Qsymia

Options
My endocrinologist started me on Qsymia (today is my first day). Has anyone tried it? What results have you gotten? Anything positive/negative you've found about it?

Replies

• AnnaMW2013
    AnnaMW2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just started it yesterday.
  • Queen2ThreeKings
    Options
    I am on qysmia too. I'm not done with the initial 14 days yet. So far I'm finding the my hunger is 100% curbed. I feel a slight tinge of hunger in the afternoon and in the evening. So I am using this to make the lifestyle change that I never could before. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and salad with lean meat for lunch and dinner. I don't snack. I'm not hungry hardly ever. I drink tons of water. I will keep doing this as long as possible. If I'm not hungry why should I eat pizza and dessert? I'm using this time to change my eating habits. Other than this I'm using my treadmill at least 3x a week trying to work up to 5. Prior to qsymia I lost 18 pounds and hit a dead end but I haven't gained it back.

There are others here who will start with the just eat right and exercise and say no to drugs speech. I say when you reach a certain point do what you have too. It's your body so I would never respond to anyone that drugs or surgery are bad. We already know about eating right and exercising. You have to live with that body and when you don't like you should do whatever you want to get it the way you want it to look. So I don't ask for opinions. I'm doing what I want to do with my body.

I'll friend you guys so we can keep up with each others progress.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi - I took Qsymia for 3 weeks now, to see what would happen. the first two weeks of the lower dose, i was ok. the 3rd week not so good, it was too strong for me or else a perfect storm of things to tottally eff up my system happened at the same time which totally made me think i needed to go to the emergency room, not sure what it was. I was not drinking enough water and became very constipated so that I am still having tummy pains for 4 days now. I asked the doc to take me off Qsymia completely because to me im not willing to go thru this just to lose weight. coincidentally when the medicine was upped to the stronger dose on thursday last week, i also had mostly fast food since wednesday though within my calories, but, not much veg or salad, some greasy tacos, no fruit, not enough water, and barbecue catered in to work, sandwiches, i fit it in my calories but for some reason not paying attention to eating enough nutrititous foods, and it sort of turned into a cement brick inside me :( ugh and perhaps the Qsymia may have dehydrated me somewhat, not sure 100%. also i met with my son and we had an emotional talk and what he said - stress all of a sudden hit me like a truck rammed into my chest (stress).

Two funny side effects - soda pop truly did taste weird like they said it would and i really did develop a case of chatty mouth :) and couldn't stop talking once you got me going. I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks using Qsymia.

to get my body back to working again, im eating salads, veg, water, and no meat.

Not sure what happened, all was fine till the Qsymia was upped the higher dosage, but who knows if it was slowly developing in that first two weeks or if the perfect storm was happening slowly, or if was that dang bbq or what.. but anyhoo, back to just MFP and being good haha!

oh yeah, and i kept within my calories between this week and last week, and i lost 5 pounds , i am sure part of that was i was sick and coudnt' eat some days.. sheesh, seeing the scale go down 5 pounds scared the bejeezus out of me.. where the heck did that come from? thats not normal ... thats when i knew something was too severe on my body.. so that is when i made the decision im not taking any pills to help me lose weight, i was doing ok before. just thought i would see what it might do. so i found out.
  • BigDaveG98
    Options
    I just started the beginning dose of Qsymia yesterday. Have the typical history of rapid weight loss followed by similarly rapid weight gain back, so my weight management doctor suggested I try Qsymia. 2 days into the beginning dose I am feeling jittery, but not hungry at all. Anna and ElizabethAnne, how are you doing on it?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just Googled it. Side effects sound absolutely fabulous!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Just Googled it. Side effects sound absolutely fabulous!

^ THIS

Calorie deficient and some exercise and lots of patience and you won't have to deal with these.
  • AnnaMW2013
    AnnaMW2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm still trucking along. I tracked all summer 1600 cal diet worked out, lost 5 pounds all summer long. I was so disappointed and discouraged. i've now been on Q for 14 weeks and lost 25 pounds. I haven't experienced any major side effects. Minor side effects, carbonated beverages taste disgusting, and occasional limb tingling.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    I am on qysmia too. I'm not done with the initial 14 days yet. So far I'm finding the my hunger is 100% curbed. I feel a slight tinge of hunger in the afternoon and in the evening. So I am using this to make the lifestyle change that I never could before. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and salad with lean meat for lunch and dinner. I don't snack. I'm not hungry hardly ever. I drink tons of water. I will keep doing this as long as possible. If I'm not hungry why should I eat pizza and dessert? I'm using this time to change my eating habits. Other than this I'm using my treadmill at least 3x a week trying to work up to 5. Prior to qsymia I lost 18 pounds and hit a dead end but I haven't gained it back.

There are others here who will start with the just eat right and exercise and say no to drugs speech. I say when you reach a certain point do what you have too. It's your body so I would never respond to anyone that drugs or surgery are bad. We already know about eating right and exercising. You have to live with that body and when you don't like you should do whatever you want to get it the way you want it to look. So I don't ask for opinions. I'm doing what I want to do with my body.

I'll friend you guys so we can keep up with each others progress.

So you will never eat pizza or dessert again? Sorry, I do not believe in such deprivation. That is not a realistic life style change for many people. Especially since there is 0 reason to give it up as long as you watch your portions and overall calories. In fact, I am having pizza this week. Homemade. It will be very tasty.

And I do not agree with doing "anything you can". Sorry, but that is just a bit out there. People do some crazy stuff and, to me, that includes most weight loss drugs. Anything with the side effects listed like this has? Heck no. Not when it is 100% optional!
  • hart438
    hart438 Posts: 3
    Options
    My doctor started me qsymia and today was my first pill. I am a type 2 diabetic and needed help in getting this weight off. I took my pill @ 930 am and so far no reaction. I'm eating a 1200 calorie plan. Will weigh in next Sunday. :smile: :smile:
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I am on day 6, still the lowest dose.
    This once a day pill starter dose goes for 14 days.

No noticable effects yet.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Day 10, no weight change.

I might have a little paraesthesia in my fingertips. It might be nothing, I'll check back in.

The meds say:
    The most common adverse reactions in:

Adults (incidence ≥ 5% and at least 1.5 times placebo) are: paraesthesia, dizziness, dysgeusia, insomnia, constipation, and dry mouth
    • paraesthesia (pins and needles, a pricking, burning, tingling or numbing sensation that's usually felt in the arms, legs, hands or feet.)
    • dysgeusia (altered tastes: salty, sweet, metalic)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Hey Chris: are you also logging food at the same time? What would be your expected weight change based on logging if you are? What deficit are you targeting, if any specific one?
  • chris_in_cal
    edited February 21
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    What would be your expected weight change based on logging if you are? What deficit are you targeting, if any specific one?
    I'm keeping the CICO/food logging concept separate from this meds effort here.

My medical doctor had me attend a months long set of classes on food, nutrition, health, and wellbeing. The prerequisite to be prescribed this med is to be educated on health and lifestyle change....which they did.

To answer your question, I am going to try and log today. I kind of forget what the MFP setting have for my activity/goals etc. My half marathon training plan has me doing a :50 minute run, that I'll do after work today. The race is in about 60 days, and I should be able to run the whole thing barring injury between now and then. I'm about 100 lbs. over where I imagine I'd be super lean.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited February 21
    Options
    Take it easy on the joints! Though it sounds like you've at least got a good training plan.

I am from a distance trying to figure out methods I guess.

I understand conceptually wanting to keep the effects of meds within a separate compartment so as to better evaluate benefit vs risk.

Because you have been reporting no weight change was why I asked.

You've maybe already shared (or not and don't want to which is fine too) what the high level plan is.

At a guess whole/minimally processed foods plus appetite suppressant should see some scale movement is that what the high level plan is?

Again my apologies if it is already shared and I've forgotten or If you would rather not discuss and I'm intruding!
  • chris_in_cal
    edited February 26
    Options
    Here is where I am @Udare2bu , the first day of week 3. The "recommended" dose.

Starter Dose
    • Take 1 Qsymia 3.75 mg/23 mg capsule once each morning for the first 2 weeks.
    • You may or may not lose weight during this starter dose period. If not, don’t be discouraged. Move onto the prescribed recommended dose for weight-loss results.

On the first day of week 3, you will start the recommended dose,
    • Qsymia 7.5 mg/46 mg capsule
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I took my last dose of Qsymia today.

I asked the doctor what I need to carefully stop and they suggest for a week I switch for every other day for a week. I did that, and today is the last day.

I took the start dose for 14 days.
    I took the first full dose for 30 days and then got the second bottle.
    The second bottle is where I started to ween off and I only finished for of them.

So about about 50 doses.

I lost about three pounds.

I had many side effects, and I didn't like being on the drug. But the side effect weren't horrible for me.
    Between not liking it, and not having strong results, I'm off it.

I does not work for a lot of people, and it does work for some. I'm in the former category. Good luck everyone.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I took my last dose of Qsymia today.

I asked the doctor what I need to carefully stop and they suggest for a week I switch for every other day for a week. I did that, and today is the last day.

I took the start dose for 14 days.
    I took the first full dose for 30 days and then got the second bottle.
    The second bottle is where I started to ween off and I only finished for of them.

So about about 50 doses.

I lost about three pounds.

I had many side effects, and I didn't like being on the drug. But the side effect weren't horrible for me.
    Between not liking it, and not having strong results, I'm off it.

I does not work for a lot of people, and it does work for some. I'm in the former category. Good luck everyone.

This was like my experience with Contrave. I could not tolerate the side effects. While it works for some people, I was not one of them.

0get6dkcfdv7.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that that didn't work for you, Chris. Hang in there, keep with it - I hope you'll find a strategy that works for you!