Just figured out exactly why I stopped losing weight.

Options
13»

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Yup, HRM is your best friend!
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Plus, if you are circuit training you get cardio as well as resistance training and burn mega calories. Have you ever done Jillian's Shred? I mean, I am dripping in sweat after 25 minutes. I am sure I burn at least 350 calories.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I was not eating ANYWHERE near enough. My diary may say otherwise, but I just bought myself a gift - a HRM - and even though everyone says MFP gives too many cals burned my hrm said I burned 250 cals in just my 15 min weights session so no wonder it stopped as i've been saying my whole session has been the same amount of cals i burn in 15 mins!!

gonna see what happens when i start eating more :)

Are you using a chest strap HRM? I love my HRM, people will have to pry it and my chest strap off when I die!

250 cals in 15 minutes seems a bit high. I have been a 5X15 high rep system that I'm maxing out the machine on and not getting that much. If you have a polar make sure you have set all your information in it otherwise it'll be off.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    250 calories in 15 minutes sounds awfully high.

What kind of HRM did you get?
    Ya really! I WISH! I am a ball of sweat most days and depends on the workout, it varies! But thats alot of cals burned in a small amount of time
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have had that problem 2 separate times in 2 years. I am a endo/mesomorph, so I put on both muscle and fat easy. I only do cardio as a warm up, then hit the weights. Dead lifts , squats and benching. I would loose weight, then plateau. The first time I tried eating less, and lost no more weight. Then I added 500 cal per work out day and lo and behold I lost 8 more pounds. I have again leveled off, and being stubborn I tried to lower cals again. 2 weeks later, I had lost nothing but strength. Now I am adding more cals on work out day and have lost 1 lb in 2 days.
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar f6 and worked with my trainer today for 30 minutes with 8 - 10 - and 12-lb weights. My HRM said I burned 186 calories during that time. I was also on the Bosu doing some jumping off and on which really got my heartrate up! That does sound like a huge burn for 15 minutes. ;-)
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Just for giggles, I popped on the weight machine dialed in the max it does 180 and for 15 minutes popped off bench and lat pulls, and other various exercises on it. Total calories burnt: 138. I'm inc. large and using max that machine had as fast as I could crank out 15 reps at a time. I held my HR at 158-163, I use a polar FT40, I think you might have you VO2 MAX set on the default, you need to do a quick est. VO2 MAX test and make sure that is set right, otherwise it'll give you some weird numbers. I learned that when I first got my polar. I just thought, ehhh default should work. Yeah you will want to change that. It takes 12 minutes or so to do the test for the most accurate results.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Weight training also burns more calories after you stop working out, just to point out......
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Weight training also burns more calories after you stop working out, just to point out......

Correct, I think the statistic is for every ten pounds of muscle you gain it burns 2500 more calories average in a week. I'll have to look it up now.
  • felicityksr
    Options
    Just for giggles, I popped on the weight machine dialed in the max it does 180 and for 15 minutes popped off bench and lat pulls, and other various exercises on it. Total calories burnt: 138. I'm inc. large and using max that machine had as fast as I could crank out 15 reps at a time. I held my HR at 158-163, I use a polar FT40, I think you might have you VO2 MAX set on the default, you need to do a quick est. VO2 MAX test and make sure that is set right, otherwise it'll give you some weird numbers. I learned that when I first got my polar. I just thought, ehhh default should work. Yeah you will want to change that. It takes 12 minutes or so to do the test for the most accurate results.
    I have my HRM set up for Own Zone with all of my personal statistics - age, weight, etc.
  • felicityksr
    Options
    I am very confused by all of this simply because every thing you see on tv, magazines..etc.. say you have to eat less and exercise more. So what is the point of exercising if you are going to eat back those calories, why not just eat the eligible amount of calories and no exercise.. this is all very confusing.
    :huh:
    I am with you on this, Lori. I can't seem to figure out why I should eat all of my exercise calories back when I got where I am from eating too much in the first place! :blushing: It seems like a Catch 22 - I eat too little and am told I will go into starvation mode and I eat too much and don't lose a pound and risk gaining.
  • lori8431
    Options
    What is endo/mesomorph?
  • ljloran
    Options
    aargg! :huh: I'm gonna have to do some research cause I totally don't understand how or why, by some of the accounts made here, I should be eating more. I don't want to eat more. I just finally made a mental break through and adopted a new self empowering life style and feel good about it.

And as for lifting weights, I know I'm burning and I don't have to look at an HRM to tell me that. I'm working out almost daily with a trainer and he kicks my butt. He pushes me to the edge and by the time we're done, I'm drenched. Then after I get home, I head out for a 3mile run. Lost 4lbs last week.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    One of the ways you can tell if you are getting accurate info and eating enough while lifting is assessing how you feel. If you are not able to lift heavier each time or you start getting sick and feeling tired all the time you are not eating enough, specifically protien. You want lean protien for this. It is actually very difficult to gain muscle if you are in a calorie deficiet, and if you are in too much deficiet then your body will start grabing protien... from your muscles, hence the tiredness, non-progresion, and sometimes even weakening can occurr. The more overweight you are the more likely you can gain muscle while losing fat. In short if you start feeling weaker, extra tired all the time and ar getting sick, then you need to eat more. Esp protien, but try for lean protien., you may actually need to adjust your ratio of macronutrients.

Speaking of macronutrients. Keep in mind when I say carbs I mean starchy low nutritional value stuff like grains, pasta, potatos; sugars and corn. I try to avoid carbs at night unless I'm weight training, and I also try to aviod them on non weight training days., though I usually find myself STARVING the day after weight day and I lift heavy. 5X5 each of Squats, Bench, Rows and then the alt work out of Squats, Overhead Presses and Deadlifts. google 5x5 and check the thread on MFP.

What the other poster meant about burning calories long after your lifting session is over is that the body, on that day continues to burn calories at a higher rate, for much longer than standard cardio. This is also true of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and Circuit training as well.
  • ljloran
    Options
    Lol, Sometimes I think proteins is all I eat. But still gotta throw in a few high fiber carbs and lots of green veggies. WILL NOT eat pastries, pasta, potatoes, or rice. It's been suggested I try quinoa, just haven't gotten to the store yet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!