Eating 3 Oreos per day instead of 2

Options
I want to eat 3 instead of 2

Will this make a huge difference for dieting. I’m actually thin right now but I don’t really want to gain weight

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be enough to make a difference. Please excuse the rudeness of the previous poster. I'm sure they think they're being funny. They're not.
  • SoonerinTX
    SoonerinTX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 Oreo is 53 cal. It takes 3500 calories to equate a pound lost or gained. If your calorie intake is exactly the same every day, and you normally eat 3 Oreos every day, dropping that 1 Oreo will result in 1 pound lost after 66 days.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    Options
    Based on the information you give out, I agree with the part of @sollyn23l2's answer where she says that it shouldn't be enough to make a difference.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 420 Member
    edited March 23
    Options
    My dn, a few years back when low-fat was all the rage and approach, well she thought if she had butter, she would get fat.

So the good news is, you can choose any food to eat, any time, any place. And go from there.

Don't want to gain weight, don't eat more than your body needs over time.

Only want to eat sweets and treats? You can.

Do you want to nourish your body so you are strong and healthy, then explore foods that will help your body.

Your choices should be food you like, and if it helps your body too, great. No need to eat foods you don't enjoy.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    While 50 Cals seem minor these things add up. Stick with zero Oreos. It’s too hard to jut eat 2 so out of sight, out of mind. If you’re in fat loss mode don’t buy these things if they’re a problem.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    I dont see any need to stick with zero Oreos.

If OP is calorie counting and her calorie allowance is x, it is easy enough to fit 2 Oreos into that, if they are 53 calories each.
    Easy enough to fit 3 in if she wants to
    and easy enough to fit in other nutritional foods so your diet is nutritionally sound - that can include 2 or 3 Oreos.

Of course if controlling your intake of any food is an issue, find ways to limit its availabilty - but nothing in OP's post to suggest that is the case for her.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    It shouldn't be enough to make a difference. Please excuse the rudeness of the previous poster. I'm sure they think they're being funny. They're not.

Having been a member here since 2011, I also believe that neanderthin was not being rude or trying to be funny, but showing genuine concern over a concerning question. I agree with their response.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    While 50 Cals seem minor these things add up. Stick with zero Oreos. It’s too hard to jut eat 2 so out of sight, out of mind. If you’re in fat loss mode don’t buy these things if they’re a problem.

Yep, junk calories.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    It's OK to spend some calories on things just because you enjoy them as long as your overall diet is reasonably nutrionally sound.

159 calories ( 3 oreos at 53 calories each) is easy enough to fit into any calorie allowance leaving plenty of room for higher nutrition items as well.

If someone is on a 1200-1500 calorie a day plan, the 3 Oreos is over 10% of their caloric intake. Not much wiggle room to get optimum nutrition with the 3 Oreos on a daily basis.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    edited March 26
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    It's OK to spend some calories on things just because you enjoy them as long as your overall diet is reasonably nutrionally sound.

159 calories ( 3 oreos at 53 calories each) is easy enough to fit into any calorie allowance leaving plenty of room for higher nutrition items as well.

If someone is on a 1200-1500 calorie a day plan, the 3 Oreos is over 10% of their caloric intake. Not much wiggle room to get optimum nutrition with the 3 Oreos on a daily basis.

Or any other UPF loaded with refined carbs and sugar which happens to represent over 60% of the SAD diet. So if a diet is mostly whole foods without UPF 2 or 3 oreo cookies mean very little as far as health is concerned if it's within a persons calorie allowance.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    I find Oreos gross with all kinds of nasty chemicals so that would be zero in my opinion... lol

I vividly remember the days where if I bought oreo's the box would not survive the night, now I look at them in the store and look down the cereal and cookie row and wonder how many UPF make up the totality of calories in a supermarket and there's actually numbers from research for that and they vary from around 55% to 70%. Add heavily processed not quite UFP and humans are ill equipped to make the right choices, especially with all the health banners telling us how healthy they are and all the pretty and delicious looking food, lol, crazy times really.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

Or any other UPF loaded with refined carbs and sugar which happens to represent over 60% of the SAD diet. So if a diet is mostly whole foods without UPF 2 or 3 oreo cookies mean very little as far as health is concerned if it's within a persons calorie allowance.

My point is if someone is on a lower calorie allowance the 159 calories represented by the cookies every day could cut into their caloric needs for health. If someone is needs and is eating 3000 calories a day to maintain, yeah eat the 3 Oreos.

The lower # of calories one is consuming means they have to be very careful with UPFs (in many cases pretty much eliminating them) to get adequate nutrition.
  • neanderthin
    Options

My point is if someone is on a lower calorie allowance the 159 calories represented by the cookies every day could cut into their caloric needs for health. If someone is needs and is eating 3000 calories a day to maintain, yeah eat the 3 Oreos.

The lower # of calories one is consuming means they have to be very careful with UPFs (in many cases pretty much eliminating them) to get adequate nutrition.

I agree with you but I did say if a diet was without UPF it's really not too much of an issue or at all. An oreo cookie even though it's highly processed still has some nutrition it and does contribute to the overall diet but in the context
    of those requirements. Most of the fat is unsaturated mono and poly fats and the carbs are good and quick energy. Personally I would never eat them but like you I'm low carb/ketogenic and I consume mostly a whole food diet, so they are a no go, but for other people they might be fine, even if they represent 10% of their diet and it really depends on their health status and their exercise status, basically sedentary, obese and have diabetes, yeah not good, younger, not overweight and athletic, it's basically fuel.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    edited March 26
    Options
    I, too, used to blow through a family pack of Doublestuff in a sitting.

I’d much rather double the calories but then spend them on a bakery cookie from a local French bakery.

Otherwise, if fewer available, I’d spend them on a Nugo bar. More satisfying and tastes better.

Although I can still scarf chocolate with the best of them, Oreos, Little Debbie’s, Pepperidge Farm, Grasshoppers, Girl Scout cookies…..all have zero appeal any more.

Funny how choices and decisions- and tastebuds- change with better nutritional education.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I, too, used to blow through a family pack of Doublestuff in a sitting.

I’d much rather double the calories but then spend them on a bakery cookie from a local French bakery.

Otherwise, if fewer available, I’d spend them on a Nugo bar. More satisfying and tastes better.

Although I can still scarf chocolate with the best of them, Oreos, Little Debbie’s, Pepperidge Farm, Grasshoppers, Girl Scout cookies…..all have zero appeal any more.

Funny how choices and decisions- and tastebuds- change with better nutritional education.

Tru dat. :)