Just Feeling Stuck

Options
How do you get moving and doing when you just can’t/won’t. I know I should “get out for a walk” or “go to the gym” but I’ve been thinking about it all day… How do u motivate yourself to “Just Do It”. Thanks!

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,912 Member
    Options
    Put on a "walking" outfit, just in case. Lay out your coat or whatever, just in case. Put on your walking shoes, just in case. Go out to get the mail or take something to the car, get something out of the car, ?
    It won't work every time, but it will work sometimes. Baby step #1.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Motivation is fickle at best.

When I’m feeling the UGH I have found that just treating it like a job is helpful.

Also is there something about getting a to the gym or going for a walk that might be getting in your way?
    Try something you can do without leaving your house?

I know a lot of people feel energized by getting out of the house, but that doesn’t hold true for everyone. It’s worth considering, anyway.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,095 Member
    Options
    Schedule it, put it on the calendar (mental or actual), then when the time arrives, treat it like it's not even a decision, it's just a thing that a person needs to do like grocery shopping, laundry, etc. As a bonus, if you make it a point to choose some enjoyable activity (a good idea), it'll be more fun than laundry or grocery shopping.

Thinking about it all day, IMO, is almost the opposite of what I think is the right approach.

For myself, when I can, I do active things that are so fun I'd do them even if they weren't good for me (but they are). I don't need any extra motivation to do fun things.

My most fun things (rowing boats and riding my bike) aren't possible in Winter here (river ices, snow on roads/trails). In Winter, I use that other strategy: Make a plan, then follow through on that plan as if there were no decision involved. (I mostly stationary bike, machine row - not as fun as the outdoor versions! - and lift weights some.) I also use some challenges to help me set goals/plans and stick to them in Winter.

Speaking of which, there's a challenges section here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

Maybe take a look there and see if something looks appealing as a way to get yourself in a more active routine?

I've been pretty active, using strategies above, for around 22 years now (for the first dozen years of which while overweight/obese, BTW.) As a helpful thing, I now start feeling crummy - moody, stiff, depressive - if I slack off on activity for more than a small number of days. That in itself usually is enough to get me going again. It takes some time - some months, maybe? - for that effect to kick in, but I think it will be true for most people who've established a habit of activity.

To get started, group classes or "fitness buddy" approaches help some people - they did help me at first, and sometimes even now. Schedule something where you have a commitment with others, maybe it'll be harder to procrastinate or skip since you'd be letting others down. It can be as simple as a walk and chat with a friend or family member. (Some people swear by getting a dog, so they walk the dog, but I wouldn't suggest that if it's the only reason for having a dog!)

Thinking about whether to do it or not do it, for hours at a time . . . well, it seems like there are happier ways to spend hours. Schedule something reasonably fun - at least tolerable, convenient - practical - then do it. That's IMO where "just do it" comes in.

Best wishes!
  • iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    Like AnnPT77 I used the challenges to keep me accountable. I started my weight loss journey in January of 2023 and found the challenges page in March and joined a few- I have lost almost 75 pounds since starting. The Biggest Loser Challenge is starting up again in May If you are looking for something to help you keep accountable or motivated and have some fun at the same time - I highly suggest it. This challenge has been a key factor in my success. The next round starts on May 1, but you can register now through April 27. If you join now, you can take part in the break challenge that starts March 27. I am the captain of the Determined Desert Tortoises (so I am biased that it is the best team), but there are other teams too. Each has a different focus. The Determined Desert Tortoises focus is like the story of the Tortoise and the Hare - slow and steady wins the race. They are a wonderful group, sharing great ideas, support, motivation, and accountability in such a nonjudgmental way. Try it - you won't regret it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10911777/blc55-biggest-loser-challenge-spring-summer-round

d7ktty77cfh4.png

• Tbirdgal_Stef
    Tbirdgal_Stef Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm riding on the struggle bus.
    I'm 5'2" and up to 177lbs.
    I get motivated and tired of feeling blah, get on my walking pad for a good week straight and start lifting, and then the bottom falls out; I feel worse about myself than before, and boom - stuck!
    I'm battling a bit of depression, nothing serious, though. Menopause hit me at 47. I am all done with that monthly business. Still, I have hot flashes, mood swings, sadness, weight gain, lack of sleep, etc., and I am trying to decide on HRT, but I am scared of the health issues that come with it (cancer, blot clots, etc).
    On top of that, I moved to TX for four months to care for my dad in April last year while he was passing away, leaving my husband and children, 17 & 19, to care for him and help my mom. I lost him in July, so it's not a year yet. Hubby had a rare skin cancer while I was caring for my dad, so I had to fly back to Minnesota from TX five times to help care for him, be home a week - and fly back down to dad (so far, hubby is cancer-free).
    My daughter is graduating and moving away to college, and that's extremely hard, plus all the stuff that comes with that, all the "last times." I just lost my grandmother at 96.5 years last week, too, and an uncle and cousin as well. Getting older is much more complicated than my parents made it look :)
    I watch my husband lift every evening and go go go even though he's got bad shoulders, knees, and back. I cannot get myself to get up and get moving and STAY moving! I'm sad, defeated, angry at myself. I know I feel better when I move!! Before I had to care for my dad, I was walking 2 miles a day outside in blizzards, rain, and wind. The weather didn't matter; I felt less sadness and was proud of myself. I can't pick myself up, and I'm so angry! I eat well and love to cook, so that's not the issue. I start feeling motivated and proud; then, the bottom falls out. Did I mention I even have my Alexa device tell me to get up, walk for an hour, lift weights, and exercise with a lovely motivational saying? That worked for me for a whole week, and then boom... bottom again; now I ignore her. :(
    Thanks for letting me vent. I'm going to try this again. I have my walking pad out and shutting the computer down for an hour. I'll try to keep this going for the next three weeks so it becomes a pattern.
    I want to get my mindset in a better, healthier place before the first anniversary of my dad's passing; it's so much harder than I ever realized it would be and before my daughter graduates in May and gets ready to leave home.
    I've printed out my "color-in" tracker and put it on my fridge. I'm hoping I can keep at this. I want to lose 25 lbs. to start and be realistic.
    I need all the Motivation I can get.
    I'll check back in daily if I'm still keeping at it.
    Wish me strength and luck :)
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Small do-able goals at first. Get used to doing something most days, then increase the length and intensity. They call it exercise snacking now.

I started with a goal of 60 minutes a week to do "something." There are tons of short workouts on youtube. Doing something at home makes it excuse proof for me. I will walk outside....only when the weather is nice, but I can do a "walking workouts" inside anytime. Youtube has tons of these.

I keep a spreadsheet, but you can use a calendar. Hang the calendar where you can see it. Account for your exercise "snacks" with a marker or even stickers. Small exercise segments can help you find things you enjoy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,095 Member
    Options
    I'm riding on the struggle bus.
    I'm 5'2" and up to 177lbs.
    I get motivated and tired of feeling blah, get on my walking pad for a good week straight and start lifting, and then the bottom falls out; I feel worse about myself than before, and boom - stuck!
    I'm battling a bit of depression, nothing serious, though. Menopause hit me at 47. I am all done with that monthly business. Still, I have hot flashes, mood swings, sadness, weight gain, lack of sleep, etc., and I am trying to decide on HRT, but I am scared of the health issues that come with it (cancer, blot clots, etc).
    On top of that, I moved to TX for four months to care for my dad in April last year while he was passing away, leaving my husband and children, 17 & 19, to care for him and help my mom. I lost him in July, so it's not a year yet. Hubby had a rare skin cancer while I was caring for my dad, so I had to fly back to Minnesota from TX five times to help care for him, be home a week - and fly back down to dad (so far, hubby is cancer-free).
    My daughter is graduating and moving away to college, and that's extremely hard, plus all the stuff that comes with that, all the "last times." I just lost my grandmother at 96.5 years last week, too, and an uncle and cousin as well. Getting older is much more complicated than my parents made it look :)
    I watch my husband lift every evening and go go go even though he's got bad shoulders, knees, and back. I cannot get myself to get up and get moving and STAY moving! I'm sad, defeated, angry at myself. I know I feel better when I move!! Before I had to care for my dad, I was walking 2 miles a day outside in blizzards, rain, and wind. The weather didn't matter; I felt less sadness and was proud of myself. I can't pick myself up, and I'm so angry! I eat well and love to cook, so that's not the issue. I start feeling motivated and proud; then, the bottom falls out. Did I mention I even have my Alexa device tell me to get up, walk for an hour, lift weights, and exercise with a lovely motivational saying? That worked for me for a whole week, and then boom... bottom again; now I ignore her. :(
    Thanks for letting me vent. I'm going to try this again. I have my walking pad out and shutting the computer down for an hour. I'll try to keep this going for the next three weeks so it becomes a pattern.
    I want to get my mindset in a better, healthier place before the first anniversary of my dad's passing; it's so much harder than I ever realized it would be and before my daughter graduates in May and gets ready to leave home.
    I've printed out my "color-in" tracker and put it on my fridge. I'm hoping I can keep at this. I want to lose 25 lbs. to start and be realistic.
    I need all the Motivation I can get.
    I'll check back in daily if I'm still keeping at it.
    Wish me strength and luck :)

Maybe I'm wrong, but reading this it feels like you're using binary settings: Do all the (perceived) good things, or . . .don't.

Taking a big bite of calorie restriction, exercise, tracking both, cardio+lifting in the exercise all at once . . . that sounds like a lot.

You've been through a lot. You deserve some grace. (How would you behave, what would you say, if a close friend was going through all that, having helped and cared for everyone while dealing with fear and grief? What would you say if that courageous, coping-against-odds friend felt like a failure?) You're a hero, a champ. You've done much to be proud of already!

Is there a reasonably easy, small, positive change you can make that actually feels good, feels nourishing?

If you feel better when you move, move a little more, in some truly enjoyable way. I can't tell you what that would be. Maybe window shop (walking), visit a botanical garden or wooded trail that's lovely? Maybe 10 minutes of stretching first thing in the morning? Maybe eat what you've been eating, with just a 10% portion reduction, or more braising/baking vs. frying, cut out one sugared beverage (not necessarily all) if you consume those, start each meal with a big green salad and some good-tasting fruit-infused sparkling water or hot tea, before moving on to more calorie-dense foods? I don't know what would be easy and enjoyable for you, but is there something?

To be clear, I'm not saying "do all of that", I'm saying "pick one pretty-easy thing". If you can take a step, feel good about that, maybe there's energy for another step after a bit. Take some small steps, patiently, over a period of time . . . it can be surprising how they add up.

Best wishes!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm battling a bit of depression, nothing serious, though.

You have been carrying a very heavy load.

I don’t want to assume too much, but you might want to consider talking to a mental health professional.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    Get a dog?

My dog is accustomed to a walk first thing in the morning. He gets me out the door and moving, rain or shine.

When I go somewhere, I tell him “we’ll got for a walk when I get home.” He meets me at the door and follows me around til he gets his walk.

After dinner, he jumps on the sofa and stares hard at me to let me know he’s ready for another walk.

If this dog had opposable thumbs or could operate a digital key, he’d be in the street all the time. But he relies on me.

Dogs are the best exercise motivation ever, and generally a pleasure to boot. They listen to anything you care to say to them, are happy when you don’t feel like talking, don’t judge, and the only thing they really and truly want, is to be to be your best friend.

There’s no creature pleasure than being side-eyed and grinned at by a happy dog.

Got a dog? Your motivation is ready to go. Grab a leash.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Do something that you enjoy doing and not something that you feel you should be doing. Are you slightly competitive? Try to find something where you can celebrate improvements. Do you enjoy being among others? Maybe a team sport. Enjoy being alone, maybe taking photos, watching animals? Go hiking out of town.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,055 Member
    Options
    If you want a supporting and encouraging team to work with, that can help a lot! You check in daily, get to know people on your team - it can make a huge difference. Take a look at the Fat 2 Fit group and sign up for April if you want to give it a try! Browse through the team chats (under Discussions) and the optional weekly full group challenges (under Announcements).

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

Sign-up thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10912208/registration-for-new-members-april-2024#latest