What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    Brisket in a Korean marinade cooked sous vide and browned in the air fryer. Sauteed spinach, beansprout namul, brown rice.
    ovvolo9er3x3.jpeg
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    bqo6ynsgw4mo.jpeg
    First time using an air fryer! Chicken chunks from Costco (they are better than I thought they’d be!)
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch :smile:

🍺 8 greens shake with açaí and blueberries 🫐

🥘 In a spring mood so made - Frittata Primavera 🌱
    •Eggs, Orange bell pepper, shallots, spinach, sweet pea greens, nutritional yeast, flaxseed. Herbs.

86ttuv7bxvcr.jpeg

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch :smile:

🍺 8 greens shake with açaí and blueberries 🫐

🥘 In a spring mood so made - Frittata Primavera 🌱
    •Eggs, Orange bell pepper, shallots, spinach, sweet pea greens, nutritional yeast, flaxseed. Herbs.

86ttuv7bxvcr.jpeg

like that frittata!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Duck confit cooked a few months ago sous vide, pulled out of the freezer and finished in the air fryer with roast carrot and daikon. Failed potato terrine. Sauteed green beans.
    cfgdmbjyas3q.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Friday we eat out as the hubby finds it makes the weekend feel longer. We went to an Italian small sharing plates place. At the restaurant we had a successfully constructed potato terrine. It tasted like a dry gratin dauphinoise containing a lot more butter than my failed attempt last night. I will try to make this again using a different recipe but it won't break my heart if I don't succeed.
    avrd1g36o1a9.jpeg
    bfjs4afbwthc.jpeg
    it2c10ywf5r5.jpeg
    jfhlq55b0xom.jpeg
    6wowgkor56nz.jpeg
    qe12tmvqeuq9.jpeg

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 467 Member
    edited March 16
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @takinitalloff
    @annstebbing

A way I've been enjoying lentils lately is cooked with rice. It took me a while to get the timing right so they'd be done at the same time and the lentils not turned to mush.

I use short grain brown rice. I add all the cooking water for both into a pot and get it boiling with a pinch of salt. I add the brown rice, put on the lid, turn it down, and set the timer for about 20 minutes. When the timer rings, I add the lentils, stir them in, put the lid back on, and cook for another 20 minutes. I turn off the heat and let it sit another five minutes.

Done and delicious.

@mtaratoot ~ How do you calculate liquid for the lentils. Assumed rice was 2 part water to 1 part rice.
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    Lucky Lime 🦪 oysters from Prince Edward Island.

My husband bought a shucking knife and now we have them at home all the time!

whn0eqf7z8k6.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    @EpochAhead

Mejadra is a fancy rice with lentils recipe but the ratio for water to lentils and rice should be correct.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/09/mejadra-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi
  • acpgee
    Options
    The easy way to do Mejadra is to skip frying the onion and using ready made store bought deep fried onion. The kind Americans use in Thanksgiving green bean casserole.
  • Adventurista
    edited March 16
    Options
    Ty @acpgee
    I generally add lentils in on a broth soup cook, so have not tried to cook and end without excess moisture.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    EpochAhead wrote: »
    @takinitalloff
    @annstebbing

A way I've been enjoying lentils lately is cooked with rice. It took me a while to get the timing right so they'd be done at the same time and the lentils not turned to mush.

I use short grain brown rice. I add all the cooking water for both into a pot and get it boiling with a pinch of salt. I add the brown rice, put on the lid, turn it down, and set the timer for about 20 minutes. When the timer rings, I add the lentils, stir them in, put the lid back on, and cook for another 20 minutes. I turn off the heat and let it sit another five minutes.

Done and delicious.

@mtaratoot ~ How do you calculate liquid for the lentils. Assumed rice was 2 part water to 1 part rice.

I usually do 3:2 water to rice for brown rice. I sometimes add just a bit more if it's a very small batch. Then I figure 2:1water to lentils. So if I use a half cup rice (two servings) and a half cup lentils, I use 1.75 cups of water. If I have a lot of calories left, I'll make that much. Otherwise I can do a one-serving batch with a quarter cup of rice, quarter cup of lentils, and ... A bit less than a cup of water. I would do myself a favor if I used my scale to measure the water. I prefer to make the two-serving batch anyway.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    EpochAhead wrote: »
    @takinitalloff
    @annstebbing

Done and delicious.

I usually do 3:2 water to rice for brown rice. I sometimes add just a bit more if it's a very small batch. Then I figure 2:1water to lentils. So if I use a half cup rice (two servings) and a half cup lentils, I use 1.75 cups of water. If I have a lot of calories left, I'll make that much. Otherwise I can do a one-serving batch with a quarter cup of rice, quarter cup of lentils, and ... A bit less than a cup of water. I would do myself a favor if I used my scale to measure the water. I prefer to make the two-serving batch anyway.

I"ve got a little alarmed recently when I learned that a lot of southern US rice has arensic from previous generations' farming practices. One way to reduce the arsenic in what we eat is to use the "excess water" method. Don't bother to finely measure the water, as long as you use "too much." Cook the rice, then drain it. That's what I had been doing the last couple of months. Brown rice - which we use mostly - has more of the arensic on the outer coating (which white rice has removed).

What this has meant for me since, is the obvious - complex rice dishes are the results of combining when cooked, rather than cooking together. Also, a lot of the nutrients from the brown coating go down the drain, too.

I have recently been trying out another method, supposedly good for reducing a major percentage of the arensic with less loss of nutrients ... parboil the rice in already-boiling water for about 5 minutes, then drain and rinse, then proceed to cook as normal in simmering fresh water till done and water absorbed. So far, I've only done this with plain rice dishes, nothing composite.

• takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,852 Member
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC omg how cute are those macarons. I hope they tasted as amazing as they look.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Batch cooked Marcella Hazan's bolognese and sausage ragu. For dinner we had some lasagna cupcakes made with the pasta sauces along with roast courgette.
    911vhi7v0jrr.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC omg how cute are those macarons. I hope they tasted as amazing as they look.

The blueberry 🫐 was great! The margarita was cute haha 😆
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    Just some plain ol poached fish. 🐠

Branzino and Black Sea Bass livened up with lemon and za’atar and sumac.

8v4w74o4ka9e.jpeg

• Adventurista
    edited March 17
    Options
    Ty @mtaratoot , that helps for liquid and cook times. I will do some exploring with combo rice and lentils.

@mjbnj0001 ~ that is alarming, and noteworthy. I can see the reasoning to do a partial cook with excess liquid, rinse then finish with fresh liquid.

I have enjoyed soups and salads with brown or green lentils. Thought the small reds disappear into any combo dishes.

Love wild rices, black rice, all rices really and was surprised awhile back to see USA rices. Sorrowful there are residual chemicals in the rice. Have sometimes wondered if that is true with other foods, and further, if 5 years break is enough when changing over to organic farming...

It has been eye opening the last decade as we learn more about the impact chemicals have on our foods. It has led to change in foods we buy, when possible.

ohpqc2hv025g.jpg

Convenience food dinner while traveling. Stopped at grocery for Rotisserie chicken, bag of salad, frozen green beans, instant mash taters. (Minifridge and microwave available in room.)