Need more protein

Options
There are tons of powder and liquid supplements but many contain a ton of salt. Looking for a recommendation. I’m about 21 grams shy of my goal regularly. Thanks.

Best Answers

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 971 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Meat! :)
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I nearly daily add Jarrow Unflavored Whey Protein and/or Anthony's Nutritional Yeast Flakes to my breakfast oats for a protein and misc nutrients boost. Both are very low sodium. I sometimes use 365 Organic Pea Protein Powder rather than the whey, but it has a bit more sodium (240mg vs. 50mg) per scoop. The whey is about 18g per scoop, the yeast about 8g per 2 tbsp, and the pea abt 15g per scoop. I also use the whey in other dishes, including baked bread. I've tried the yeast in some sauces, with OK results.

Answers

• fabnikita
    fabnikita Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ha ha. You’re right. Thank you. After searching the community (which I should have done first🤔)! I also found a budget friendly 11lbs bag of Whey protein isolate with really good nutritional content. It gets me the 20g I need to close my daily protein gap.

Went to Myprotein.com. Should last me a minimum over 3.5 months. Seems a reasonable price considering one organic 5lbs whole chicken sets me back $20 per week—not including time spent preparing,cooking and removing all the flesh to store it. Cheers! vxs1htitw22q.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you aiming for, and what are your current stats? What kind of exercise are you doing? It's possible you're already getting plenty protein. If you're very heavy then the numbers for protein given here can be very exaggerated. Also some trainers seem to think 200gr protein is a must.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Whey powder is high in sodium? Checking the Optimum Nutrition Gold info now, 31 grams, 120 calories, 24 grams protein, 130mg sodium 6% of daily value.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,899 Member
    Options
    Cut back on drive thru's and gooey carbs and you can consume all the protein powder your arteries can take. :#
  • fabnikita
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    How much protein are you aiming for, and what are your current stats? What kind of exercise are you doing? It's possible you're already getting plenty protein. If you're very heavy then the numbers for protein given here can be very exaggerated. Also some trainers seem to think 200gr protein is a must.
    Need 80g per day. Regularly miss that mark by 20g. Workout 6 days a week. Goal is to maintain weight which is in the normal range for my height and weight. Wow 200 is quite a lot!

• fabnikita
    Options
    Cut back on drive thru's and gooey carbs and you can consume all the protein powder your arteries can take. :#
    Haven’t partaken in many years. Clean eating for me. I only get .25 tsp of sodium a day, so I’m trying to find a solution that will compliment my eating habits.
  • fabnikita
    Options
    Whey powder is high in sodium? Checking the Optimum Nutrition Gold info now, 31 grams, 120 calories, 24 grams protein, 130mg sodium 6% of daily value.
    Yeah, for me that’s high. To fit into my eating regime it’s got to me under the 50 g range.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    fabnikita wrote: »
    Yeah, for me that’s high. To fit into my eating regime it’s got to me under the 50 g range.
    Because other things you eat are high in sodium, or you have a very low target? Because that is far less sodium than a can of tuna, for example.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,899 Member
    edited March 16
    Options
    Haven’t partaken in many years. Clean eating for me. I only get .25 tsp of sodium a day, so I’m trying to find a solution that will compliment my eating habits.

What are your eating habits that only facilitates 59g's of protein and has too much sodium, whole foods don't have much. Reduce some of that plant food and eat some meat, which virtually has no sodium/salt and to increase your protein macro and it'll also allow more overall nutrients into your diet and as a bonus you don't have to eat powder which I can assure you, is not as appetizing. imo
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited March 16
    Options

Hmm, you'd measure SALT by teaspoons, not sodium. Since salt also contains chloride, it's not 1:1 to sodium.

Sodium grams x 2.5 = Salt grams

What's your sodium goal in grams?

https://www.pid-labelling.co.uk/convert-sodium-salt-food-label/#:~:text=Basically Sodium x 2.5 = Salt&text=Salt is Sodium Chloride at,58.45 divided by 22.99 = 2.542
  • fabnikita
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hmm, you'd measure SALT by teaspoons, not sodium. Since salt also contains chloride, it's not 1:1 to sodium.

Sodium grams x 2.5 = Salt grams

What's your sodium goal in grams?

https://www.pid-labelling.co.uk/convert-sodium-salt-food-label/#:~:text=Basically Sodium x 2.5 = Salt&text=Salt is Sodium Chloride at,58.45 divided by 22.99 = 2.542

I meant .25 tsp of salt. Added amount. The other salt is naturally occurring in the other foods I eat. Total goal is 2,000mg/day.