What creatine do you recommend for losing weight?

Options
I feel that I’m not consuming enough protein in my meals.

Best Answers

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,605 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I don't recommend it for weight loss. Creatine is primarily for muscle gain. Honestly, in most cases, unless you're into bodybuilding, it's really a waste of money.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,899 Member
    edited March 17 Answer ✓
    Options
    Creatine basically creates additional ATP, energy, to help lift better creating an environment for muscle building but it's still protein that actually builds muscle, not the creatine and intake of quality protein should represent anywhere from .7 to 1.2 g's per lb of lean mass or desired weight and getting at least 30g's in your meals spread rather evenly over the day is best for optimal muscle protein synthesis. You may increase some water weight but that is looked at as an increase in lean mass, which it isn't but that will fluctuate. In a deficit it will help preserve muscle by facilitating better performance and recovery. It's one of the few supps I use and I consume around 8g's a day but that is really dependent on how muscle a person has and a female around 120lbs would probably be closer to 5g's. Also creatine has been studied for a long time as it relates to the brain and there's positive effects for increased cognition, reduced mental fatigue, increases the brains metabolic energy which is kind of important for overall brain function and it's also been shown to be neuroprotective as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from being in a calorie deficit, not from a minimum protein intake.

Why do you think you're lacking protein intake? How much protein and how many calories are you consuming and what are your personal stats?
    And why do you think you need creatine specifically?

To be able to address the protein question, I would also like answers to the above.

As far as creatine goes, unnecessary for weight loss. And as that can cause water retention, as far as your scale is concerned you'll likely gain weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I do share others' background questions.

When people use some non-MFP macro calculator or formula to estimate protein needs, a common problem is to use a substantially-overweight current weight as the basis. They should use a reasonable, healthy goal weight as the basis. If they're not sure of goal weight, something from the middle to the top of the normal BMI range for their height would be fine to use.

We don't need boatloads of extra protein to maintain fat mass. It's for maintaining lean mass. If a person uses current very high weight to estimate protein needs, then tries to cut calories, they can find themselves unable to fit in that inflated protein amount.

If that's not the case for you, and it's just that you're not sure how to increase your protein intake, this thread may be helpful, in case you haven't seen it yet:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

As a transition aid, there is a supplement that can help, but it isn't creatine. It's protein powders or something similar. As long as you don't need to skip dairy for any reason, whey protein is complete (in essential amino acids), quite bioavailable, reasonably affordable, and neutral tasting in itself (mild milk taste, usually).

Creatine isn't needed or helpful for weight loss. It's complicated, some facets mentioned above, but it has to do with workout performance or recovery, usually associated with somewhat intense workouts. I take creatine. I didn't see any significant water weight gain when I started, but many people do.

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,112 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from being in a calorie deficit, not from a minimum protein intake.

Why do you think you're lacking protein intake? How much protein and how many calories are you consuming and what are your personal stats?
    And why do you think you need creatine specifically?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,950 Member
    Options
    ^^With all that said....supplements aren't regulated, so just buy one or go to Examine.com and do your research.

(Maybe try posting this in the Bodybuilding forum, https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/goal-gaining-weight
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited March 17
    Options
    It reads like OP meant to say protein in the title?

As others said, creatine is helpful and proven to aid with lifting. If that's not your focus, it's probably irrelevant. If you do need it, typically 5g/day, and any brand is probably fine.

OP doesn't think they're getting enough protein. More info is needed. Current weight and lifting much? Also what is the source of protein, specifically are you restricted to vegan options?
  • Donzzzzzz
    Donzzzzzz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel that I’m not consuming enough protein in my meals.

You are on myfitnesspal. Eat enough protein to meet your goal. There is no "feel". You are logging what you are eating.

Creatine is an amino acid, not a complete protein.
  • portexploits
    portexploits Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 18
    Options
    Protein intake varies on multiple factors. How intense do you work out? What type of workouts? Age, have any conditions? are you injured? etc...
    But in a general case, 1.6g - 2.4g of protein per kg of body weight.
    https://biolayne.com/articles/nutrition/protein-requirements-amount-timing-type/

I would use my ideal weight for this calculation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    It reads like OP meant to say protein in the title?

As others said, creatine is helpful and proven to aid with lifting. If that's not your focus, it's probably irrelevant. If you do need it, typically 5g/day, and any brand is probably fine.

OP doesn't think they're getting enough protein. More info is needed. Current weight and lifting much? Also what is the source of protein, specifically are you restricted to vegan options?

I thought you were on to something with the bolded, but the OP gave 4 posts an "Answered" and they all mentioned creatine...