Slow metabolism

Options
Anyone know the best way to get my metabolism going? Mine has slowed down with age, I'm finding it hard to get weight off even with diet and exercise. Any suggestions :)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    As we age the opposite is true: you can't make up for a lack of muscle mass and daily exercise with a diet. Focus on quality protein and getting some form of exercise 3 or 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes and resistance exercise would be a bonus for sure. Sarcopenia is not our friend as we age. :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    One suggestion: have you had your thyroid checked? An underactive thyroid can mean less movement, which will slow down your metabolism. I had a problem losing weight when I was in my 40s. When I got on thyroid meds, I was able to lose weight. Certain meds can also make it hard to lose weight. Check with your doctor to see if that could be a factor.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited March 27
    Options
    More to my point on sarcopenia. The obesity rate in India is low and around 10-11 % but, it's a good example of skinny fat (sarcopenia), yeah, it's a thing. Central obesity, which is the accumulated visceral fat around our organs which effects waist circumferences is a big problem especially for women in India where according to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and the Union Health Ministry effects around 40% of men and 50% of women and where protein quality and in combination with a diet that is also high in carbohydrates and fat which has contributed to this "skinny fat phenotype" and not surprising all the comorbidities to go along with that, like diabetes that is actually higher in India that the USA and that's saying something and of course heart disease is double when someone has diabetes. Protein quality is important as well as in the right proportions also taking into consideration India's overall protein intake is low as well which probably has to do with other cultural factors like religion for example.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I hear you, but my metabolism didn't go down due to age. Its more my lowered activity level and muscle mass associated with the lifestyle I've settled into. When I get those back on track, I tend to do just fine even though I'm older now.

Me, too. I had a mid-40's career change and when my weight crept up 5lb (not uncommon), my usual way of losing 5lb didn't work. I wondered if it was age related metabolism change. Ha! It wasn't. As soon as I realized my new less active job gave me a smaller calorie budget and adjusted for that, the math worked as expected. Fewer calories was totally worth an easier lifestyle! Strength training takes effort (mental effort, too) for me, though. There's no other option for maintaining muscle mass, so the effort it worth it (says to self).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my metabolism starting slowing down around age 39.

Oh, wait, that's when I started a series of desk jobs - prior to that I was a full time yoga teacher, also worked out regularly, walked a lot during the course of my volunteer job, and did not eat a lot of calorie-dense foods. :lol:

Here's my favorite article about metabolism: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-increase-metabolism/
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited March 29
    Options
    You can flip it on its head. I finally got off my fanny and started exercising. My “metabolism” or whatever you care to call it, has rebounded in the opposite direction.

You’re not doomed, you know. You’ve just got to make the decision whether to keep slowing, or push back.