Can't stop eating!

Options
Hi everyone .. I am relatively new to this site. I have struggled with my weight in the past few years (I had an ideal body 4 years ago and I have since put on about 45 pounds). I know how to eat really healthy, and I actually enjoy healthy foods. But recently I have not been able to stop eating junk .. pretty much everyday for the past week I have had some sort of candy or chocolate, or both (literally hundreds of calories worth). And, with all of the Easter candy around it is especially tempting.

Does anyone have any tips to psych me out of eating all of this crap? I'm not happy when I eat it .. I do it and I regret it right away. I think it is sabotaging how successful I could be, because otherwise my eating is great.

Any tips??

Replies

• jennaxo
    jennaxo Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi everyone .. I am relatively new to this site. I have struggled with my weight in the past few years (I had an ideal body 4 years ago and I have since put on about 45 pounds). I know how to eat really healthy, and I actually enjoy healthy foods. But recently I have not been able to stop eating junk .. pretty much everyday for the past week I have had some sort of candy or chocolate, or both (literally hundreds of calories worth). And, with all of the Easter candy around it is especially tempting.

Does anyone have any tips to psych me out of eating all of this crap? I'm not happy when I eat it .. I do it and I regret it right away. I think it is sabotaging how successful I could be, because otherwise my eating is great.

Any tips??
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    best tip for me is get naked and stand in front of full length mirror......if you dont like what you see...why eat more junk?
  • Noday543
    Noday543 Posts: 15
    Options
    I feel the same way!!! I am trying to learn how to control myself right now... ist hard when there is so much bad food around you that tastes so good! Let me know if you find anything that is helpful and i will do the same!!!
  • verifire
    verifire Posts: 44
    Options
    meet yourself halfway. incorporate some less lethal sweets into your healthy eating. i am always tempted to go for one extreme or the other -- all healthy, or all crappy. but i strike the best balance when i let them blend a little with substitutes for sweets like dark chocolate, light ice cream, italian ice, whole wheat muffins made with honey, etc.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Best Tip- Don't eat it if you can't stop when you start- Until you can get your self control/ willpower in order don't touch it- Chew gum instead.
  • CandCMommy
    Options
    I am a junk food junkie too. And I TOTALLY feel like you do....I want it until I've had it, and then I'm unhappy that I caved.

For me, I think that junk food is addictive.....I have tried to replace candy (or whatever) with healthier options (for a few days) until the addiction isn't pulling me toward that kind of food as strongly.

Also, it really helps me to control the portion so that I can still have some of those foods without the guilt.

Good luck...it's so hard. I keep trying to remind myself that summer is coming very quickly too. ;)
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    i tell myself--i've worked so hard to get to this point, why wreck it?--

but to be completely honest, i don't always follow my own advice. sometimes i just don't feel like using the willpower.
    i am beginning to see, though, that the mental aspect is crucial. when i have the drive, the commitment it's much easier for me to not eat the junk. and when i don't have it, i have to push myself in my head to keep to the plan and i know i'll feel better about myself for not giving in.
    hth
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Oh Yeah one more thing- When you start working out and really look at how long you have to push yourself to burn off that piece of cake it won't look so good- --
  • highlighters
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through this, whatever the cause (known or not). I experience times like this, and you know its bad when you wake up the next morning and you still feel full. Depending on what's causing it, you could try a diversion jar. List activities you could do instead of eating, things to distract yourself and keep you away from reaching for the food, whatever you're doing. It could include things to just get you up, like a few push-ups or a walk around the block, or something else, things that you have wanted to do but put off with various excuses. Of course, making the list and the papers with the diversions will require commitment just for that, and you may not be in a place mentally where you could even commit to the diversions... Otherwise, I might suggest finding someone in real time to talk to (if the boards here don't help). Someone with whom you could be brutally honest.

I wish you well, this might not help but you aren't alone. and Dave198's tip doesn't work for me, lol, but it might work for you!! it just drives me to the food!! :laugh: walking or a punching bag work for me, too. best wishes!
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    best tip for me is get naked and stand in front of full length mirror......if you dont like what you see...why eat more junk?

Thats my motivation every time I want to quit
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    ok now I'll never eat ever again:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Any tips??

You have to get to the point where you realize food is not that important that we have to keep over indulging while not being satisfied with how we look and feel. Eat a reasonable amount of candy one portion and move on find somethng to occupy your hands and time. Also dont keep that stuff around. Gotta think of food as fuel and other things as rewards.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

hey so many people want some simple magic formula to quit eating junk...IT IS NOT EASY....it takes will power and sacrifice....you want easy? then you will be fat....simple as that
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options

hey so many people want some simple magic formula to quit eating junk...IT IS NOT EASY....it takes will power and sacrifice....you want easy? then you will be fat....simple as that
    my bad bro ..................just having a little fun
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Dave's right-- bottom line-- do or do not, there is no try.
  • ilovepink
    Options
    You can't eat what's not there. Get rid of the junk food in your house! Create an environment that supports your goals instead of hindering your goals.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

my bad bro ..................just having a little fun

I know John but all these same old same old...we need to accept that it isnt easy to quit eating crap and it is tough but once you get over it...you are better off...all this molly coddeling seems nice and sweet but it isnt the answer,,,,,get tough with yourself...get naked....get motivated....
    peace
  • daisylou
    daisylou Posts: 118
    Options
    for me it has been this site. When you have to log EVERYTHING you eat, you can't believe how many calories you were eating. Maybe try logging what you eat now, candy and all just to see how much you are eating. Good luck!
  • daisylou
    daisylou Posts: 118
    Options
    did I say eating enough?ha-ha
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I personally get this way around my TOM, so I have weight watchers brownies and Hersheys Sugar free syrup and I also always have skinny cow mint ice cream sandwhiches in the freezer. I snack on them yes, but never go over board. I can have 1 brownie and a glass of chocolate milk for the same cals as a candy bar.....or some cookies even. I can have a skinny cow for 140 cals....You have to make the choice. I am officially on my 2nd month here in 4 days. It will get easier I promise. Stick with it.

:flowerforyou: