Low Cal Flavour for Plain Greek Yogurt?

Options
Tango_Bravado
Tango_Bravado Posts: 24 Member
edited March 10 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all,
I have been eating overnight oats for breakfast with frozen blueberries. I am trying to keep sugar down, so I switched to high protein plain greek yogurt and I have lost about 35% of my daily happiness lol. So I am trying to make it taste less like sour cream haha!
I just picked up a few things and was wondering what other people use to flavour their plain greek? Looking for low cal/low sugar, so not honey or syrup (although I have heard tales that sugar free syrup exists...)
Things I am going to try:
*Crystal Light Berry liquid squeeze
*Stevia liquid squeeze
*Low fat chocolate Jell-O powder
*Vanilla Extract with cinnamon powder

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,241 Member
    Options
    How long have you gone plain sugar-free yogurt?

I used to dislike the stuff, and now I love it. I use a high quality product made in Springfield, Oregon by a company in Ken Kesey's family. Maybe give it some time?
  • Tango_Bravado
    Tango_Bravado Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just made the switch from Blueberry Activia to High Protein Plain Greek Yogurt Liberte. The taste grows on you? I won't be this sad forever? lol
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I just made the switch from Blueberry Activia to High Protein Plain Greek Yogurt Liberte. The taste grows on you? I won't be this sad forever? lol

Your taste buds will change. Try adding some fruit to the yogurt. After a while, if you try the yogurt you used to eat, it will taste way too sweet to you.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    I prefer skyr to greek yogurt - perhaps it's worth a try? Both are high protein.
    I buy a flavored skyr, because I always add way more sweetness if I flavor it myself 🙂
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 10
    Options
    @Tango_Bravado
    Add:
    Sugar free Hershey chocolate syrupy.
    Homemade unsweetened apple sauce.
    Smuckers sugar free apricot or peach preserves.
    Mix half of the plain Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of your flavored yogurt.
    Sugar free Cool-whip or whipped light cream.
    One tbs of Carb. Control or None-added sugar Breyers ice cream (flavor of your choice).
    Fresh or frozen mangoes.
    Enjoy!

Note:just pick one choice only :)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    OK, this is a caloric sweetener, but bear with me.

I like blackstrap molasses, just a bit, in my oatmeal. Yes, it's "sugar", but if you look at a good brand, you'll find it can bring meaningful amounts of natural micronutrients into the day. The brand I prefer (Wholesome) has 117mg calcium (10% DV), 3mg iron (15%), 395mg potassium (8%), 0.1mg B-6 (6%), 42mg magnesium (10%) in a tablespoon, for 60 calories.

To me, that's not "empty calories", and personally I prefer eating something like that than the non-caloric sweeteners (which taste "off" to me). YMMV.

Before I started using that, I used a 30-calorie tablespoon of all-fruit spread. (I like Bionaturae brand, which is not cheap but is very fruit-intense. It does have "added sugar" in the form of a bit of concentrated apple juice, not even the first (biggest) ingredient on the ingredient list.

This idea may not work conceptually for others, but I think more about getting nutrition (and tastiness) for my calories, not just about cutting the calories wherever possible. Again, YMMV.

Best wishes!
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 10
    Options

Re low cal-
    If you buy frozen blueberries or cherries… let a 1/3 cup defrost and mix in- include the juice, it will sweeten it up if you don’t like the taste of plain.

Adds about 45 cals.

Also- have you tried different types of yogurts? Try some vanilla bean innit as well. Less than 5 cals.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    Instant coffee
    Pb 2
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited March 11
    Options
    Liquid sucralose 3 or 4 drops per 750g.

Plain cinnamon

Pumpkin spice

50-60 Cal peach cup in juice (125g) has sugar

Thawed berries as mentioned. Blendered needs less.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options

Good decision. The Activia has quite a few ingredients that include not only some blueberries but also sugar and concentrated grape juice for color which is more sugar along with ultra filtered milk, skim milk, cream, water, modified corn starch, to make it thicker, along with gelatin, natural flavors, whatever those might legally be, a probiotic, carrageenan, sodium citrate and maltic acid for balance. The Liberte, which is one of a few I choose has milk and bacteria cultures only and which I believe is a healthier product.

Why are you looking to reduce your sugars? I ask because for all intents and purposes the body see's oats and blueberries as basically different forms of sugars. Also all the other things you want to add are basically just replacements for sugar. Are you diabetic or insulin resistant or are you looking to just reduce some sugar in your diet, just curious. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I like blackstrap molasses, just a bit, in my oatmeal. Yes, it's "sugar", but if you look at a good brand, you'll find it can bring meaningful amounts of natural micronutrients into the day. The brand I prefer (Wholesome) has 117mg calcium (10% DV), 3mg iron (15%), 395mg potassium (8%), 0.1mg B-6 (6%), 42mg magnesium (10%) in a tablespoon, for 60 calories.

To me, that's not "empty calories", and personally I prefer eating something like that than the non-caloric sweeteners (which taste "off" to me). YMMV.

Before I started using that, I used a 30-calorie tablespoon of all-fruit spread. (I like Bionaturae brand, which is not cheap but is very fruit-intense. It does have "added sugar" in the form of a bit of concentrated apple juice, not even the first (biggest) ingredient on the ingredient list.

This idea may not work conceptually for others, but I think more about getting nutrition (and tastiness) for my calories, not just about cutting the calories wherever possible. Again, YMMV.

Best wishes!

I've been buying Wholesome Sweeteners blackstrap molasses online for years, and for years there's been an issue with the seals on the bottle. I wrote to the company directly and never heard back. I've mentioned this in reviews on iherb and Amazon. I get refunds from Amazon whenever this happens. I wash off the molasses and use the opened bottle first. I'd happily take a partial refund but they don't do that.

cqnwtt65t11d.jpeg

You can't get a refund through the automated process - you have to talk to customer service or the bot.

Huh, the iron count used to be 20% but I see it is indeed 15% now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

I see your new brand of yogurt is fat-free. Try full fat with blueberries. Cabot full fat plain is quite tasty IMO, especially with fruit added.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited March 11
    Options
    Liberté makes plain Greek with at the very least 0%, 2%, and 5% options based on what I run into.

The 0% plain sells out first. Always sad when I have to decide to get the 2% Greek or the lactose free 0% Greek version when the 0% plain is out.

Brands do have subtle differences between them. I enjoy oikos, liberté, PC (president choice), and even Kirkland 0% Greek plain almost equally. Some other national brands I find almost inedible
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,241 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I see your new brand of yogurt is fat-free. Try full fat with blueberries. Cabot full fat plain is quite tasty IMO, especially with fruit added.

Good catch! For sure I use 4% most of the times, and occasionally 2% lowfat, but never non-fat. It does taste better in my opinion. All I usually add is oats and either cacao nibs, raisins, or chopped apple. I usually just use rolled oats and let it sit for an hour to absorb moisture. I bought steel cut oats again for another experiment, and if I mix it up the night before or two days before, it does eventually soften some and gets a slightly sweet flavor.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Liberté makes plain Greek with at the very least 0%, 2%, and 5% options based on what I run into.

The 0% plain sells out first. Always sad when I have to decide to get the 2% Greek or the lactose free 0% Greek version when the 0% plain is out.

Brands do have subtle differences between them. I enjoy oikos, liberté, PC (president choice), and even Kirkland 0% Greek plain almost equally. Some other national brands I find almost inedible

They also make an 8% in Canada, which is the one I buy. they also make what's called Liberte Mediterranee that's 10% which I also buy and I buy just the plain then normally I'll add blueberries and/or blackberries.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Do you like protein powder? Mix some flavoured powder in with the yoghurt (chocolate, banana, strawberry…) I find it too sweet personally but if you’re after flavour and sweetness it will do it.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I mix PB Fit Peanut Butter protein powder into my greek yogurt (I use the non-fat Kirkland brand) and either a little bit of granola or some mini chocolate chips. I use 32 g protein powder to 75 g yogurt, so I need to thin it with water a little to use as an apple dip.

This morning I used just the protein powder/yogurt mix (half of what I usually use for apple dip) as a spread on my bagel instead of cream cheese and it was AWESOME. Don't know why I didn't think of this before. It added 10g of protein for only 10 calories more than what I usually have with 2 tbsp reduced fat cream cheese.

The protein powder I use does have added sugar, but I don't care for the taste of artificial sweeteners and this combo keeps me at the 100% happiness rating. I have the apple dip version most nights and I look forward to it all day.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 11
    Options

Re low cal-
    If you buy frozen blueberries or cherries… let a 1/3 cup defrost and mix in- include the juice, it will sweeten it up if you don’t like the taste of plain.

Adds about 45 cals.

Also- have you tried different types of yogurts? Try some vanilla bean innit as well. Less than 5 cals.

Try frozen raspberries. These break up nicely when you stir them in. I add a half packet of Truvia sweetener also.

Different yogurt brands might help. I think Fage is less tart than some others.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Best wishes!

I've been buying Wholesome Sweeteners blackstrap molasses online for years, and for years there's been an issue with the seals on the bottle. I wrote to the company directly and never heard back. I've mentioned this in reviews on iherb and Amazon. I get refunds from Amazon whenever this happens. I wash off the molasses and use the opened bottle first. I'd happily take a partial refund but they don't do that.
    (snip photo for reply length)
    With apologies to OP for the digression: @kshama2001, I buy my Wholesome brand molasses locally (health-food-ish places, either a local outfit or Whole Foods). I can't recall ever having a problem with the seals. (I've been eating this so long I might've forgotten a rare instance, admittedly. But super rare, at most.) That makes me think something about the Amazon shipping is too rough for the seals, FWIW.

• frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have 125g of full fat greek yoghurt most days for breakfast and I add 30g of a different dried fruit each day like mango, pineapple, raisins, sultanas, dates, apricot, prunes, cranberry and figs. If you leave it a little while the fruit rehydrates itself a bit. I like having the choice of a different "flavour" and the dried fruits avoid food waste compared with getting fresh.