Anyone close to 50 or over 50 seeing fab results? Send my wa

Options
BEFORE AND AFTER PICS OF YOUR RESULTS PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE!!

My mom and I are trying to lose weight but she is so discouraged because she is 50 and she is always using the excuse that she's older then me but I keep telling her that I see people her age on mfp that are losing all the time.. Of course when I try to look for some people I can't find any LOL but I know you are out there and frankly I don't have THAT much time to go through profiles haha

any help you can give me to motivate my mom would be great .. I'm tired of the age excuses...

Also, she does work out with a trainer and she has been for a while... the trainer doesn't have her eating very much and she goes nuts at the gym (she is very strong) but she hasn't been losing weight..... I think she needs to eat more than 1200-1300 calories.. How many calories did you eat? Thanks!

Replies

• southtowngirl
    southtowngirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 pounds since mid-May. No pics yet though. She can do it. It's tough, but do-able. (I'm 50).
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, started this at 54. I figured it was to late for me to lose weight. I lost 12 lbs. before starting, so totally now I have lost 55 lbs. It was easy when I was motivated, now I am just maintaining I did no exercise except gardening (heavy duty clearing land etc..)
    I ate 1200 cal. If your mom "friends" me she can see my food diary, but she should go back to Jan through May when I was really applying myself. My hips went from 51 to 42, my waist 41 to 32. My bust got perky with an underwire bra LOL
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls, shes not on mfp... not very good with the computers and lives on a farm where the internet is really sloowww.. But I will send her some of your responses to help motivate her...
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Before:

6192633124_f7f48fa5ef.jpg
    me-2 by blmarvin, on Flickr

After:

6162495889_4b662c0a02.jpg
    IMAG0059 by blmarvin, on Flickr

I'm 52. I've lost 60 lbs. in total since Nov. 2010. I eat 1400 to 1600 calories a day, as healthy as I can. I use the treadmill, eliptical, stationary bike, bicycle, walk and jog usually a total of about 4 - 5 hours of exercise a week.

Tell your mom she can do it! And Good Luck!
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 two days ago...and I just reached 100 pounds lost over the past year and a half or so!! I don't really have a recent picture posted...my profile pic was taken back in January and I have lost a lot more since then!!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Great job gentlemen!! Looking great!!!
  • southtowngirl
    southtowngirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to remind her this is a long-term thing. If she can lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week over the long haul it will all add up. I was discouraged the weeks I lost under a 1/2 pound but suddenly (well not so suddenly) here I am at 27 pounds lost (and only five more to go!)

She doesnt have to do the gym thing, but incorporate some excercise, even just walking briskly around the farm, and keep a *very accurate* food diary / calorie count.
  • Tink555
    Options
    I'm 51 and lost 51 pounds! My pic. shows the before and after (so far!):happy:
  • JThomas61
    Options
    I am 50 and lost 75 pounds....so far. My goal weight is 160 for a grand total of 88 pounds. It can be done, in fact I am more physically fit than when I was 25, I run 5 miles every other day, do P90X on a regular basis and just completed a 102.6 my bicycle endurance race last month in 7 hours 9 minutes.

Here is my story.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332275-75-pounds-lost-in-8-months-with-pics
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and I reached my goal (24 lbs and 2 dress sizes lost) and have set a new goal to lose 8 more lbs. I don't post pics of myself on public sites though, so can't help you there. Most of my success I credit to Zumba because it's a real calorie burner yet fun enough to keep me doing it 6 days a week.

Saying you are too old is an excuse and it's really hard to reach a goal with excuses. She can do it.
  • Texas_Nana
    Texas_Nana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 (and fabulous) in March 2012!

Friend me!
  • nilroctarp
    Options
    Puggleperson: I'm a 53 year old male. I've lost 56 lbs in the last 4 months. I probably eat less than most MFP posters. I will not debate the merits of eating more than that with the scientific community or those numerous MFP'ers that stridently believe calorie intake needs to be more than that. i am simply telling you what works for me based upon my experiance only. Around 1100-1300 calories a day is my intake. Low fat and low carbs. i exercise most everyday. i shoot to burn off 600 calories a day.

Your mom can suceed and does not have to use MFP. i am a great believer in journalizing calories in and calorie out however. this is not my first rodeo unfortunately. i have lost over 100 pounds a couple to times before in my life. i am one heck of a great weight loser. i am equally as horrible at weight maintainance. i suck in fact. i did those sucessful three digit diets with handwritten journals. MFP is just a new fangled way to do the same thing that i have done ever since Hector was a pup. so, if your mom is not into computers, help her set up a day-timer, diary or calendar (whichever form works best) which will allow her to do on paper what we are doing on this site. hope this helps and does not wrinkle feathers. tell your mom to hang in there and best of luck.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and lost 15 pounds last year, and another 28 this year. I usually run 2-3 miles 3x a week and I lift weights a couple of times a week. The weight has come off very, VERY slowly, and I've been tempted to give up from time to time, but let me tell you/her...it CAN be done. NEVER give up. Before I started, I was a size 12 and now I am a size 4/5. I feel a thousand times better now two years ago.

And...today was my 270th day in a row of logging into MFP!
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am 58, male and tall. I have lost 23 lb in the last 3 months and am shooting for 17 more in the next two months. I eat about 1500 cals/day and average 600 cals/day exercise. I don't lose weight as quickly as when I was younger, but I'm looking to MFP to help me maintain near my goal weight of 187. My wife tells me it is difficult for women in their fifties to lose weight, and I believe her. However, I bet it's easy for them to gain weight, so weight management is still a good idea. Best of luck,
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 two weeks ago. I've been able to make significant changes in my body shape. It is a little harder, but it's not impossible.

I would post a pic, but photo-bucket hasn't let me do that for weeks. So frustrating!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I turned 54 in April. My profile is open. Please check out my story on my profile page. I also put my old 205 pound picture of me (purple shirt) before I turned 50 on my profile pictures. I only started just before I turned 50, lost 53 pounds, slacked for a couple of years, put back on 18 pounds, and then started up again this February at 170 pounds, I think (at age 53). Down to 142 today! My most important tip? DO NOT GIVE UP! That has made a world of difference for me. FYI: my 82 year old dad broke his shoulder on Sept. 3, so I have been sketchy here on MFP, but still doing the work as best I can while taking care of my dad full time in my house. I am 7 pounds away from my goal of 135. I do eat most of my exercise calories although in this past month do not have the time to log everything. When My dad gets well enough to go home I'll have more time to log in everything again. I really believe it is important. When My OB/GYN found out I lost the 53 pounds while going through menopause she practically jumped up on a chair to applaud me. She told me ALMOST ALL women will gain 10 pounds JUST going through menopause and it is very difficult to lose weight at that time. It doesn't mean it is impossible, just difficult. It takes time and perseverance. Your mom can do it if she refuses to quit and takes responsibility with healthy eating, sensible exercising (I only walk the dog twice a day! and do a video at home for 15 to 30 minutes if I have time which I don't do the video at this time). Persistence WILL get her the results she is looking for! Good luck. Please friend me if you like!
    Good luck to you and your mom, you can both do it!! = D
    Susan
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 48 and have lost 40 pounds...well up one this week...ha ha...but really I have about 29 more to go and MFP has been a terrific tool! It doesn't DO the WORK, but it is a great tool. Friend me to view pics of me. Tell your mom SHE CAN DO IT, but SHE HAS TO WANT TO.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and have been using MFP since April. I've lost 22 lbs, and am now about 116 lbs. I have eaten my exercise calories - or almost all of them - every single day, and couldn't cope if I had to exercise a lot on 1200 calories. I do accept that other people have had good results by not eating those extra calories - but I just get so hungry! I reckon that if I'm going to lose with eating more than the minimum, I might as well! Maybe it depends on your starting weight and your ultimate goals.
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm 59, weighed196lbs on 1st Feb, I weigh 139lbs today. I have beaten borderline Rheumatoid Arthritis and high(ish) blood pressure. It hasn't been easy, it takes a lot of commitment but it is definitely DO-ABLE and it can be fun! What I have done is be consistent in logging my food on MFP, walking 6 days a week around my local park, building up my distance slowly at the start and now I just love to get out walking! I walk maybe 3.5 to 5 miles a day, depending on time. If I get the time at weekends, I do longer walks with a small rambling group. I don't have wonderful pics but there are some on my profile, taken along the way. Also, I have got a lot of support and laughs from MFPers. Please let your mum know it is do-able and if she wants, she can add me as a friend when she gets started. Hope you both do well! Good Luck!
    ps Here's a link to the page for Women 50+ group...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332310-women-ages-50-for-september?hl=women+50++for+september&page=17#posts-4779299
    There will be a new link for October soon but she will find the link there.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 55 and have been on MFP about 70 days now. In that time, I've lost 10 pounds. Logging your meals really DOES make a difference! Best wishes to both you and your mom. : )
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!