Hypothyroidism and Weight Management

Options
124»

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Bumping for visibility to newcomers.
    Solidarity folks. Thyroid issues are a pain in the kitten.
  • corp122
    corp122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was hypothyroid on the max dose of synthroid for about 20 years (I'm 64). When the pandemic hit I got the 2 Moderna immunity shots. After about 6 months, my thyroid flipped from hypothyroid to hyperthyroid and I lost 25lbs and my medication was changed to Metaprolol to prevent Afib. Now I guess it's repaired itself?? and it's heading back to hypothyroid and I've put back the 25 lbs. I expect to go back to synthroid soon. Curious if anyone else has experienced this because my endocrinologist has seen this frequently.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    Exhaustion is what kills me... They have been slowly upping my dosage over the past 6 months, but as you say each adjustment is 6-8 weeks away. I sleep like 11 hours at night and need a nap after work. I teach spin classes (have for nearly 20 year), but struggle to make it through a class right now. THS is sitting at 7 to 9 and I run best under 2. Hypothyroidism is not a barrier to weight loss, but until it's under control the symptoms can certainly hamper your efforts.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Exhaustion is what kills me...
    I don’t think that people who don’t struggle with thyroid issues really grasp this.

When I’m low I can feel it. My entire life is like everything is experienced while I’m living in a swimming pool of thick pudding.

Every movement is a struggle. Thoughts are like I’m halfway asleep. Walking anywhere is like an Olympic marathon.

And to add fighting with a medical professional to be taken seriously is just one more huge hurdle.

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited March 27
    Options
    Exhaustion is what kills me...
    I don’t think that people who don’t struggle with thyroid issues really grasp this.

When I’m low I can feel it. My entire life is like everything is experienced while I’m living in a swimming pool of thick pudding.

Every movement is a struggle. Thoughts are like I’m halfway asleep. Walking anywhere is like an Olympic marathon.

And to add fighting with a medical professional to be taken seriously is just one more huge hurdle.

It's always interesting to me. I've been both severely hyperthyroidism and severely hypothyroid (after having my thyroid radiated). I could feel the hyper... it was like constantly running a marathon and being extremely anxious all the time 24/7, but never once felt it when I was hypothyroid. Probably because my body was just so relieved to not be in overdrive all the time.