How do you remind yourself to move more while at a desk all day???

Options
AdahPotatah2024
AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 965 Member
edited March 12 in Health and Weight Loss
I tried setting a timer, but then ignore it when I get busy with emails, etc..

Replies

• AdahPotatah2024
    edited March 12
    Options
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    Thank you!:) I'm pretty much leashed to my computer with a soft phone all day, but I can walk around on breaks. That's what I need to do, get in a habit of keeping track of the time! I'm going to try to get through this workout every 2 hours today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxw0fNNZQTY
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,617 Member
    Options
    Are you at an office? Presumably your soft phone is connected to a wired headset. There are a lot of not very expensive wireless headsets available to connect to a computer and soft phone

More expensive would be standing desk

More adventuresome standing desk and treadmill
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm fanatical about actually taking my breaks, and walking on them, plus at lunch. It's become a habit, so I get twitchy if I'm late for break. I set an alarm for lunch. Our cafeteria has limited hours, so putting it off is not an option if I want to eat there.

Between that and normal moving around, my fitbit clocks about 3 miles per day at work. One more walk with my partner and cat after work, and I hit 10,000 steps.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
  • AdahPotatah2024
    edited March 13
    Options
    @PAV8888 I work from home.
    I have a makeshift standing desk(over my regular desk)that I made from one of those hospital like bedside tables...
    and then I have an office chair that is raised that I use with a step stool for my feet. That way when I sit down, I don't have to move the screen.
    I have really been working on this!
    I have an under desk elliptical, but haven't been using since I'm still slightly uncomfortable after falling on my tailbone last month.
    I have to use the company's headset, but I did buy an extension so I can walk back and forth to my coffee maker! 😋
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I have to use the company's headset

Are you on video so people can see you're not using the "approved" one?
    What type of plug(s) are you using to connect to your workstation?
    Bluetooth based 3.5mm receiver transmitters definitely exist as do USB audio cards that provide line out/mic in plugs.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I have to use the company's headset

Are you on video so people can see you're not using the "approved" one?
    What type of plug(s) are you using to connect to your workstation?
    Bluetooth based 3.5mm receiver transmitters definitely exist.
  • andyhood834
    andyhood834 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a wireless headset and walk around my office on calls, unless it’s a video call. I use the toilets at the far end of the building and make sure I go and talk to people rather than calling them. I also use a sit stand desk which helps a little bit.
    I’m fortunate to have a private office so don’t have to explain any of my weird habits. I park on the road a ten minute walk from the office so get a ten minute walk at the start and end of the day.

There is always a way to get more active, but you might need to be a bit creative and not afraid to be a bit unorthodox in the office. Hi I worked in a call centre I was often the only one standing and moving around on a wired headset and mostly getting in peoples way. But hey it helped me get some more steps in.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    Thanks, i hadn't really thought about a wireless headset. I'll have to try one! I'm mostly needing to be on the computer during calls,anyway. It would be nice not to feel chained to it, though. 😊

I'm doing better sticking to about 20-30 minutes sitting down, 8 minutes standing up, and 2 minutes Denise Austin workout. I like her 5 or 8 minute videos. It makes me feel like I accomplished something every hour or two!

And can you believe she is over 65 years old!?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i hadn't really thought about a wireless headset. I'll have to try one! I'm mostly needing to be on the computer during calls,anyway. It would be nice not to feel chained to it, though. 😊

I'm doing better sticking to about 20-30 minutes sitting down, 8 minutes standing up, and 2 minutes Denise Austin workout. I like her 5 or 8 minute videos. It makes me feel like I accomplished something every hour or two!

And can you believe she is over 65 years old!?

OMG, I had Denise Austin videos for my VCR back in the 90s! Is she still going on about the "fat burning zone?" :lol:
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    @kshama2001 I haven't heard about the fat burning zone in her latest videos!:D
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water so I have to get up frequently to use the bathroom. When the weather is cooperative, there's an exterior door right near the bathroom, so I exit and walk around the building to come back into my office. When I sit too long my back aches!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I drink as much water as I can. This increases the number of times I need to get up to go to the bathroom and to get more water.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    Good idea! I've been trying to drink water instead of coffee all day, and am feeling a lot better.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I never sit in one position for long. Cross legged, one leg on chair, chair otherway around, one leg on table (don't ask). But more seriously, I exercise after work on 4-5 days per week. Gives me plenty of exercise and movement. Plus I live in Europe and walk or cycle to most errands.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Sit/stand desk?
    Desk treadmill?
    Lunch break walk?
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My department owns the whole floor so we have multiple printers scattered around. I print to one in a different room and don't let anyone bring it to me, so I have to take a small walk to go get my stuff.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I book a lunch time yoga class or SoulCycle a few blocks away ..