Perimenopause/Menopause

Options
SallyIl23
SallyIl23 Posts: 2 Member
edited April 1 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all! New here & wondering if any women out there are using the app to aid in weigh loss during peri / menopause? How is it going , does it help any to track?
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I agree with kshama. Menopause is one of the latest ways marketers are trying to hook us on the idea that we can't improve fitness or achieve a healthy body weight without their $$$$ exercise programs, supplements, or diet plan. If we realize we can handle it on our own, they're SOL.

I missed out on peri (because chemotherapy brought on menopause within the space of a month), but I've been in menopause for almost 24 years . . . a period of time during which I went from a couch bound overstressed lump to competing as an athlete, then lost from class 1 obese to a healthy weight in just under a year (without adding any material amount of exercise BTW).

Menopause can trigger some annoying symptoms for some, sure. But I think what's more relevant to bodyweight at that stage is that fact that - for most of us - we've lost muscle mass, and our lifestyles have become less routinely physical than when we were in our teens/20s. For sure, current research is saying our underlying metabolism is stable from 20s through around 60, then declines only slowly. A history of yo-yo dieting can also reduce calorie needs somewhat.

Fundamentally, increasing activity (daily life stuff as well as exercise) and managing calorie intake (keeping it below what we burn) is the basic right approach. For sure, MFP and calorie counting helped me do that more easily, though there's an element of personal preference in what will work best, and there are other possible routes than counting.

Doing some strength-challenging exercise can help rebuild some of our lost muscle mass, too. That's a slow process, and only increases calorie burn at rest by a teeny tiny amount, but strength is useful in daily life, and being fitter (in diverse ways) often helps people find moving easier and more fun, so more of it happens semi-automagically.

Don't believe the disempowering "menopause myths". Managing eating and activity level can be sufficient for progress, whether in menopause or not.

Best wishes!

• lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi Ann, when you went into menopause did you notice any thickening in your midsection? I used to have the most awesome hourglass figure till I hit 50. Now I'm an "apple" lol. I wonder as I lean out, if I'll ever see my abs again like I did when I was 17 percent BF in my early 30's.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    Hi Ann, when you went into menopause did you notice any thickening in your midsection? I used to have the most awesome hourglass figure till I hit 50. Now I'm an "apple" lol. I wonder as I lean out, if I'll ever see my abs again like I did when I was 17 percent BF in my early 30's.

Honestly, I have no idea if I had midsection thickening with menopause. When I went into menopause, I was somewhere around the overweight/obese BMI line, was starting chemotherapy, had just had bilateral mastectomies with no reconstruction so my body looked different to me anyway, and after treatment started getting more athletic so my body shape changed from that . . . too complicated to sort out what happened, let alone what caused it.

Truthfully, I don't much care what menopause did or didn't cause. I have a reasonable handle on where I am now, and that's what I'll need to work with if I want to change. I can't stop being menopausal! (And I can't take HRT because of the type of cancer I had.)

I was apple-shaped for sure before weight loss, now shaped more like . . . a block, maybe? :D

Personally, I hold most of my residual fat in my lower abdomen and inner upper thighs. My lower ribs are close to the top of my pelvic bones, so I'm never going to have much of a waist. (I tend to be rectangular-ish, figure-wise: Limited waist, broad shoulders, narrow hips, generally built more like a 14 y/o boy when thin, less like a 68 y/o woman. :D )

As an aside, I accidentally lost too much weight when I was pursuing maintenance at first, got down to 116 pounds at 5'5" (BMI 19). If I got my posture where it needed to be, my belly didn't protrude much, IIRC. I don't recall how visible abs were, not really on my radar. I like being strong, but I don't really care how I look.

There's a lot going on as we age, on average: Loss of muscle mass, compromised posture, maybe some weight gain . . . there's going to be some belly prominence if that stuff happens.

Still, I don't see why a person who could see abs when young couldn't get that back when older . . . except the part where there's a lot of work involved. :D For sure, I'd expect it to require getting down to fairly low body fat at any age. I will add that I believe there's some limited research - iffy - suggesting that weight training is helpful in reducing central fat post-menopausally.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    There has been some research suggesting the distribution of fat can change in menopause, to become more focused around the mid-section. But it’s not an “either /or” situation, ie you may end up with a bit more abdominal fat but you’ll still put it on elsewhere if you eat more calories than you burn. I’ve been in peri for about 4 years now and I personally haven’t noticed a change in fat distribution: I am a good old pear shape and still put fat on my legs, bum and tummy.

I lift weights and I’ve built a fair amount of muscle and that helps me to burn more calories. It makes it easier to keep to a maintenance weight but I will still put on fat if I eat over my set calorie range.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited April 1
    Options
    If you believe it, it’s not a myth.

If you say screw it and do something about it, it is. A myth.

40% of my body weight lost, eight years after menopause. Tracking food and exercise, and getting off my hind end.

Get out there and make your own truth.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    BTW, my gym started as a hospital rehab center, and tends to an older clientele.

I would say that 75% of the women in my “muscle madness” class are over 60- several in their 70’s. The instructor is 64.

These ladies look fabulous! Some, that’s all they do, some also run, walk the indoor track, or work out in the gym, too. Most are doing the stretch classes, and some do the gym-run yoga classes.

They are too tame for me, so I do yoga elsewhere. 😂
  • Kateye69
    Kateye69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! Im new to MFP and am looking for a community! I only work Sat and Sun so I could realistically check in M-F... I need the community for help with accountability in the beginning. Once I build a rhythm I will be good to go!
    I am 46 years old and I have 100 pounds to lose. Where are my people!?!
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 815 Member
    edited April 1
    Options
    I’m 46, in perimenopause, and lost weight (about thirty pounds) without issues. I do the basics: modest deficit, mostly whole foods, moderate exercise. I didn’t notice any differences from the last time I’ve lost weight, about 10 years ago. So I agree with those who say it’s a myth and don’t overthink it/don’t buy into what might be marketing. My cycle is not as regular now and I notice PMS more (could be increased awareness from tracking). But weight loss and building muscle work as expected. 💪🏻.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Kateye69 wrote: »
    Hello! Im new to MFP and am looking for a community! I only work Sat and Sun so I could realistically check in M-F... I need the community for help with accountability in the beginning. Once I build a rhythm I will be good to go!
    I am 46 years old and I have 100 pounds to lose. Where are my people!?!

@Kateye66, a good one to consider might be this one, for people who have or had 75 or more pounds to lose:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

It's active, and has lots of level-headed, sensible, supportive people - at all stages of the process.