I “Want” to Workout 🏋️

Options
Hey! 👋
I want to workout, but tend to get distracted quickly & always find reasons to put it off. I know what you’re thinking, I must not really want it, right? I do, but I’ve never fully committed to exercising.

What are your suggestions for quick workouts that produce results? I’ve read about compound movements & it’s looking like that’s my best bet. I don’t need to lose any weight, but definitely need to tone up! Any wisdom you can send my way will be appreciated!

Replies

• JustHereForInspiration
    Options
    You are so right! I definitely need to make it a priority & hold myself accountable! Thanks for replying!
  • JustHereForInspiration
    Options
    There is no “quick workouts that produce results” despite what clickbait would have you believe.

Sorry.

Like most of life, you reap the results of the effort you invest.

Instead of worrying about finding the perfect compound movement, and being frozen to inaction til you do, just find something you enjoy doing, and get off the sofa.

Walking is free (invest in good shoes!) and easy, no special training or equipment required.

When I finally “got off the sofa”, I started by doing one thing, which led to another, which led to another. Now I have lots of stuff I enjoy doing, and have a bucket list. I even tried flying trapeze classes last fall. I broke a toe, but I was darned proud of that broken toe and guess what? As a result, I took up lap swimming since walking was out for a short time and treated myself to some classes. Now I swim a mile several times a week.

If I’d waited for perfect everything, my butt would still be glued to the sofa.

You’re here for inspiration, but the best inspiration is inside of you.

I 100% agree with you about being frozen in inaction! OMGosh, that is the story of my life with exercise! I am not frozen on the couch though, my problem is saying “Yes” & committing to things that take precedence over working out. Thank you for replying! I will definitely put your advice to good use!
  • StanDandyLiver
    StanDandyLiver Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would second that notion of going for walks. Getting in to nature is so therapeutic. If you want to change it up a little to make it more challenging you could also try rucking, where you load some weight in a backpack or a weighted vest, and walk with that.
    Alternatively, high incline treadmill walking is another way of getting a good workout in. It's low impact, and you sustain it for longer period than you would be able to with running, leading to a higher overall calorie burn. Anyone who says walking isn't a workout hasn't spent an hour on a 15% incline at 3mph. I was drenched by the end of it. The bonus effect of high incline treadmill walking is that your legs (especially the calves) tone up almost as a by product.
    And finally on this walking theme, there's also another one of my personal go-to circuits. It involves kettlebell shuttle runs. It involves farmers carries and suitcase carries. It is one hell of a workout, that works, cardio, legs, shoulders, grip and core. I'll post the circuit in a separate reply below

Ultimately it's about picking one, or a few of these activities and turning it in to a habit, like something you have to do, like laundry, or meal prep etc, except as you make progress and start to feel better about yourself, it won't feel like a chore. You'll start to look forward to doing it, and miss it when you can't. See it as you're investing in yourself.

I wish you all the best with it. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
  • StanDandyLiver
    StanDandyLiver Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell Shuttles Circuit

Use 2x kettlebells of equal weight
    Over 20m distance [points A to B]

1 round =
    A to B carrying both KB (Farmers carry)
    B to A unloaded (jog/walk)
    A to B unloaded (jog/walk)
    B to A carrying one KB (suitcase carry right)
    B to A carrying one KB (suitcase carry left)

Do 10, 15, or 20 rounds.
    10 rounds ~ 1 mile
    15 rounds ~ 1.5 miles
    20 rounds ~ 2 miles

Select a weight you can do at least 10 rounds with. When you can complete 20 rounds, increase the weight.
  • JustHereForInspiration
    Options
    I would second that notion of going for walks. Getting in to nature is so therapeutic. If you want to change it up a little to make it more challenging you could also try rucking, where you load some weight in a backpack or a weighted vest, and walk with that.
    Alternatively, high incline treadmill walking is another way of getting a good workout in. It's low impact, and you sustain it for longer period than you would be able to with running, leading to a higher overall calorie burn. Anyone who says walking isn't a workout hasn't spent an hour on a 15% incline at 3mph. I was drenched by the end of it. The bonus effect of high incline treadmill walking is that your legs (especially the calves) tone up almost as a by product.
    And finally on this walking theme, there's also another one of my personal go-to circuits. It involves kettlebell shuttle runs. It involves farmers carries and suitcase carries. It is one hell of a workout, that works, cardio, legs, shoulders, grip and core. I'll post the circuit in a separate reply below

Ultimately it's about picking one, or a few of these activities and turning it in to a habit, like something you have to do, like laundry, or meal prep etc, except as you make progress and start to feel better about yourself, it won't feel like a chore. You'll start to look forward to doing it, and miss it when you can't. See it as you're investing in yourself.

I wish you all the best with it. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

You’ve given me tons of great information. Thank you so much!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Something that I think helps me a lot at times I'm feeling less motivated is when I get home from work (knowing I want to make sure I do something active that day) I just go ahead and change into my workout clothes. Ideally I'd then just go do my workout --- Generally speaking if I have something to do after work (go to dinner, errands, workout, etc.) I want to go straight to that after work --- like once I'm home and out of my work clothes sometimes I have a mental block that's just like, "I'm home, no more". Haha.

So immediately being prepared to go be active is helpful bc then I'm like, "Well I'm already ready...". I may still need to sit or lay down for a bit and decompress from work or something but since then I'm already dressed I just am more likely to go.

I would also suggest for you to think of ways you can incorporate more activity into your day without coding it as 'working out' or 'exercising'. Going for a walk in the neighborhood or park, going for a hike....getting into something like pickleball, rockclimbing, etc....some sport that many people play recreationally that can get you active. Pick something you actually enjoy so it's more likely you'll do it.

Honestly -- my intentional activity/'work outs' are really just running (bc I actually enjoy it - many don't so don't choose running as your cardio if it's a slog), hiking, walking, rock climbing. Anything else I do in the gym re: weight training is really exclusively to simply support my other physical activities.
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Circuits with compound movements, alternating between upper and lower to force your heart to work harder to shunt blood up then down.
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hey! 👋
    I want to workout, but tend to get distracted quickly & always find reasons to put it off. I know what you’re thinking, I must not really want it, right? I do, but I’ve never fully committed to exercising.

What are your suggestions for quick workouts that produce results? I’ve read about compound movements & it’s looking like that’s my best bet. I don’t need to lose any weight, but definitely need to tone up! Any wisdom you can send my way will be appreciated!

Tell me to mind my own buisness but have you ever been checked for Adhd?

Getting distracted easily, putting things off even though you clearly want to do them because you've bothered to research them.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell Shuttles Circuit

Use 2x kettlebells of equal weight
    Over 20m distance [points A to B]

1 round =
    A to B carrying both KB (Farmers carry)
    B to A carrying one KB (suitcase carry right)
    B to A carrying one KB (suitcase carry left)

Do 10, 15, or 20 rounds.
    10 rounds ~ 1 mile
    15 rounds ~ 1.5 miles
    20 rounds ~ 2 miles

Select a weight you can do at least 10 rounds with. When you can complete 20 rounds, increase the weight.

This sounds so fun!! What an awesome recommendation.
  • BarbellBrandi
    BarbellBrandi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m replying in the part for you to make it a habit.

The most important thing, and I can’t stress this enough is self-discipline.
    You will not always have the motivation.

Start with a small/attainable goal. Exp: I will commit to doing at least a 30min workout 3x a week.
    Once you do that for 2 weeks-a month, maybe up that goal to longer workouts or to 4-5x a week.
    As I’ve seen others say: accountability is a big part. There will be days where you’re tired or had a bad day at work.

Self-Discipline > Motivation
  • bluepoppy88
    bluepoppy88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same issue, but I.have found lazy work outs. Arms, back, chest, core are easy to do in bed. Legs and butt are a bit more difficult. So have to push on those days. Just grab some dumbells and do it while your laying down after a bit it's easier to be motivated because you feel good.
  • Davidstefcraciun
    Davidstefcraciun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bro, start with something very small and scale it up to build your discipline. Why do you keep cutting off working out? I believe that in your case it's because you want very quick result with minimal effort. It will take up to a year to see results and you need a challenging routine.