GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Today was one of those "accept the good with the bad" type of days.

First, the "bad": I finally have to admit that my waist has grown marginally during my bulk phase, just enough to need to loosen the belt one notch to be comfortable. This is more than offset by the increased size of arms, quads and chest, and something which everybody said to expect. Still a bit of a bummer, though, lol.

Next, the neutral: when I started my bulk I was 179, told myself if/when I hit 200 I would stop the bulk and begin a cut back to 190 or so. Well, I just hit that magic 200 mark, but I fear if I began a cut now I'd lose all my momentum towards reaching that 315 bench. I'm so close... Thinking I'll just keep the bulk going until I get hit that bench mark (pun intended), and then swap to a cut.

Finally, the good: set a new PR for bench reps. I remember vividly the first time I struggled to get a single rep at 225. Well, today was heavy power upper body day, and I was doing triples and doubles at 275. The gym was packed with the after-work crowd, and guys were lined up waiting to celebrate International Bench Press Day (aka every Monday, every week). Rather than wait 5 minutes for my fifth set at 275 for AMRAP, I took pity on the next guy in line and told him he could have my bench if he spotted me. I dropped the weight to 225 and the rest time to 2 minutes, and got ready for AMRAP there. Previous record was 10...today I banged out 13. According to calculators, that's good for a 319 1RM. As I said, I'm so close I can taste it, but the way I was struggling at 275 tells me I'm not ready to try. Yet.

You sound so very close! Kinda wild that you are working your way to that weight on BENCH, while I'm fighting to get there for Deads. LOL

BEAST MODE MIKE.

You totally need to break the no film rule for your bench PR. I'm sure they'd be ok with it. It would be awesome to see (and for you to have) for posterity!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Me update...

Still doing my bench experiment. Right now I'm playing around with form and have been doing half reps in the lower half to cement my form (working with a friend/former coach). We'll see how that goes, but it's not very exciting. I AM benching something almost daily though, so it'll be interesting to see if this gives me any breakthrough.

I'm doing my other workouts pretty consistently. Haven't been sharing them here because I've only been capturing my biggest set of my main lifts and then maybe one other, depending on how busy the gym is. I figure no-one wants or needs to see 15 GIFs of me either squatting or deadlifting. :-P

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was heavy lower-body day, which included hip thrusts 5x5. Because the first four sets felt like I had more to give at 485, I decided what the heck and increased the last set to an even 500 (had to go searching for the fractional plates). Banged out three reps at 500, a new PR.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    Feeling excited about this... I am working towards my goals al of a 315lb deadlift. I am so close, I can almost taste it! Last night I did amap reps at 225 and got 13 - and they all moved so nicely!

3grffxzn5vda.gif

I’m sweating just watching this - 🙌👏
  • nossmf
    Options
    Sandy, that's the same math I had on my bench earlier this week! 225x13 reps = 319 1RM. We both got this!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Made a seemingly minor switch to my lower-body hypertrophy workout, changing my squat sets from 4x15x365 to 5x10x405. Been years since I squatted 405, feels different on the shoulders when the bar starts to bend around you. Also takes a slightly different breathing pattern.

Don't know if I'm subconsciously preparing to try to increase my squat 1RM or simply didn't want to face sets of 15 today, lol. But calculators say today's work equates to a 1RM of 540, which obliterates my real-life tested 1RM of 485, so maybe.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Sandy, that's the same math I had on my bench earlier this week! 225x13 reps = 319 1RM. We both got this!

Too cool! Can't wait til we get there!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Made a seemingly minor switch to my lower-body hypertrophy workout, changing my squat sets from 4x15x365 to 5x10x405. Been years since I squatted 405, feels different on the shoulders when the bar starts to bend around you. Also takes a slightly different breathing pattern.

Don't know if I'm subconsciously preparing to try to increase my squat 1RM or simply didn't want to face sets of 15 today, lol. But calculators say today's work equates to a 1RM of 540, which obliterates my real-life tested 1RM of 485, so maybe.

This is just epic! Well done and crazy 1RMs!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Been largely MIA lately, but i found out that i have a torn supraspinatus. Kind of sucks, but started PT to see if i can correct/heal it. Otherwise, i will have a surgery in the next 8-10 weeks. I can essentially do legs and back/arm work. No push which sucks. But at least i am not fully out of the game
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,108 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Been largely MIA lately, but i found out that i have a torn supraspinatus. Kind of sucks, but started PT to see if i can correct/heal it. Otherwise, i will have a surgery in the next 8-10 weeks. I can essentially do legs and back/arm work. No push which sucks. But at least i am not fully out of the game

Sorry to hear about this. I appreciate the mindset though. Wish you the best with it.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Sorry to hear about this. I appreciate the mindset though. Wish you the best with it.

Thanks man. It just means more leg days. Which ironically are my favorite.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Is that ALL push denied, or only horizontal push (aka you can do shoulders)?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Is that ALL push denied, or only horizontal push (aka you can do shoulders)?

No ohp, no chest work. Chest work is how i discovered the pain
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

I can imagine how painful this is. My shoulder has been acting up on me pretty regularly since I pissed it off doing dips. It's the same area and when it hurts, it's hard to think clearly.

Hope the pt helps! (and quickly!)
  • nossmf
    Options

Bummer. But you may still have face pulls and lateral raises available.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Bummer. But you may still have face pulls and lateral raises available.

Unfortunately, my PT doesn't want any movements like that either just yet. So no shoulder work. Sucks because i love facepulls.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I can imagine how painful this is. My shoulder has been acting up on me pretty regularly since I pissed it off doing dips. It's the same area and when it hurts, it's hard to think clearly.

Hope the pt helps! (and quickly!)

That is how mine started and just kept getting worse.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Dips are the devil! I did them my first year of lifting, quickly stopped due to pain, though in my case it was pain on my triceps, not chest. Either way, haven't done them in 13+ years.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Dips are the devil! I did them my first year of lifting, quickly stopped due to pain, though in my case it was pain on my triceps, not chest. Either way, haven't done them in 13+ years.

I won't be going back to them (dips). I have been hard on my rotator cuff all my life... baseball, swimming, lifting - they all seem to aggravate it. (damn near destroyed it from playing in the outfield). I did go to physio last week and the PT said that my right shoulder is rotated inward some. That I am pec dominant and I need to stretch out my pecs and work hard on getting my shoulder back into the right position. I've been doing some band rehab and some very light dumbbell workouts to do that, but I have a feeling it may take a while. Poor posture, working at a desk... they all have worked hard to get me positioned this way. sigh