Can you eat any sugar free sweets.

Options
Hi? I’m Kerry! I was wondering is there any throat sweats or sugar free sweets I can suck on while fasting. Reason I’m asking as I have bad acid reflux and need to suck on soothers and drink water when I go to bed! It’s a real struggle to fall over asleep. I constantly cough when go to my bed and need to try sleep raised up. Any advice will be be greatly appreciated x

Answers

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Your gastroesophageal reflux is more important than whether or not it breaks your fast. Fasting is meaningless and really does nothing more than help you be in a calorie deficit. Gastroesophageal reflux bad enough it's causing you to cough can cause throat cancer. My grandpa had that happen, had surgery and radiation, and was never able to eat solid food again until he died. Do what you need to do to control it. But yes, there are a whole variety of sugar free hard candies available at the store or on Amazon.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I had the GERD From Hell. I honestly thought I would choke and die in my sleep, and that kept me awake.

I can at least confirm there is light at the end of the tunnel.

With my first 20-30 pounds lost, my GERD disappeared completely.

I’ve had maybe three or four mild recurrences, which I take as a reminder from the Gods of Digestion to stay the course and not put any of the weight back on again.

Hugs to you, my friend. But not too tight. Because that can cause reflux. 😘
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    You need to do for your health what works best for you. Forget any fasts if it makes you miserable. On that note, some people with reflux do benefit from more smaller meals across the day instead of eating a lot within a small eating window. Do what works for you.