can this be right? help

Options
ok so ive been with mfp since january and i havent lost any weight which is very frusterating. mfp tells me to eat 1200 cals day. i met with a personal trainer today and asked them why i wasnt loosing any weight. when i told them that i was eating 1200 cals a day they said theres my reason. this is because with the amount of excercise i do daily my body should be consuming way more calories to keep my body functiong correctly. he said that eating that low of calories was making my body believe it was starving itself, leading to me not loosing any weight. ive just heard so much information from so many people that i dunt kno what to do anymore. maybe im just made to be chubby? any advice anyone? thanks=]

Replies

• jessiemartin
    Options
    ok so ive been with mfp since january and i havent lost any weight which is very frusterating. mfp tells me to eat 1200 cals day. i met with a personal trainer today and asked them why i wasnt loosing any weight. when i told them that i was eating 1200 cals a day they said theres my reason. this is because with the amount of excercise i do daily my body should be consuming way more calories to keep my body functiong correctly. he said that eating that low of calories was making my body believe it was starving itself, leading to me not loosing any weight. ive just heard so much information from so many people that i dunt kno what to do anymore. maybe im just made to be chubby? any advice anyone? thanks=]
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    Are logging your exercise calories into MFP
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I think your trainer may be spot on... For many active women, 1200 is simply too low. You have only a small amount of weight to lose...

I had to up my cals to 1400 to get through a plateau... sometimes I eat a little more... I have lost almost 20 lbs since the first week of January.

Try it out for two weeks.
  • oxtere
    oxtere Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, that is right. MFP is telling you to eat WAY too few calories. 1200 calories plus intense workouts will send your body into starvation mode. In an effort to keep itself going, your body is stockpiling every single calorie you ingest. Also, if you're working out so much you are probably gaining muscle mass, which would cause you to lose inches but not drop many pounds.
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I agree...log your exerise and it will give you more calories on that day.
  • rach700
    rach700 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have heard the same thing. I think the calories that you should not go under is different for everyone. I had metabolic testing at my gym and I am not supposed to go under 1450 calories a day or I will go into starvation mode and hang on to the fat. I also found out that to stay the weight I am, I need 1875 calories. MFP says that I should be eating 1600 so I stick to that, but I haven't lost weight either.:sad:
  • turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you log in your workout calories you will eat more than 1200 calories, but it's like a new amount of calories. If you eat 1200, burn 1200 your not going to loose any weight. Your trainer is right!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    You aren't meant to be chubby thats a crock a horse poop- Sorry if that is too harsh- What are your goals set at?
    Are they set to lose 1 pound a week or 2 pounds a week

You must remember that MFP is "JUST" a guide you have to tweak your calories to your individual needs.
    If that means upping your calories more than what the site recommends than so be it-

Without me exercising I can't do 1200 calories a day

Me personally I eat between 1400-1600 calories a day (Mainly 1470-1500) and burn ATLEAST 500 calories before I leave the gym. I personally don't touch my exercise calories- My weight isn't coming off too fast or too slow its at a steady speed-

Find what is best for you- also are you using a heart rate monitor? That was the best purchase I have made- I can track exactly how many calories I am burning a week total at the gym not just daily workouts

Good luck
  • taylorgirl
    Options
    You're trainer is right! I have had a trainer since May of 2008; after losing a total of 46 lbs by November I was stuck for the next three months - not only did I not lose... I gained a pound. My trainer began to take a serious look at my diet verses my workout pattern, and together along with mfp discover that I was taking my body into a "stavation mode." Immediately, he reduced my workout from cardio to a fat burning zone, and increased my calories (especially my protein). In the mist of it I spranked my ankle and was unable to workout for one week and have been limited for the past 2 weeks! RESULTS - I lost 3 lbs finally reaching my 50+ lbs I've been trying to achieving since November! ! !

I recommend you get a heart monitor (Polar) and monitor your calories burn - and calories consumed! You'll see an immediate change. Good Going! ! !:blushing:
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I increased my calorie intake and tried to be consistant with it this week and I'm down an inch around my waist, your trainer maybe onto something. Give it a try you never know

I know you can do it :flowerforyou: