motivation from like minded people. So I joined the premium version today hoping I can make some new friends that I can share my current (hopefully last) weightloss journey with.

Replies

• Richard_Pidcock
    Richard_Pidcock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You only need your own self determination and will. I’m 55 this year and my doc all but told me I was fat at my last appointment. I’ve been up and down over the years and the one thing I’ve learned is that you can’t outwork a bad diet. Exercise is great and necessary but more critical is dietary control. Find a good plan and stick with it. It has to be a lifestyle change, and I’m talking to myself as I type this. I’m down 20lbs since I re-engaged. You can do it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,192 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

This can work. I joined MFP at age 59, after being overweight/obese for around 30 previous years. I've been at a healthy weight since just under a year of loss, now age 68. IME, it's soooo worth the effort!

If keto's working well for you to manage appetite, that's great, especially if you see it as a style of eating you could continue long-term to stay at a healthy weight. (It's fine to lose weight using an eating routine that won't work permanently, but I feel pretty strongly that it's a good plan - sometime during loss - to experiment and find eating habits that can continue almost on autopilot after loss to stay at a healthy weight. Many people think maintenance is harder than loss.)

If you're looking for like-minded folks, you might want to check out some of the challenges or groups mentioned in the Challenges section of the Community here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

There's also a long-running thread for people over 60:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up#latest

Don't be dismayed if you open that up and see old posts. Like most long-running threads here, the newer posts are at the end, on the high-numbered pages. You can jump straight there using the number/arrow keys near the bottom of the page.

There are also a couple of less active 50-plus (or so) groups, such as:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

That said, I think people of all ages who're trying to lose weight have more in common than not, so diving into the general Community discussions here can be useful (especially reading the posts in the "Most Helpful Posts" section of the "Getting Started" and "Health and Weight Loss" topic areas.)

I'm cheering for you to succeed - the quality of life benefits are more than worth the effort, in my experience!

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    61 hope you can reach your goals consistently to be the best bet
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Sorry but motivation from a bunch of well intentioned randoms on-line won't do you any good. You have to have a long term vivid goal you can work toward (probably with some subgoals built in).

I'm stealing from a well known trainer, Dan John. My goal is to be healthy enough to dance with my granddaugher at her wedding (hopefully after she gets her masters). She's 6 months old and I'm in my mid-60s so have some work to do, but a very vivid goal.

Good luck.