Post-workout routine question

Options
akafful
akafful Posts: 64 Member
edited March 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys,

One of the things I struggle with is my post-workout routine. Should I stretch or have protein directly after?

Answers

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Why not both?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Stretch to keep flexibility and having protein directly after is broscience (although if you're an elite athlete, it's optimal for best gains).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Static stretching is good. TBH, I only tend to do that for hamstrings.

The "anabolic window" for protein is a myth. Get your protein within a few hours before or after your workout and you're covered. In fact the most important thing for protein generally is get your daily total in, including taking into account if your protein sources are poorer quality to aim a bit higher for that total.
  • akafful
    Options
    I’m also asking because normally after my workouts, I drive home since I they are bootcamp classes without any open gym.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    akafful wrote: »
    I’m also asking because normally after my workouts, I drive home since I they are bootcamp classes without any open gym.

How do you feel driving home? Are you stiff / ravenous? How long is your drive?

I’ve trained in a gym then driven 2 hours; trained at home then eaten straight after; had a bath/ gone for a walk etc. I think recovery is personal and it depends on how you feel. I know I benefit from eating quickly after (but my sessions are c 2.5hrs so I get hungry) and then have a walk, hot bath and lately use EMS on my legs. Does all that help recovery? No idea. But I feel better!
  • akafful
    Options

I’ve trained in a gym then driven 2 hours; trained at home then eaten straight after; had a bath/ gone for a walk etc. I think recovery is personal and it depends on how you feel. I know I benefit from eating quickly after (but my sessions are c 2.5hrs so I get hungry) and then have a walk, hot bath and lately use EMS on my legs. Does all that help recovery? No idea. But I feel better!

I’m okay. Normally my drive back is 10 minutes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

I’m okay. Normally my drive back is 10 minutes.

OK, stretch outdoors if you can't do it indoors after the boot camp, or wait until you get home. Put a protein bar in your car, or get a nonfat skim latte (no sugar, ideally) en route if it's early in the day, or simply have a protein snack at home.

Or just eat nutritiously all day, for 98.3% of the same benefit. (Yes, I made that number up. It's not so far off. Fair play, because the marketers make up numbers, too. :D )

Marketers want you to think this is super technical, so you need to give them $$$ to make progress. It's not true. Common sense can work.

Best wishes!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Nutrition wise, it's the pre workout nutrition which is important. Go into the gym with a good supply of glycogen. Post workout do whatever you want, nap, some cardio, light stretching, etc. Nothing is mandatory just do what feels right for you.

At some point afterwards you'll need protein however that anabolic window people used to talk about is a falacy.
  • GettingCut70
    GettingCut70 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I workout right after work, so my post workout routing is shower, casein protein and then dinner.