How do you deal with burnout?

Options
Not in a good mental headspace today. Between work, holiday prep, housework, and trying to keep my physical health struggles under control… I’m completely burnt out and I don’t know how to refill this empty cup I’m trying to pour from because every time I turn around someone else wants something from me. And even the simplest self-care tasks seem like way too much effort and only provide relief for about five minutes when I do force myself to do them.

I don’t have a great support system in real life, therapy/medication clearly isn’t working… I’m just feeling completely lost when it comes to working myself out of this hole.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    Spa day. Mani/pedi. Something where you can pamper yourself to help you relax.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,914 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Look for help where you least expect it. Stay open to the good stuff. I don't know about your physical health problems, but be your own health advocate. Doctors treat symptoms. Do your own search to help the cause.
    Journal. There's always one person who cares. YOU! Talk to yourself in your journal.
  • Philomath007
    Philomath007 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Everyone here made some awesome suggestions. Seasonal moods are real and some of our bodies just don’t want to do anything but recover—that is fine. Allow your body to do what it does. I am a runner, but in the winter, I just can’t. But guess what? My body will walk, so I walk. My body may not want to do “exercise” so I don’t.

I will say being outside is something that helps during this time. It’s our natural state. Sit on the porch or just go stand. I hope this along with the other tips works! We’ve all been there. Realize your contribution is also an aspect of wellness.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Outside and sunshine does a lot, even if you’re just sitting on your porch.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 897 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @emgracewrites - I’ve been teetering on burnout for about 3 years…. I finally had to prioritize myself.

Take time to be a hermit if you need, take time for your own wellness. Communicate candidly at work, take up space you need.

I’ve finally been getting better .. I’ve had to advocate for my own needs.. Hope you get some mental and physical respite.
  • franksl87
    franksl87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How are you getting on now the rush is over?
    I had a couple of days off with the kids last week and couldn't pull myself out of bed before 1030am. I'd been unwell over Christmas, so had my partner but I'd been meeting myself coming back trying to get ready and make everything 'perfect'. I very nearly lost my #### on Christmas day after finally hitting the wall. As soon as the kids were in bed on Christmas day, the weight of the world lifted and I cried my eyes out. Massive relief. I've found this week, although it's been difficult initially, I've been quite energetic and determined. I'm hoping I'm not setting myself up for another burnout.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    The concept of the Middle Way can be applied to every area of our life and in so doing, it can help you avoid burnout, boreout, experience greater peace of mind, and live a happier, healthier life. By following the Middle Way, one avoids the extremes of self-denial and self-indulgence, constant striving, and lethargy.

Energy management is critical. And that involves self-awareness, setting boundaries (and enforcing them), and committing to other self-care practices.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    This is a struggle for me lately, but I tend to run into this a bit most winters, especially if it's been a "bad" winter like this year has been, so I also know a lot of it is a type of SAD combined with crappy weather preventing me from doing the things I love.
    I still get outside every day, generally a minimum of 1-2 hours/day, regardless of the weather as I have a high energy active dog that needs exercise even if the weather sucks. I find that helps a little, but does NOT resolve the issues.
    I've sort of figured out it's a combination of things - pressures from the holidays (planning, coordination, dealing with family and driving, etc); work gets insane between the end of year stuff followed by the craziness when everyone gets back from the holidays; then add in the awful weather and shortest days of the year - it's a bad, bad combo for me (and I live in the south US, when I was in the north I'd get full blow SAD really bad).
    I honestly have not figured out a good solution other than power through, because spring approaches. Even a few warmer days and work starting to settle down here and there and I feel a million times better some days (although still hit and miss at this point, and it doesn't take much to send me spiraling for a day or two).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I buy coloring books designed for adults and spend some time doing that as a way of separating myself from all the stressful tasks.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    This is a struggle for me lately, but I tend to run into this a bit most winters, especially if it's been a "bad" winter like this year has been, so I also know a lot of it is a type of SAD combined with crappy weather preventing me from doing the things I love.
    I still get outside every day, generally a minimum of 1-2 hours/day, regardless of the weather as I have a high energy active dog that needs exercise even if the weather sucks. I find that helps a little, but does NOT resolve the issues.
    I've sort of figured out it's a combination of things - pressures from the holidays (planning, coordination, dealing with family and driving, etc); work gets insane between the end of year stuff followed by the craziness when everyone gets back from the holidays; then add in the awful weather and shortest days of the year - it's a bad, bad combo for me (and I live in the south US, when I was in the north I'd get full blow SAD really bad).
    I honestly have not figured out a good solution other than power through, because spring approaches. Even a few warmer days and work starting to settle down here and there and I feel a million times better some days (although still hit and miss at this point, and it doesn't take much to send me spiraling for a day or two).

I also find sunny days to be more energizing. I hear ya on “powering through”…

I’ve been waking a few minutes earlier and making some tea and just taking 10 minutes of quiet for myself to center and get the day going. Sometimes I listen to mantras of meditation music. It helps me be still and focused as I’m constantly pulled in 200 directions all day and I’m the person that has to provide the direction!

🌞 ☕️
  • noraknotes
    noraknotes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @emgracewrites - I’ve been teetering on burnout for about 3 years…. I finally had to prioritize myself.

Take time to be a hermit if you need, take time for your own wellness. Communicate candidly at work, take up space you need.

I’ve finally been getting better .. I’ve had to advocate for my own needs.. Hope you get some mental and physical respite.

I totally agree with @SafariGalNYC ! Sometimes you just need space for yourself and to be away from others and the expectations that are put upon you by them. In my experience, it's better to start slowly taking tasks / responsibilities OFF your list vs. getting completely overwhelmed. When I get overwhelmed, I stopped answering texts/calls and then I get more texts/calls once people realise I stopped replying and that aggravates me even more because it's just "people bothering me" overload.

Personally, I try to do multiple "spa nights" a week. Take a hot bath, bring a warm drink, dim the lights or put on some candles, and just have a little bit of quiet time before I have to step back into reality again.

Hope you will find what works for you but definitely advocate for yourself. It's not easy but you have to learn to say "no". I've also learned to reduce my interaction with people that are draining and always need something. It's definitely not easy but hope you will be okay!!
  • mikeyrowlands
    mikeyrowlands Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across this today, I'm in this space, mentally drained, not at my physical best which means I feel nackered too.

Some really great suggestions here, especially on recognising and pushing back a bit.

I was thinking about 'momentum' this Morning, I can only 'flick the switch' and start making progress if I keep momentum. This post also got me thinking about how my health is the one thing I can control, I will carry that with me today and into the week.

Hope you are in a better space this year and almost into April. ✊️
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Burnout is real.
    It’s important to care for yourself as best as you can and let it go through whatever phases it may.

Sometimes it’s just a short time, but other times burnout can last a very long time. I don’t say that to discourage anyone, just to say it can be normal.

You can’t pour from an empty cup.
    Speak to a therapist if you can. Prioritize only the most important things. And be as gentle on yourself as you can.

Solidarity
  • Pleurodelinae27
    Pleurodelinae27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Staying in one place is the best path to be taken over and surpassed by many

© Byron Pulsifer